New Yorker Mag: Rumsfeld personally approved interrogation methods at Abu Ghraib

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by GringoTex, May 15, 2004.

1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    :)

Worst. President. Ever.

2. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    If the president is really in charge, he should be very upset on whoever who said that. Someone ought to be fired.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    caught this beauty on the daily show from a few days before the new yorker expose

"those who make allegations of a culture of deception, of intimidation or cover up, need to be extremely careful" - rummy, at his unintentionally funniest

4. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its close. Nixon. Prez who died first month in office.

FWIW, Jonh Adams and John Quincy Adams were both one-term presidents.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow. Donald Rumsfeld has become Don Rumsfeld. I'm not shocked (and I was never awed), but I really hope he's been misquoted here.

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You know, Reagan at least had a doctor's note excusing him for being completely out of the loop. Bush actively chooses to be out of the loop - I realize when he was elected, part of his appeal was his CEO-style approach, hiring smart people and staying the hell out of the way, but this is going a bit too far, no?

7. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    He did hire some smart people. Too bad he didn't hire any wise people.

8. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    No. Not even close. Nixon was an out-and-out bastard, but not only did he give us the EPA, he also made the moves toward detente with the Soviet Union and China -- moves which, I'm convinced, eventually destroyed the former and transformed the latter. If Nixon had screwed up as badly with those two countries as Bush has with Iraq, cockroaches would be the dominant form of life on earth.

And William Henry Harrison didn't live long enough to screw anything up, which puts him ahead of at least not only Bush and Nixon, but also Harding, Hoover, Pierce and Buchanan.

And both of them no doubt spinning in their graves at the next father-son duo to succeed them. I'm going to take this opportunity to heartily recommend David McCullough's John Adams. Not as good as [URL="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671456547/qid=1084729532/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-4110483-6819141?v=glance&s=books]Truman[/URL], IMHO, but still worth the read.

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i took it right off the news coverage clip of him saying it... so ummmm he said it

you can see for yourself if you want to download the torrent - may 12 episode, you can find it at www.suprnova.org

10. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

beat me to it

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Jesus.

Shall we start calling him Rumsfeldeone? Rumsfeldini? Rumsfeldotti? I'd make a joke about someone leaving a donkey's severed head under English's sheets, but I know that one won't go over too well just now, what with Berg's execution and all.

You know, I was just thinking that Rumsfeld, Rice, Cheney and co. could all make more $$$ in the private sector than they do with the jobs they have now. I can't imagine how threatening folks' lives makes theirs any simpler. Maybe it's the power, I dunno.

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i didnt take it as a threat like that, just that he was pretending to be all righteous and throwing around his "dont mess with me" vibe

... ahhhh sweet irony

13. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Weren't William Henry and Benjamin Harrison father and son?

Is anyone actually that surprised that this can be traced to civilian leadership? I suppose so - people tried to believe that it was just the Original Six Redneck Mapplethorpes. I mean, from what little I understand about the military, you get cracked on for peeling potatoes the wrong direction, but they allowed full on improvisation with Iraqi detainees? Unfreakinglikely.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grandfather and grandson.

15. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Speaking of that, where's USASoccer to explain to us how all soldiers are heroes and have honor? And that we're barely good enough to lick their boots?

16. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Iran-Contra flashbacks, anyone?

As much as W has tried to distance himself from his father's legacy, the shiny lure of the George the First's patented "I was out of that loop" Iran-Contra defense is just too strong.

Must ... replicate ... history.

For me, that steaming pile of denial poo from GB1st has always been one of the greatest insults to American intelligence in 20th century. He was the former head of the frickin CIA for god's sake and the no one bothers to press him on an "I was out of the loop" plea of ignorance. Pathetic.

Unfortunately, now it's all too easy to believe -- and sell -- that Sparky is actually miles and miles and miles outside of loops of significance.

17. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Five Techniques:

Wall-Standing: Forcing the detainees to remain for periods of some hours in a "stress position," described by those who underwent it as being "spread-eagled against the wall, with their fingers put high above the head against the wall, the legs spread apart and the feet back, causing them to stand on their toes with the weight of the body mainly on the fingers.

Hooding: Putting a black or navy colored bag over the detainees' heads and, at least initially, keeping it there all the time except during interrogation.

Subjection to Noise: Pending their interrogations, holding the detainees in a room where there was a continuous loud and hissing noise.

Deprivation of Sleep: Pending their interrogations, depriving the detainees of sleep.

Deprivation of Food and Drink: Subjecting the detainees to a reduced diet during their stay at the center and pending interrogation.

18. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They call this torture? I've received worse treatment from junior high football coaches.

It would serve the Democrat's cause a lot better if the pvssies would just stay out of this debate.

19. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    He was buys crafting his manifesto on why the world is going to end now that gay people can marry in one state.

20. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Those were from the old Europe.

Have your football coaches tried these followings on you?

Shabah: tying the detainee's hands in front or behind his body with plastic or metal cuffs. He is blindfolded or his head is covered to the neck by sacking [hood] with only a slit left open to breathe. He stands in this position in an open yard, or sometimes with his hands tied to a pole, for several days during which he is interrogated for several hours each day. He is subjected to inadequate food; sleep deprivation (sometimes for up to a week) and restriction of toilet facilities;

Beating: with clubs, fists or boots, sometimes on the genitals or head, sometimes banging the head on the wall;

Cupboard : being placed in a closed dark space, some one meter by one meter for hours or days;

Partial suffocation: by pressure on the windpipe or by placing sacks on the head and pressing them against the nose and mouth;

Falaqa: beating the soles of the feet with a stick or plastic hose, usually while the detainee is handcuffed and hooded.

21. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Also have you experienced these in the football team, Gringo?

- Locked you up in a small white box for thirty-five days, deprived of light, smell and sound;

- anesthetize you, opened your skulls and plant electrodes in your brain;

- force you to wear 50,000-volt shock belt, and activate it.

- sodomized you using a stick;

- throw you into boiling water;

- forced anal sex from an AIDS inmate;

And these torture techniques are as American as apple pie. These are no pvssies, Gringo.

22. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's more thrilling for you, VBD? Posting in detail about torture methods or watching real humans being beheaded and raped? Because you seem to be revelling in the torture the way you were revelling in the beheading.

You give me the willies.

And not the good kind.

23. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I've suffered the equivalent in August two-a-days.

Pvssies.

24. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Now THAT'S torture.

25. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    So you want to restart that dickpumping contest again?