Next Coach Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kayak, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know what Milena Iribarren is up to these days? Asst. coach position, perhaps?

2. StatesideSoccer

May 17, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. aircanada12

aircanada12 Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    heyo! haha
    do you guys want a middle aged, slightly overweight, egotistical maniac who doesnt know tactics but he just keeps winning? Because I feel that a lot of galaxy fans would be more then happy to ship out Bruce Arena

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Why are Galaxy fans unhappy with Arena?

We lost our overweight, egotistical coach and suffered for it.

5. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Woooooooo. He is available now, so I would not recommend him anymore.

6. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Before we get Mod stomped this stuff should go here. If we can't get GBS and we start out slow I'd be happy with Richie Williams.

eclipse02 repped this.
  7. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Another name to throw in the hat is Wynalda.

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    unrep

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if you're planning on throwing the hat into the river.

west ham sandwich repped this.
  11. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    I will say this for Bliss I have not read or heard a single bad word about him from a single player he's coached. Yes they've had success and success normally brings with it at least a certain amount of contentment. But for those that want to lump everyone into one group and say if you want to dump Robert you have to dump Bliss too I don't buy that. I've seen players say his training is tough, I've seen players say he's uncompromising and he's willing to critique a player if he thinks they're not doing something to the best of their ability. Some of these things have come from guys when asked about their time with the super 20's after having been drafted by another team. Say what you will about Bliss but the players that have played for him show respect for him and speak highly about him. I for one am amazed no one has given him a shot yet.

eclipse02 repped this.
  12. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    You say warzycha and I say wynalda, let's call the whole thing off.

Smithsoccer1721 repped this.
  13. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about bringing back Andrulis? Or gambling on Sampson?

I'm kidding of course.

14. jackmann

jackmann Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Cowtown
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Death to the infidal !!!:D

15. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Other GBS, Bliss is my top realistic choice.

16. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    This is probably actuate, I really want Ives to stop talking about Williams to Red Bull. It's not that I really think he has that much influence but he might convince someone to get over themselves and make the right move. I would really like Williams to be available when we're looking next time because I think he could make an excellent MLS coach. I think there's too much pride on the Red Bull side to admit that they made a mistake though to that's better for everyone else.

Jake Folan repped this.
  17. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new GM seems to be willing to say they have made mistakes. Even as much since he backtracked on his New York 2.0 statements. Also, he has made comments about signing different players that they have in the past.

18. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Yeah I'm just going off of what Ives is putting out there and he seems to think New York won't get over firing him to give him the job.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robert is, unfortunately, going to be back next year. When we choke, he'll be gone. I think Bliss and GBS should be the main candidates.

Top of the line coaches win a LOT of the MLS titles. Arena, Dom K., Sigi, Yallop, & Bradley seem to have won almost every MLS Cup. Throw in two other USA coaches to win the title (Gansler & Samson) and you virtually have every MLS title accounted for. Think I'm exaggerating?

Arena = 4. DC in '96, '97, LA in 2011, and 2012.
    Sigi = 2. LA in '02, Crew in '08.
    Yallop = 2. SJ in '01 and '03. Built the DynoQuakes.
    Kinnear = 2. Houston in '06-'07 with the team thap Yallop built. Yallop assistant in SJ.
    Bradley = 1. Chicago in '98. Arena assistant. USA coach.
    Gansler = 1. KC in '00. USA coach in '90.
    Sampson = 1. LA in '05. Getting Landon helped. Former USA boss in '98.

13 MLS Cups among those seven, 10 in the Arena, Sigi, Yallop, Kinnear quartet. Many more finals appearances, Supporter's Shields, USOCs, and even a couple CONCACAFs. And some other trophies have certainly been won with what they left behind (Rongen in DC, Warzycha's Shield in Columbus, Sampson with Sigi's team in LA, etc).

Other coaches:
    Rongen = 1. DC in '99 with Arena's team.
    Nowak = 1. DC in '04.
    Kreis = 1. RSL in '09
    Smith = 1. Colorado in '10.

Only 4 have been what by what I'd call the non-elite group, and one of those (Ronger with Arena's DC team in '99) was clearly attributable to Arena.

Point being, if you want to win, you need an elite coach in this league. We don't have one.

KCbus, foozer, THOMA GOL and 1 other person repped this.
  20. aircanada12

aircanada12 Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    jesse marsch might not be a bad choice
    fantastic first season with montreal yet he probably got fired because hes not italian enough.
    Backe is a good option too, i dont think the problems in new york were all on him

21. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012

F no.

eboe and JB the First repped this.
  22. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please throw yourself down a well.

Thank you.

DAFCrew and eboe repped this.
  23. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Based on some of the recent posts on this thread, and my utter disdain upon reading them, I propose thusly: Let Wynalda and Marsch fight to the death. Throw the winner into this damned hat you're talking about. Drive over the hat with a steam roller. If possible, have the bearded clam drive the steam roller so that he is implicated on murder charges.

It's win, win . . . win.

jackmann and StatesideSoccer repped this.
  24. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    So I admit of my top five choices one totally bombed, John Spencer, two are doing pretty well to be GBS and Porter, and I don't think Martin Rennie is doing that bad not great either. Now I'm down to Richie Williams or my original top five will all be gone. I've said I think Robert will last until the end of the season unless we slide down to DC territory. With the potential of Olsen being shown the door and Klopas potentially being scapegoated at the end of the season if we're not going to keep him it might be best to get our guy before the hunt begins.

25. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Richie EVER coaches this team I will go mental (more than I already am). Porter is doing more than pretty well. Has them in 2nd in the west. Playing a nice style. Getting points on the road, something they never did last season. Porter or GBS would have been my choices. GBS is my 1st choice. He would carry that clout that players would respect.