Next Coach Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kayak, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice to see all the managers salaries for all of MLS.

2. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Wait one second. Are you telling me that we have to pay "Major League" ticket prices, but we can not pay more than a college team for the head coach?

3. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2008 the average salary for an MLS coach was $250,00 (wish I had the link but I don't). And I believe Arena topped the list at like $600,000 or there abouts.

I'd venture to guess the MLS average is in that $300-350 range now. And, I would also guess that RW is towards the smaller end of the average.

So basically, I'd bet Porter would just be getting around the same he is getting now (or say give or take 50-100 grand), but without the stability and control he has at Akron. Also, correct me if I am wrong, he is technically a public employee. Pretty decent retirement system that only gets better the longer he stays.

I wonder if the $350,000 he is making was a step up to match the offers MLS teams were throwing around a couple years ago?

I think the only thing that might help lure him away is if he as more US Soccer ambitions (he's with some youth squads now right?). He'd have to prove himself in MLS if he wanted to move up, but hey, he might be fine where he is.

4. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    They spent more than this on Mendoza last year. Maybe they haven't signed a DP yet because they're saving for a certain coach?

5. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS lists Porter as a top 5 candidate to take over Portland.

And from that same article, two names I haven't seen around here that I wouldn't mind seeing:

Carl Robinson — In his first year as an assistant in Vancouver, the former Welsh international has commanded respect in every locker room he has been part of as a player. He has UEFA licenses, strong international contacts and a charisma that would be infectious in Portland.
    Tab Ramos
    — Would make for an intriguing selection if they can pry him away from the US Under-20 program. He has worked his way up from an academy team coach in New Jersey to a position in the national team system. If his coaching philosophy is half as entertaining as his playing style, he has the potential to be a hit. And the Spanish-language skills don't hurt.

6. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    some American football college coaches make more than NFL coaches.

7. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I believe Porter would say no to Portland based solely on their field dimensions.

8. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I've heard before that he really doesn't want to leave Ohio, but I have absolutely nothing to back that up with.

9. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    so college football is comparable in scale to college soccer? TV Deals, endorsements etc

10. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I've always been curious who else besides RW showed interest in the job after Sigi left. It was a given that RW would get the job, but I wonder just how much attention that opening got considering it was a team who had just won the double and was surely going to re-sign Schelotto and Marshall.

11. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

foozer and 110toyourleft repped this.
  12. odave

odave Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Do it!

13. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Be Champions!

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  14. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go from one muppet to the next? lol

chr1st repped this.
  15. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very nice, dumass!

16. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    Who the hell would agree to that contract? It's too hard to get out of if you have aspirations.

17. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    No idea why anyone would want to sign a contract worth over $3 million to coach soccer in the US

18. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    It's too hard to get out of.

19. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Or, it makes an MLS team have to spend more to acquire him. His ascension to the MLS is inevitable. He's only 36 so he's got a long coaching career ahead of him. I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago went after him as well.

20. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    NASL coaches
    Manny Lagos(knows how to win on a shoe string budget and put out an Attractive product.)
    Colin Clarke (knows how to win.)
    Eric Wynalda (Post game interviews would never be boring and he took the worst team in NASL last year and this year and completely changed their mentality.)

21. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and if you think the league hates us now . . . . . .

22. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Maybe its a perfect fit. lol

23. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Eric Wynalda did with Cal Fc and how they beat Portland, I thought it was a great idea to have players that did not make a MLS team and have them try to make a run at the Open Cup and showcase their talents.

I made a comment on twitter about how a MLS team should hire Eric Wynalda, he responded that will never happen.

24. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For that much you could have gotten a Brazillion.

25. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he doesn't have aspirations to go anywhere in the near future regarding soccer. Maybe he wants to be around his kids until they're older. Could it be that *oh, shock* he loves the area and just doesn't want to move to fulfill *oh, shock* other peoples unreasonable dreams for his future.

I'd love to have him here, but I think he did well on that contract. Its a fricking college soccer contract worth 7 figures. Hot damn, he did well.

JB the First and Kayak repped this.