New York Red Bulls @ DC Scum Wed-August 29, 2012-8pm [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ag nigrin, Aug 27, 2012.

1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lade, Pearce, and Conde were good.

Hulk and Gaudette? Not so much. Gaudette has been a rock for us so I'm going to ignore this unless he does it again vs. Cbus.

However, if Barklage is 100% it's time for Holgersson to sit. That first goal he needs to clear that ball. The second goal was the mirror image of the problem on the KC goal. He's either not communicating to Gaudette or Gaudette simply doesn't trust him and is making bad decisions to make up for Hulk's deficiencies as an MLS defender.

We've had defensive problems all season long and the one constant in that has been Hulk. If we are 100% healthy he nees to sit.

2. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    yes...and bench Solli too!

3. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gonna agree with you, you are correct. My mistaken ommision. Solli looks too slow.

4. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about when he tackled Dero in the Box and ref did not call PK toward the end of the game. We got lucky on that one. Pearce is always covering up for his errors and Gaudette is paranoid on any ball played into the box near Statue at this point and comes out because he does not trust Statue will getto the ball.

5. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    Why sub Le Toux BEFORE Coop? Why Hans? AND, why so LATE in the match down a goal? <Scratches head>

6. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    Very VERY solid road performance from us. FINALLY.

We dictated a lot of this match. We created chances. GOOD chances. We posessed the ball in a meaningful way. We defended quite well (goals were more of a Keeper issue than a D issue).

If we play like this on the road more often, we will win more games. No question about it. We played with life and energy which is something we dont usually see when we travel.

*Gaudette has come back down to Earth these last 2 matches. He is, infact, human.
    *Dax just isn't a play you want pushing forward. Not his game.
    *Hans TERRIBLE job subbing. Le Toux in first? Coop in in the 83 minute? Huh?
    *Conde was money ALL MATCH. The goal was just sweet gravy.
    *Cahill... MAN this guy is good. Such a hard worker with great skill and a knack for getting on to balls.

For me, it is less about the point (which we all know is quite important), but about stepping up and playing some good ball away from home.

7. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    To be fair, we were lucky that the ref didn't buy DeRo's dive.

8. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    Bench Tanio? Huh? Why?

9. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    Ironically, the problem might be that there are to many changes back there.

How can we EVER expect to gel on defense when we change the line up virtually every match?

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Just a point of clarification, Cooper was ready to sub in at 78 minutes. Ref didn't allow that one, and then they basically went four minutes without a stoppage. But your point stands.

11. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You mean when De Ro felt the slightest bit of contact and flopped around like a fish out of water? Risky by Holgersson, but not a penalty. Again, we all understand that he is the weak link in our line and definitely had an awful game yesterday, Marquez certainly has a shout to take his spot when/if he returns. But literally close to 100% of your posts are blasting him (or encouraging metz to do so), while completely ignoring any mistakes made by others or any positive plays Holgersson makes. It comes across as borderline obsessive, he isn't solely responsible for the team's problems like you want him to be. If you think that allowing De Rosario space for a header at 25 yards out makes him more responsible for the second goal than Gaudette then I'm not sure what to say.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Actually, he needs to get his ass away from that ball and let Guadette handle it. He had no business being there, unless Guadette didn't call for it, then we can shift some of the blame to him as well.

It was a God Awful clearance. I remember saying 'this can get ugly', and sure enough...

13. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Was there ever any doubt?

14. badideas

badideas Member

Dec 22, 2010
    I get benching Holgersson and maybe Solli, but not getting the Tainio hate. Dax loses the ball, can't finish sitters after making runs, and gets his passes picked off. Tainio holds the ball well and actually completes passes up the field. If we want to be a high pressure side and succeed in the playoffs, we can't keep turning the ball over. Solli is frustrating because his crosses are exceedingly accurate for an MLS player, but he never succeeds in his 1v1s (or, in his "I am Alex Song" decisionmaking, 1v2s).

15. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    Dax??????

Isn't he rated the most efficient passer in the LEAGUE?

He loses balls? Last night, yeah sure, but in general?

16. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't watch the game last night but when Dax plays in a more attacking role or deployed further up the pitch he struggles with keeping possession, passing and attacking in general. His passing stats is probably a product when he's deployed as defensive midfield when he generally makes safe and smart outlet passes.

Bottom line is Dax is a great MLS DM but a below average MLS CM/AM..

RedBullFootball and iced1776 repped this.
  17. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    The performance at MF isn't the fault of one or two players in particular, the problem is that Backe line up for this game five Center Midfielders Tainio, Solli, Cahill, Lindpere, and McCarty, this are players that physical and mentally like to play inside and they converge at the center of the field mostly all the time and the section is overcrowded, therefore some of this players will look as a surplus maladies.... And in reality they are....

18. badideas

badideas Member

Dec 22, 2010
    RBF: Along the lines of what Enforcer said -- I specifically mentioned FORWARD passes in my post. It's one thing to turn under pressure and pass to a defender who has moved out wide to receive the ball. It's another to actually get the ball to Henry/Cooper/Cahill so that they can create. Tainio is a lot better than Dax at the latter. He looks for those opportunities and finds them, whereas Dax often seems to go with the safe backpass because he doesn't think as quickly on the ball. This is going to be very important against high pressure teams like SKC.

RedBullFootball repped this.
  19. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I agree. There was some contact but not enough for a penalty there. Clear embellishment from Dero.

20. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    100% agree.

He's not very good at all playing offensively. On the defensive side of the ball he is money though. Inmmfact, he's probably our MVP this season.

21. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did Tainio do so wrong yesterday?

22. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Isn't what Tainio, Solli or Dax did wrong, because they did not did any good either, the case is that they was playing CM all of them at the same time together with Cahill, living others areas of the field ill served, when most was needed....

23. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like you are obcessed with my posts. I never encourage metz to do or say anything, he is his own guy and we disagree at times on subjects. I have seen worse called as PKs as Dero looked like he was grabbed in the back by our potential all-star CB Marcus Holgerson. Is that better? Forgot about Marcus Holgersson's passing and crosses last night that were Richard's like at times.

24. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things are going to get real interesting now. Without any announced set backs you have to believe Barklage is ready to play vs. Cbus. And if Rafa is gonna play again this season that time will be coming very soon.

I really believe we have all the pieces and it's up to Backe to put them together correctly.

We are one of the best teams in the league and practically at full health. If things stay this way there is no reason we can't win everything.

25. RedBullFootball

Apr 7, 2008
    On paper, we are probably the best team in MLS, EVER.