New Yorker Mag: Rumsfeld personally approved interrogation methods at Abu Ghraib

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by GringoTex, May 15, 2004.

1. TheWakeUpBomb

TheWakeUpBomb Member

Mar 2, 2000
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Isn't this how they make veal? Mmmmm, veal....

2. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    That's sausages, dumbass.

3. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it a contest? Because as badly-endowed as you might be, we can be pretty sure that your dick is bigger than mine.

Or maybe not, I dunno.

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll second that. A great read.

5. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Speak for yourself, b1tch.

6. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms

So you really are a rugged tough guy, huh? Hey, not everyone likes to go through those tortures that you think were pvssies, okay?

7. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, no, and i bet you were held in prison, cut off from your family, with no indication youd ever go free again right?

Oh, btw, the whole prolonged lack of sleep thing, did the coach follow you home to keep you up at night?

8. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Speaking of torture- whatever you did to the English language in that sentence is BADASS, man!

9. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    We weren't allowed to gome home during two-a-days. We had to stand in the gym in "break-down" position all night long. Whoever dropped to their knees first had to ******** the coach's wife.

10. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Did you coach force you listen to opera that night?

11. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    And you didn't drop your knee? pvssie!

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excuse me? That doesn't even make any sense.

Again with your fascination with the manliness of others.

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Very classy.

14. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    My god, you are not the one using Barb's pump, are you?

15. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Yes, I defended someone against whom an offensive (and largely incoherent) insult was directed, and that means that we are having sex.

16. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Back on topic....

Don Rumsfeld as Mr Blonde in Reservoir Dogs 2... "Torture you? That's good, I like that..."

After that memo about the "quaint and outdated" Geneva Convention - yeah, I see it...

17. USAsoccer

USAsoccer Member

Jul 15, 1999
    Tampa, Florida
    Again, for what it is worth...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/05/17/rights.report/index.html

Amid allegations the United States violated international conventions protecting the rights of prisoners, the U.S. State Department released a report Monday on what the country was doing to promote human rights around the world.

The second annual report was to have been released earlier this month, but it was delayed in part because State Department officials believed it would not be taken seriously amid stories of abuse of detainees by U.S. soldiers at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq.

The report, which covers U.S. efforts in 101 countries to promote press and religious freedoms, advance democratic institutions, and stop torture and other abuses, is a companion to a country-by-country study of conditions issued in February. Both reports are made to Congress as required by law.

18. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    But now that it's all blown over, people take America's commitment to human rights seriously again.

How do you do the rolling eyes smiley? And is there one where the eyes come COMPLETELY OUT OF THE FREAKING SOCKET BECAUSE THAT'S HOW FAR BACK THE EYES ARE ROLLING time for my tablet

19. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Those guards are innocent, in the military orders always come from the top, if anybody needs to be on trial its Rumsfeld, and the Commander in Chief

20. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this article certainly points to that direction (not necessarily innocent, but not the only ones who should get the blame):

The Roots of Torture
    The road to Abu Ghraib began after 9/11, when Washington wrote new rules to fight a new kind of war. A NEWSWEEK investigation
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4989422/site/newsweek/

Rumsfeld quotes: (a master of saying nothing while looking in control)
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/cs/quotethis/a/rumsfeldquotes.htm

My favorite: "Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - - the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.
    Donald H. Rumsfeld, Department of Defense news briefing, February 12, 2002"

Keep up the superb job Rummy!

21. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    For what it's worth?

Absolutely nuthin', uh huh, say it again y'all.

22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    from yesterday's Washington Post

Methods Used on 2 at Guantanamo

Intensive interrogation techniques approved by Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld were used to elicit information from two prisoners at the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, a senior Army general said yesterday.

Pentagon officials previously said Rumsfeld helped approve a list of intense interrogation techniques for Guantanamo, but Army Gen. James T. Hill said for the first time yesterday that Rumsfeld had granted permission to use those techniques in two cases. Hill, who is in charge of the U.S. Southern Command based in Miami, told reporters at the Pentagon that both prisoners were considered "high-value" detainees who have since provided important intelligence information about al Qaeda.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A14131-2004Jun3?language=printer