News & Media II: Articles, photos, videos, etc.

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, Jan 26, 2009.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was only done in the last day or two. I agree with you...it seems too busy. I'm still getting used to it.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

It works much better with iOS. The old one had menus which floated in the middle of the screen or disappeared randomly.

But yeah, it will take getting use to. Let's hope they lost flash.

3. lunatica

lunatica Member+

Nov 20, 2013
    If only U.S. Soccer would update information on their website regularly...

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been tabletized, appified (not Applefied), win8ted.

I just upgraded my gaming laptop from Windows 7 to 8.1 (very smooth, automatic, runs fine), and the Start page (with app tiles) looks just like US Soccer. They upgraded too :laugh:

Next: a MatchTracker app!! oh the anticipation --

sitruc repped this.
  5. mamalia

mamalia Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Cincinnati OH US
    That makes sense. Thanks for explaining. I have a few places I go that have recently adopted this type of 'look' so I guess that is what is going on... as you can tell, I am not keeping up-to-date with the tech world.

kernel_thai repped this.
  6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's only been like that a couple days. And yes, it seems like a jumble to me as well

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They updated it yesterday. I hate it. It has potential. I like how the page is displayed and the Windows 8 tablet/touch friendly style. I hate that full articles are on the first page. I really hate that. That makes much of the site unfriendly and unusable.

kernel_thai repped this.
  8. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    I noticed it changed yesterday, when I went to look at the schedule and I got a page not found error... (which is really poor web development, if you change the location, you should leave a permanent redirect in the old page locations to the new ones)

The new site is not an upgrade, now I can't filter out just a specific team. Plus when I went to look at the results (which took forever to find), the games aren't listed in chronological order. I guess whoever is making the decisions about jersey designs also made the web site design decisions as well...

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    LOL

10. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'll agree with you on the black kit; I actually liked that one.

I feel like a lot of people are taking this jersey way too seriously. So maybe the designers went a little overboard on the color [maybe overcompensating for the complete lack of color in the home kit?], and didn't use as much imagination as they could have incorporating elements of our flag. But I still think it looks [fairly] distinctly American. The French team [or almost any other national team in the world] isn't going to have a kit like this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2595399/USA-World-Cup-away-kit-sparks-outrage-critics-say-looks-like-FRENCH-flag.html?ico=sport^headlines

I think it looks more like the popsicle than the French flag. At any rate, I've already started to warm up to it, so if it really does look like the French flag, I guess by your logic that means I'm not American.

11. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    love it!

12. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I watched the USMNT play Mexico last night, and in my opinion the red away kit isn't horrible after all. It is bright and flashy, different from the subdued hues we've gotten used to. But it certainly is more "American" than the 2011 black widow look. I also like the new, thinner font on the numbers. Perhaps the white kit will look better in person too...I just can't get over that goofy polo collar.

The U.S. dominated the first half. The players looked quick and had a spring in their step. Obviously this had more to do with last-minute pushes to make the World Cup roster than with fashion. But the colorful kit sort of fit their sharp, aggressive style. Things went downhill in the second half, sadly. Nonetheless I was pleasantly surprised by the jersey.

Namdynamo, lunatica and Semblance17 repped this.
  13. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Gross.

14. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the men's team wore the white kit in the Ukraine game last month, and [to me at least] it didn't look any better on the players than it did on its own. Maybe worse, actually. The players almost looked uncomfortable. Like you say, obviously the jersey isn't going to really impact performance, but I wouldn't want to play soccer in a polo shirt.

15. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm not a fan yet either. I went to go look for the China roster page to read over the bullet points and the press release doesn't even exist anymore. Now all they have is a page that lists the camp roster and that's it.

Also, they still haven't updated the stats page with anything from the Algarve Cup which I find annoying.

16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had the stats updated on the old site, but for some reason not on the new one.

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BlueCrimson and sisterluke repped this.
  18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I believe Sermanni is always sincere when he says this stuff. Still, typically, after the US beats a team that out possessed them, Im pretty sure the losing coach is saying how they dominated play but just couldnt get any goals. Possession without finishing is nothing but foreplay.

19. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    The actual quote is "possession without penetration is just masturbation", but in this case there were plenty of penetration by the US team but just no finishing.

I absolutely agree with Sermani in this case (especially after watching the Algarve matches for the second time), if the US forwards were able to finish the numerous chances in the Algarve cup (or if Alex Morgan were playing), they would've blow out the 3 teams in the group play and there wouldn't be so much hand wringing in this forum.

lunatica repped this.
  20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yeah, but u cant acknowledge that teams will try and sit back and then counter attack and then sit there and watch them do it four times. What he should have said is we knew what they were going to do and made absolutely no adjustments to stop it ... at least until they put the starters back in.

21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly shows me what USSoccer wants to show me. I have found it very difficult to find the things I want to find. I do not like it Sam-I-Am. :thumbsdown:

ForeverLOST108 repped this.
  22. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

So, does Sam finally like green eggs and ham? :)

23. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    So the breaking news on twitter is that sermanni has been fired.

24. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: Wow, that is the absolute last thing I expected to hear. My first thought is total panic move by TPTB.

25. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Bad things happen in threes. (1) Sermanni gets fired; (2) the white uniforms are awful; and (3) the new web page is even awfuler. (Yeah, maybe that should be "more awful", but "awfuler" sounds worse than "more awful" to me.)

Are other people getting what I am? A "page not found" sign on the top half of my screen and a confusing menu list of items on the bottom half. A few days ago there were up-to-date stats on the site. Now the stats are only for the first 3 games of the season. That's awful.

holden repped this.