New Yorker Mag: Rumsfeld personally approved interrogation methods at Abu Ghraib

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by GringoTex, May 15, 2004.

1. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Adios, Rummy. It was nice knowing you.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...u=/nm/20040515/ts_nm/iraq_abuse_pentagon_dc_5

The New Yorker said the interrogation plan was a highly classified "special access program," or SAP, that gave advance approval to kill, capture or interrogate so-called high-value targets in the battle against terror.

Such secret methods were used extensively in Afghanistan but more sparingly in Iraq -- only in the search for former President Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) and weapons of mass destruction. As the Iraqi insurgency grew and more U.S. soldiers died, Rumsfeld and Defense Undersecretary for Intelligence Stephen Cambone expanded the scope to bring the interrogation tactics to Abu Ghraib, the article said.

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    what a surprise!! [​IMG]

waiting for the republicons...

3. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't anybody who would oppose the interrogation plan stated above.

4. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yes- that's why you cut off the part where Rummy extended this "by any means necessaary" method to Abu Ghraib, where by his own admission there were no terrorist suspects.

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

yeah just wait until the pictures of those prisoners being interrogated surface... :rolleyes:

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  7. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Good point. Why would the world hold out any hope for civilization when there are prisoners to be tortured. This is the dark ages. Who would Jesus torture.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Sy Hersh's reporting is solid, Bush is faced with two very difficult choices. Keeping him would be disastrous; the Israelis would be our only true friend in the world. Even the Brits would step away.

If he ditches him, he just prolongs the story, PLUS he will have shown colossal poor judgment in keeping him in the last week. PLUS he will whet the appetite of the liberals in the media, and entice the lazy p.o.s. who predominate, the piranhas who chase, as a pack, the blood in the water.

Also, wouldn't this DIRECTLY contradict Rummy's testimony to congress? House Reeps won't care; hell, Tom DeLay would get a stiffy. But guys like Hagel and Lindsey Graham and McCain and even Warner will want Rummy out.

9. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    One more question to ask is - Does Bush also know about this Rumsfeld torture policy?

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is your opinion, not an unusual one, but did you read the article?

According to interviews with several past and present American intelligence officials, the Pentagon’s operation, known inside the intelligence community by several code words, including Copper Green, encouraged physical coercion and sexual humiliation of Iraqi prisoners in an effort to generate more intelligence about the growing insurgency in Iraq. A senior C.I.A. official, in confirming the details of this account last week, said that the operation stemmed from Rumsfeld’s long-standing desire to wrest control of America’s clandestine and paramilitary operations from the C.I.A.

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

thanks for the link - i swear the problem with a psycho like rumsfeld is that he thinks he's clever, which allows him to just go outer limits like this

12. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that is a very good question.
    either way i will not be suprised.
    on one hand i kind of think bush doesnt know much of what is going on; and
    on the other hand i really dont think bush would have opposed such a thing.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

not unless it was in the folder of clippings laura and karl make up for him :D

14. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dont go into it that much plz cuz i dont want the topic to be changed, but i am just curious if things like this are covered in depth on the news in the netherlands?

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

hard to say, my dutch is in its infancy so im not really watching the local news - euronews network is usually all over the big stuff

16. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ty, good luck with the dutch!

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plame revenge is a dish best served cold.

18. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least torturing all those Afghanis helped us catch Osama Bin Laden.

Oh, wait.....

nevermind.

19. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    People, sh1ts start hitting the fan!

20. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Rumsfeld tried as a war criminal.

21. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I figured this came from someone high up. I figured either Wolfowitz or Rumsfeld.

Both of them should be in jail.

And Bush should be impeached for the treasonous act of outing a CIA agent.

22. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    That works too. And take that nutcase Wolfowitz with him.

23. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The article states about that the SAP Rummy set-up,

The operation had across-the-board approval from Rumsfeld and from Condoleezza Rice, the national-security adviser. President Bush was informed of the existence of the program, the former intelligence official said.

I don't know if he knew explicitly, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had some sort of idea or was told, "You don't need or want to know what we'll be doing."

24. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Does it really matter what exactly was or was not told? Of course they knew, but it's better to be a bit vague about it. The less you know, the better. Doesn't mean you don't actually know.

25. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

yeah thats seems to be the administration's new slogan:

"we were told... but not briefed"

i dont think these idiots could admit a fart in an otherwise empty room