Alert: Next decades Netherlands will be the new Hungary of Europe. Once great, but slipped into mediocrity.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Sep 3, 2012.

?

Will the Netherlands be the new Hungary of Europe? Once great, but slipped into mediocrity?

1. That's an understatement. It is going to be far worse.

10.9%
  2. I agree, we will slip into severe mediocrity. Hungary sounds about right.

5.5%
  3. No, not really, we will be the new Belgium, that so now and then will produce a Hazard through luck.

20.9%
  4. No, football is a cyclical thing, in a few years we will be as strong as always.

46.4%
  5. What a ridiculous Poll. Netherlands will even improve over time and finally win the WC.

16.4%
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    They've played less than a handful of matches and people are drawing these kinds of conclusions right now? Crazy if you ask me.

2. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Afonso Alves.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^How quickly I forgot about him!!! Goal scoring machine in Holland and a big nothing everywhere else. He's a free agent right now if anyone is interested.;)

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Kuyt, Kezman, Allback... all mediocre elsewhere.

And also Suarez, Farfan, Kalou and Nkufo who did not anywhere score the same amount of goals as in the Eredivisie.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm not really sure how N'Kufo fits into that group. He was rubbish before he joined Twente and stayed at Twente for many, many years, retired in the MLS.

6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That's what I mean. Nkufo scored less in the second Bundesliga.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The other players you named all had the eredivisie as the starting point of their career. NKufo did not.

8. KPSmit

KPSmit Member

Nov 26, 2011
    New York
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    After watching both the Turkey and Hungary games, i want to throw this question out there. Of course there are the questions in the back, RvR or VDW, Heitinga or Vlaar, BMI or Viergever or Mathijsen, and Willems or Pieters?

But, what about the midfield? I think its clear that Strootman does not belong in the attack minded slot, but possibly the DM? Personally, i would like to see the likes of Afellay and Wijnaldum (sp) tried in there next to Sneijder. Also, is De Jong done? And what about VDV, is he done? if so, i think our midfield should be (or atleast tried) as

Strootman(De Jong)
    Sneijder Afellay(Wijnaldum)

I also think Elia should be given another shot once he hits form in Germany. Robben and Elia wingers would surely be something to watch.

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Fine, but the point was that all of them more or less failed outside the Netherlands.

Anyway, you are consequently saying that the youth facilities in the Netherlands are good but a recent review by the UEFA slams the Dutch facilities. Funnily, Vitesse with their big money does very well and is building a new accommodation.
    Manchester City spends 12 million a year on their youth program, which the Dutch clubs can't afford.

10. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Much of City's youth program is spent on snapping up non-domestic talent, hardly a model to follow. City did have an excellent youth system not to long back which produced the likes of Sturridge, Richards and Barton. A shame.

11. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Facilities are overrated, knowledge and a good climate to grow is far more important. Why does a "nicer" building provides better players? It's nonsense you need 12 million euro's a year to produce world-class players. Football can't be compared with track cycling, where you can see almost a direct connection with the amount of money invested and the return.

The advantages you gain by having a innovation center are minimal compared with the advantages you can gain by means that do not require large amounts of money. Football is not based on measure -> interpret -> improve -> better. The effects you gain by being slightly faster, slightly better eating, slightly better balance, being able to kick a ball slightly fasters do exist. But while "slightly" is very, very important in track cycling and speed skating, football consists of so many other factors, such as game vision. You can use video-analysis to improve this, but this is not expensive. Doesn't mean money can't be useful, but it should not be overvalued.

The only current danger of Dutch football is that the wages of trainers will explodate so much, that the Dutch can only afford second rated coaches.

Rebaño_Sagrado repped this.
  12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1049/Oranje/...-talenten-hebben-waag-ik-te-betwijfelen.dhtml

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    But every 0.01% counts.

Agree.

14. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It would be interesting to get a perspective on why Hungary so fell off the football map and what lessons there might be there.

15. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    IMO it is also interesting why USA fell off the tennis map in the men's game and after the Williams sisters also off the women's game.

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    In the heydays of Hungary (1920s-1960s) also the surrounding countries like Austria and Czechoslovakia in particular were strong. Network-effects might provide an explanation but why this particular area in the world has declined, that is a good question.

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Problem in the US is that a lot of young kids don't like to play anything other than computer games. Same thing is happening in golf with the rise of lots of Asian and European golfers on both the men's and women's sides.

18. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So what you're saying is that we'll kick SS at virtual tennis and golf, not so much at the real stuff :p

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    What facilities do they slam, exactly? I'm talking about amateur clubs here. Can't imagine UEFA doing an in-depth analysis of those. Dutch football is built on the strength of amateur football. The premiership probably has excellent facilities. How much youth have they got coming through?

20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That is an outdated approach.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    We've got a mickey mouse league, no money in professional football, and a relatively small population. So why do you think we're a consistent top 10 football nation? Because the Dutch are genetically better footballers or something? Our amateur clubs do all the groundwork.

vagegast and KPSmit repped this.
  22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Did you read the summary of Paganitzu on the previous page? Amateur football is not enough as solid basis.

23. No, it isnot enough, but that's not the argument.
    It is the basis on which the Dutch Youth Academies can build there track record, because they get the talents from there. That basis is lacking in the UK!!
    The UEFA or FIFA can big up the facilities of the other leagues academies, but what matters more on that level is what the philosophy is and the coaching qualities that
    accompany that. And in that department we are front runners.
    By the way, I was surprised that the UK werenot capable of producing a winning tennis player for 76 years! In a population 4 times of ours and how many did we have in that period?

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Why do you think the Dutch national team is successful considering that we're a) a relatively small country b) have a mickey mouse professional league?

25. John K

John K Member

Nov 8, 2007
    A massive 1 ...