New USA Kits 2

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by GunnerDawg, Sep 21, 2011.

1. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: New USA Kits

Dear Dban,
    This strand is so much nicer without you in it. Don't go away mad...just go away. Now back to the topic, does anyone know when the actual proofs are coming out?

2. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would be OK with that but it looks like the US Federation is trying to make it our trade mark going into the future...

3. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida

A sash has history for the team and it's long been said by many that the team needs to establish an identity in terms of an easy-recognizable jersey (instead of greatly altering designs every two years). I'm not against a sash being the choice, but something other than a ghost sash on a white jersey or stick with the red jersey with blue sash.

4. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The reason why Nike and USSF wants to keep the sash going?

1. Create an identity
    2. THEY MADE A TON OF MONEY!

Keep in mind that once the World Cup started, the jerseys were on backorder for months...some vendors placed orders in June and didn't receive shipments until October and November. The jerseys were everywhere, on babies and grandparents and everyone inbetween. I read somewhere that they were far and away the best-selling U.S. jersey EVER. And you know what? They looked good too. I particularly love my navy and red jerseys. If we create a jersey based off the sash, I'd be happy and BS critics notwithstanding, the jersey will sell like hotcakes once again.

I think we try to create an identity with the sash on the home jersey...I'd go with navy or red with a white/red sash on the navy and navy/white sash on the red. If we want to do stripes on the away jersey, that's fine. Personally, I'd prefer a solid colored away jersey with maybe some red/white/navy trim. The stripes/sash template...WAY too busy for me. Nike should just pick one and not overlay both.

5. GunnerDawg

GunnerDawg Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IF they were the best selling US Soccer Jerseys ever its not because they looked good (there only ok at best) its because Soccer is more popular in the US than it has ever been in history and because they were the jerseys for a World Cup Cycle. I seriously doubt the Sash was the reason the jerseys sold well.

6. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well put...I agree with the ghost sash is not a good idea sash. Maybe the ghost hoops or pinstripes but I also like the solid color sash. But not Red because that is Peru's trademark. I still would really like to see a black/blue/ with white sash at least for the third jersey.

7. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Casual fans don't buy jerseys they don't like. People were excited about the team and they liked the jersey design. Otherwise, they would've found other ways to show their support for the U.S.

8. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just realized there was a thread on the new jerseys. I hope that they keep the Stripe/Stash. It represents the only history the US Soccer has. There is nothing bigger than that 1950 victory. We were playing with a bunch of scrubs/amateurs, and we kicked England's ********ing Ass when it was there National Pastime. Thats why the stash needs to say. Also, for people saying that it needs the approval of the casual fan, screw them. And I only say that because of the availability of the jerseys. You don't see US Soccer jerseys at your local Champs, Modells or Just Sports. The only time you do is during the WC. Other than that, only soccer fans are purchasing these jerseys. So what ever they do, I hope they keep the stash.

9. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And here I thought winning 3rd place in the very first World Cup was the biggest thing we ever did, not beating England in 1950(which was known as the biggest upset in World Cup history).:rolleyes:

Which ever kits the USMNT is going to be sporting for the Qualifyers I'm sure it won't be as ugly as the all white kits we sported in the WC and GC.

In anycase I'm sure it will be announced before the year ends, new kits that is.

10. ClevelandForce

Jan 27, 2010

Bingo. Soccer has never been more popular, and it has never been so easy to purchase US soccer merch online and in stores (compared to the early 1990s, when you had to drive out to the sticks to the local sporting goods megastore that carried the jerseys). I partially agree that there must be some appeal to a shirt if it sells well, but in my opinion those WC shirts were by far the lamest iteration since 2002. I was, uh, underwhelmed when they were released and vowed not to waste my money....I only bought the white shirt after we beat Algeria (good memories can overcome a lame design). I still haven't bought the blue or red shirts, and I had been clamoring for a red third jersey for a while. Disappointed....but hey, I saved a big chunk of change. Here's hoping I can blow it on a cool set of WC qualifying shirts.....

11. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you sure?
    [​IMG]

12. BrianChingismyhero

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

ahhh the beer can kit.........

13. dban

dban Member

May 20, 2003
    PhillyBurbs - Delawareside
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not going anywhere homes, not mad, just amused.

PS: The Captain Crossing Guard shirts suck.

14. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winning 3rd place in 1930 was a major achievement that is overlooked by many soccer historians in this country. However, many outside this country really discount it for some reason (probably because of the number of teams, even though Uruguay doesn't have any qualms about having the star from that victory on their crest). However, FIFA has repeatedly recognized the 1950 victory against England as not just the biggest upset in WC history, but the biggest upset in soccer history. That's why it's always looked upon as a bright spot in our history, and that's why the kit that we wore that day has been repeated or mimicked over the years.

15. 00Kevin

00Kevin Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    SoCal
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I tried to stretch my imagination for as many usa jersey ideas as i could think of. my aim was to find a look that was distinctly american, not similar to any other nation team's jersey, incorported stars and stripes and experiment with the sash.

oh course, the biggest problem when designing a jersey that incorporates the stripes of our flag is that it can look too much like waldo. (perhaps the opponent will not be able to find our attackers?) so i tried to come up with ways to prevent such a look from being fully realized

i came up with a bunch of ideas. any of these catch your eye? (the ones at the top that are blue with white dots are actually stars, as you can see in the close up to the right)

[​IMG]

16. Cleats Up

Cleats Up Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Saint Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good job!

In the first row, I like the very first jersey and the very last jersey. You could mix and match red white blue shorts and socks as desired too. I like it because it uses the stars and stripes for home and away. Maybe the stars could be more subtle, but I like the theme

17. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have to applaud your effort, you must love the National Team as much as I do. Actually I like the stripe down the middle of the chest (somewhat like portugal ). Way to put forth the imagination and dedication.

18. ArkUnited

ArkUnited Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Fayetteville, AR
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The 2nd and 3rd ones on the second row are fantastic, nice work

19. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like the 3rd in the second row but I think we already did that...

20. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

Pick one of our colonial regimental jackets from 1781 and go from there.....

21. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm bored, and sick. So I'll bite.

[​IMG]

I originally had mostly red and white only stripes, but they did look like "waldo," so I added some blue and some flare.

I think the issue is, as soon as you eliminate the "waldo" aspect, you end up with something that no longer resembles our flag.

22. USAsoccer1

USAsoccer1 Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I actually liked the stripe down the center. I think the number on one side and the crest on the other side would be nice. I can already hear the "race car driver" and " Portugal" comparisons coming...Other than that Job Well Done :)

23. Cleats Up

Cleats Up Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Saint Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Those are exactly the ghosted stars I was saying would look good. Well done. I like the red and white stripes in the first jersey with blue sleeves as a home and that blue ghosted star jersey as an away.

Red white and blue combos of shorts and socks. Stars and stripes. I love it

24. DirtyStriker

DirtyStriker Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Basehor, KS

I always thought a single stylized star opposite the badge would look good, along with red and white hoop socks.
    [​IMG]
    My hack job of what that would look like.

25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like that idea, too. I'd like to see something similar to Ghana's home jersey.

Also, whatever else happens, can we get those striped socks?