News: Islanders Will Sit Out Spring, Too

Discussion in 'NASL' started by kenntomasch, Dec 21, 2012.

1. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The misunderstanding doesn't exist if you simply quote it correctly instead of making it look like those were Peterson's words. Here's an idea, learn basic English grammar or use full quotes. By listing it as Bill Peterson said..., you made it look like the following words were his quote. It was a stupid way to present it. How about admitting that you did a horrible job in setting up the quoted section as if it said something that it clearly didn't. The reason the first person responded the way they did is that YOU stupidly put an ellipsis in place that suggested the following words were a quote from Peterson when they weren't. Learn how to quote or don't do it anymore.

Bluesfan repped this.
  2. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Not to mention that plenty of folks in these parts link to articles that they completely misinterpret. So if the piece and the comment don't jibe with each other, then confusion can ensue.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets all relax its just a forum people.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't sure where else to share this. I was reading through a recent article where they interviewed the owner of the future Ottawa NASL team where this was said regarding the Fall/Spring schedule:

Maybe this is just the writer's opinion. But is this where the NASL is going? Where teams pick and choose when they start? Seems odd and maybe makes the NASL lose something competitively, when a club (or clubs) only participate for half the season and potentially win the year's championship. Something to ponder.

Read the whole article here:
    http://the11.ca/2013/02/05/pugh-nasl-ottawa-to-have-coach-by-end-of-march-stadium-on-schedule/

5. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see this being a growing problem as long as they keep this split season schedule.

6. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, but like the Commish said about the Cosmos in a recent article, "just playing the fall season limits their chances of making it to the Soccer Bowl by 50 percent". So it's all good o_O .

The sad part is they may be forced to keep the split seasons in place just to accommodate new franchises in such a manner. It's a sticky situation that will need to be addressed at some point in the future.

7. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the other hand, the split season works well with the transfer window and USO Cup.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Please tell me that's sarcasm.

Jossed repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I see it less of an issue with new teams (but yes it is a bit of an issue if they win the bowl).

The biggest issue for me would be more PRI cases, where teams take 1/2 season off for what ever reason and then come back to play the other half season.

That would not be a good precedent.

10. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. This year it's too late, but next year I want the league's official line to be that the season may have a break in the middle but it's still one season, and you either play it or don't.

Bluesfan repped this.
  11. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You beat me to it.

12. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I am sure a number of clubs will look at the possibility of skipping March-July next year if something isn't done.

Given teams lose money when playing games, why would I want to play an entire year, if I still have a chance to win only playing a few months?

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure, may as well sit out the full year that way teams lose less money, I mean is not like playing one extra game (Soccer bowl) is going to give each team lots of money, shit for one team is just more travel cost, so why risk it, just take off the full year, shit just don't field a team ever, people would save millions.

GoDawgsGo repped this.
  14. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If you buy a minor league soccer team, you have to expect to lose money. But if there was a way I could play lesss games, still be part of the league, and still win the championship; I'd do it in a second. Which is why this is a problem.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The lack of playoffs, which is not universally popular with the clubs, will also save money. Just as not participating in the USOC in 2011.

But the NASL folks I talked to in Indy take the long term view. They know they're going to lose money now, and for some time moving forward.

But obviously I didn't talk to folks with every team. And not every team has the same vision, nor finances.

It will be interesting to see if they stick with the split season in 2014 or revert back to a single season.

16. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no reason why they can't keep the current format if they like it, and still insist that the apertura and clausura are two halves of a single season. That's not how they're treating it this year, but it's the third possibility for next.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far the Spring/Fall split seems only to cater to teams like Cosmos who want flexibility. I won't be surprised if next year several teams pull an Islanders, and take a break for the spring season.

18. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might as well not even bother with a spring season anymore if more teams decide to do this. Just make the season run from July to October. 11 game season play ever one once. :thumbsup::D

19. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Or as I pointed out in another thread, a few clubs might take the opportunity to take a break during the fall of this year. The league has set a very bad precedent by doing this. They should have just made the Cosmos and Islanders wait until 2014.

MLSinSTL repped this.
  20. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Shocked! Absolutely shocked! :eek:

Could see this coming from a mile away.

22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, I think everyone expected this. To be honest, I rather have PR Islanders just wait until 2014 then come in half way, like the Cosmos are. Unfortunately, I would put money on Islanders never returning to NASL at this point.

23. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This should open the opportunity for another Canadian expansion franchise if they don't come back in 2014 then.

24. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The Islanders being in or out has no bearing on future Canadian expansion. Completely unrelated.

25. jubnub

jubnub Member

Nov 3, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not completely unrelated. It would give a little more room for the 75% of all teams must be in America. Thus we could expand into Canada a little more.

TheJoeGreene repped this.