New Supporters Shield

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by nick, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they are insistent on making a new trophy then they could always have an actual shield with the current shield as the center piece.

2. firesting81

firesting81 Member+

Jan 16, 2001
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I would as well, but the new Anschutz Trophy DOES pay homage to the old Rothenberg Trophy. Look at the base of it. It is half a silver soccer ball, almost like the top of the old trophy was used as the foundation of the new one. I always appreciated the symbolism of that as building off of the past. I'm pretty sure that was intentional in the design.

I'm for a lager actual "shield" with the design of the old shield on the front and the winning teams with their years listed around the outside. I think that is what Count was getting at. Sounds like a popular idea.

3. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some of you are confusing the "idea" behind the SS with the actual "physical structure."

again, the IDEA behind the Supporters' Shield may be, but not the physical structure. if you think that the SS is physically more beautiful than the new MLS Cup ... you either need your eyes examined, or you're just a complete idiot. again, the idea behind it is another thing, but the trophy itself? you need to separate the two. physical trophies sometimes need changing. but the ideas behind them need not change.

(and don't lecture me on the history of the SS and why it's unique. i know all of that. i've been an MLS fan since the inception)

and we'll still have that history. we'll always have that history. we'll always have that SS trophy, as a matter of fact. we just need a new, more impressive one. none of the history changes. and none of the concept changes. the SS is still the SS: a Cup concept doesn't lose who it is when it upgrades. it's a trophy, not Jennifer Lopez.

and [/thread].

4. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    if they kept the design and made it into and actual curved shield 3' x 2' with handles behind it so that someone could actually wield it as a shield, i think it would be awesome and definitely unique in the world of trophies.

there would have to be some simple envraved/relief metal work on the front so that it isn't too plain. like a Roman shield or something.

simplicity with clean lines is of the utmost importance.

5. kuhl

kuhl BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 21, 2002
    St. Paul
    Besides the history of the supporters shield I like the actual trophy itself in that it is a great metaphor for the league. The trophy can be judged as being kind of ugly or look kind of like a work in progress that isn't completely finished. But is was bought and paid for by people with love of the game here (when there was a lot less support for MLS then there is now) with the idea of what the league could become.

The fact that trophy gets described as ugly, too simplistic, cheap looking makes me smile as it is a good metaphor how many outsiders describe MLS and therefore I thought it makes the perfect trophy for the shield.

6. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do like the Idea of a real shield, that would be cool. You would have to have one strong enough to be pound on, and I think the old one should be included in the design. The shield below it 4 ft high 21 inchs wide. The shield is also make out of wood and can be repainted, so each team that wins it can repaint it to the teams color and or logo. I thought that might be cool to.

[​IMG]

7. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people are thinking more toward what is awarded for the bundesliga champions ...

[​IMG]

or the community shield ...

[​IMG]

8. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those do look sweet! Integrate the current shield into such a design and I would be for it. It would be cool if we could get a few designs posted on here and then let the supporters vote on it.

9. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    yeah, but put handles on the back so they don't have to carry it in a retarded fashion and keep it in the style of the current supporters shield.

10. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lager shield? Sounds delicious.

More seriously: there is a Supporters' Shield Committee that handles this type of thing. It's fine to chat, but does anyone know if the committee is reading this thread? Or are we just talking to ourselves?

11. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that the entire point of Big Soccer?

12. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001

I didn't even know what it looked like until you posted that picture, but now I too have to go with "Ugly as sin." :D

13. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    so Columbus gets to keep it like the Jules Rimet?

14. zensum

zensum Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    The Bronx, NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Is there any way to physically affix the current Supports Shield above base geometric piece to or into a more traditional shield. How thick is it? Or maybe just include the design in the center of the new shield.

Edit: Just saw Mutiny RIP had the same idea.

15. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just make the thing bigger. Big trophies always look better.

16. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    the metal boss in the middle could be in the shape and color of the current shield.

[​IMG]

maybe. i'm trying to imagine what it would look like.

how would one design a shield on a computer? its a 3-d structure with depth, curves, and junk.

and if i won the shield the previous year and its a real shield, my team is going to put theri arm through that sucker and march into every stadium with it on the captains arm. so everybody knows.

17. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    the community shield looks like a serving platter.

and will the SS continue to be made out of 100% metal?

18. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this idea. As you say, the other shields look more like serving platters. To be distinctive from all other leagues in the world we should make this thing an actual shield.

19. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Nordecke seems to have some creative people who work on their banners. I'm sure they could paint a really cool design.

20. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A new committee will be formed, after some legal paperwork is handled.

The league has nothing to do with it. The Shield itself needs to be replaced; it was made with lower-grade silver than is sensible for a trophy that travels (cost considerations at the time).

21. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Awesome news.

As a fan of the first and what it stands for, and seeing how next year will be the first balanced schedule ever, maybe next year's winner could keep the old one for their trophy case? A new one would still travel but next year's winner will kinda be the first team that wins a true balanced league. I like the symbolism.

22. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I'm glad that you are still a key figure in this whole thing and that there is still the element of the "grassroots" at its heart.

Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere, but I have a question:
    Will the supporters be able to contribute directly to the cost of making it?

I think there would be widespread support of such an idea. A few bucks is nothing compared to the feeling you would get when the SS winner holds up and celebrates the trophy you helped create.

23. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    You just answered your own question. Now give yourself a pat on the back. ;)

I can't agree more. The idea behind the shield was to give greater recognition to the league's regular season champions. But it's hard to do when you have the new Anshultz trophy putting it in such a shade. I agree with the idea bc you want teams to actually anticipate playing for this trophy.

Anyways, now that MLS Cup is actually a cup, it's high time that MLS Supporter's Shield is actually a shield. I think this one's from Ancient Greece.
    [​IMG]

24. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Apparently I've repped you before so I'll just Quote you For Truth this time.

25. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something along these lines perhaps but bigger and made out of metal?

[​IMG]