Next Coach Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kayak, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Porter's not going to leave Portland any time soon. I doubt GBS is leaving Lanus anytime soon, though we might have a better shot at getting him to come back to the US. (Of course, we may be stuck with Robert for a while yet.)

It's clearly going to be Bliss next. I'd rather have GBS, but I'm OK with Bliss. I think he's done good things for the team. It has been repeatedly clear that he and Robert don't see eye to eye about tactics, so I don't expect we'd be stuck with Warzycha v2. BG13 succinctly said it on the first page:

2. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I wasn't suggesting Porter now. No way we can pry him away from Portland.

3. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Bliss is an interesting topic of conversation in and of himself though; would he keep the old guard or do you think he'd want his own coaching staff. I would assume at this point he'd bring in some fresh faces who that would be I have no idea.

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    If Bliss became coach midseason, there likely wouldn't be other changes til after the season. Lapper and Iribarren have been here longer than BB and have gotten results in the reserve league so I don't think they're really part of the problem. I'm in favor of firing RW posthaste, promoting BB, and seeing how things turn out. We could do a better job of evaluation in the offseason.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about the next guy, but I'm curious as to why the mods closed the Fire Warzycha thread.

What's the deal there?

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very weird. I can hit that link and it comes right up but it doesn't show in the thread list.

8. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no doubt in my mind that BB is the next coach of this team. He has previous HC experience at the first team level, has done remarkably well at the Academy level, and has the respect of the young guys (Lampson, Trapp, Speas, Barson, etc).

I'm not sure what that means for Lapper and Irribarren though. If RW gets canned midseason this year, they'll be here for the remainder of the season. However, if it's a housecleaning at the end of the season and BB is the man, I'm not sure what their relationships are with BB.

BB is really tight with his academy coaches and has made it clear that he wants them to go with him (if they can) to wherever his next stop is. He interviewed for MTL, NER, and I think Colorado (?)... And in at least two of those instances, conditional offers were extended to at least one of the academy coaches, possibly more.

All that being said, hasn't ABMOD done a pretty good job with the national pool that he's been involved with? Something about him as a coach, I really like. I hated him as a player, and maybe that's why.

I would also love to see Wynalda show up here (flame away).

The same for Ramos.

All four are ex National Team players with WC experience and a lot of attitude. I think in most cases, they would demand player respect, much like Sigi did.

9. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bliss was up for the KC job, here is a link of what Bliss has won with the Crew Jrs, back to back USL Super 20s and U19s, 2010 and 2012 USYS National Champions
    http://www.thecrewyouth.com/1920/

10. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I have to say this:

Eric Wynalda is a big flaming piece of shit who, based on the things he says on Fox Soccer, knows next to nothing. He repeats whatever the conventional wisdom is on any given topic and acts like it's all so outrageously edgy, signalling with a little smirk that he's just been clever and witty so it's time for us to admire him.

You want to pick a former USMNT forward, why not a good one, like McBride? Not that I want him either, but why on Earth would you want Eric the Douche?

He's a jerkwad of the first water and I would be nauseated to see him on the Crew sideline.

11. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    You can't deny what he has done in Atlanta. For the first season and a half the Silverbacks were the bottom of the barrel team in NASL. Wynalda came in and turned them around and then when he moved up to technical director he brought in Haynes to coach which is looking like a very wise decision seeing how Atlanta is challenging for the spring championship. Gotta give Wynalda some credit where it is due.

12. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't he do something decent with the "amateur" USOC team a couple years ago as well?

13. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Yea he did last year and he took the best players from that side to Atlanta with him.

14. JackCaz

JackCaz Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

I kid, I kid. At this point, I'll take anyone who doesn't have the philosophy of doing less with more like our current coach does.

15. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    But a flaming piece is better than the piece we have right now that is just sitting there. I mean, c'mon! It's flaming! It's doing something!

He's down my list quite a ways but I would not rule him out entirely. Yeah, he can be a bit off an a-hole but, heck, so is Arena. Of course, he could just end up being the coaching version of Ante Razov where I turn around later and go, "Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking."

Bill Archer repped this.
  16. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By this, it's safe to assume that our scoreboard has done more than RW has this season.

Bill Archer and crewfan_in_columbus repped this.
  17. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    I think he would concur along the lines of.. "Well, it is aflame and I am not aflame so it must be doing something because it's on fire and I am not on fire. If I was on fire, then I would not be not on fire. So therefore that is correct."

18. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! That was perfect! So much so that I had the check myself from thinking that somehow I was converse directly with the muppet of coaching himself.

19. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone please buy a PowerBall ticket. So one of us can buy the Crew and get some sh!t done with this club.

stanger and scornflakes repped this.
  20. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't follow the lower leagues as close as some on here, but Wynalda's success seems pretty legit... douche or not.

21. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Well lower leagues wise do like what the NASL has done and would say the product presentation is a lot better then USL-Pro.

22. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I throw this out there again... Colin Clarke.

23. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Manny Lagos would be another to throw in the mix.

24. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Manny is name I threw out there now and again too in the past. Now, I think he plays out more time with MNUFC (the Loons). They have a new owner committed to the team who is signing top (NASL) players and looking to possibly build a stadium (plus the usual token rumblings about making a run at MLS franchise). The Lagos legacy runs deep in MN and it would not surprise me if he stuck around for a few years during this new phase.

eclipse02 repped this.
  25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I see Steve Nichol on ESPN and wonder if he wants to return to MLS. He did fine with even cheaper owners than the Crew.