New Stadium??

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kgilbert78, Mar 24, 2010.

1. beyondthenormal-s3

Oct 4, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Exactly. I'm sure Lamar would have built an Arena like the Red Bull's if it was feasible financially at the time. And, I'm sure he would be smiling from heaven if there was a beautiful stadium like that Roda one in the Brewery District in downtown Columbus.

I mean who wouldn't be absolutely giddy about that?

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way they tear down Vets--it is finally making money! COSI might be a different story. They really screwed it up when they moved.

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And timewise too. That's one reason for the design--it could be built quickly and built with the field already in place. Remember, they laid the field first and built the stadium around it in order to have it ready "in time"--by mid-May.

4. YiddoInAkron

YiddoInAkron Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    [​IMG]

A scaled down version of Borussia Dortmund's Signal Iduna Park would be pretty awesome. Imagine the entire Nordecke just behind the goal in a massive wall of sound.

5. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    This discussion is absurd. All of it.

6. YiddoInAkron

YiddoInAkron Member

Mar 1, 2008
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    [​IMG]

suggesting THIS as our new stadium is absurd. :D

7. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    No, no. You're right. It would be nice.

However, the problem is that our stadium would like RIDICULOUS with 5K people in a stadium that size.

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It came about because Shawn brought it up this morning in the Dogpatch and got quotes from MM and a County Commish about it. Not so absurd--sorry. Read the article.

9. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who here goes to a Staduim for the looks? do you really care that much about it? I could careless what the Staduim looks like. I remember going and voting for the staduim and when we lost I really thought we would lose this team, that's why I love Crew Staduim. I remember when my Dad and me went to Crew Staduim for the first time I will never forget that and I always think of him when I go to games.

I would argue the food and beer are just as important than what the Staduim looks like. I went to Toyata park and I thought it look like Crew Staduim in concrete. I think they are doing the right thing by putting in a Pub at the Huntington Club, I just hope that you can get some good food there.
    I just think that emotions and History do play part, and don't talk about where the browns first played because that was built for baseball not football. I think it was a mistake to tear down the House that Ruth built.
    [​IMG] I think this is pretty cool it floats.

10. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Let me clarify. The initiation of this discussion/thread = not absurd. Where it has gone = absurd (The Crew should have an 80K capacity stadium).

11. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barrak, I don't know where you got that 80K capacity comment from, but most of the pics being posted are of stadiums with right around 20K capacity.

12. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I know Borussia Dortmunds is over 60K at least? That is where i pulled 80K.

13. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we got a new stadium would you want the supporters to sit behind the goal or in the corner like we have today with the Nordecke?

14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is all those people who graduated from Central 50 years ago who cried like nine year olds at the thought of tearing the decrepit old barn down. So they got the city and state to spend a fortune updating a dilapidated toilet of a building and moving COSI in and pretending it's the Smithsonian or something instead of just another place where kids can touch stuff that makes their hair stand on end, which is very cool if you're 11 but you can do it in a warehouse.

A stadium right there would be a jewel.

15. Begrundar

Begrundar New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Business didn't enter in to it, I was making a purely aesthetic statement.

16. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    If by "more" you mean "fewer" then you are correct that Cleveland Browns Stadium with its ~73,200 capacity attracts more fans than Cleveland Municipal Stadium with its ~81,000 football capacity. Unless you're saying that the Browns didn't routinely draw more than 73,000 at the old stadium, which I doubt was true.

17. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did say "scaled down version."

18. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if we unbolt and move CCS to the Brewery or Arena district how much more is it going to cost me to get drunk before games? :eek:

Nah I think it'd be all well and good if they picked up and moved CCS, wrapped parts of it in a nice brick facade and gave everything a purty black and gold coat of paint. After all they can't unbolt the stage so when they put everything back together they could improve the stage design for better access and just put stands there or turn it into a beer garden.

That said it'll never happen, we're at Hunt Park for the duration.

19. beyondthenormal-s3

Oct 4, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah from 1990-1995 compared to 2000-2006 there hasn't been much of a change. Maybe 40,000 more on average from 2000-2006 compared to 1990-1995 and that was brought down in 1995 by the team moving.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/history/attendance.php

What I meant was that Cleveland Browns Stadium is a little more enjoyable than Cleveland Municipal Stadium was. I have been to both and the current stadium is a wee bit nicer. Additionally, the Browns fan base is a bit more established so it doesn't matter as much where they're playing.

I just figure if were going to build a new stadium, why not make it a very nice stadium downtown that might attract the attention of some non-hardcore Crew fan/Columbus residents rather than a replica of our current meh erector-set stadium which isn't going to attract much of anyone else (except for those who have a massive wood for the current stadium on this forum) whether it's downtown or not.

The thing is there are a lot of Browns fans in Cleveland no matter where they're playing, that'll go to games no matter what. There isn't as many Crew fans in Columbus no matter what or NYRB fans in New York no matter what. But, you put a beautiful new Crew Stadium downtown and make it in the hot spot of the city and I would think the team would catch on more. At least there would be more awareness of the team throughout the city if there was a shiny soccer cathedral smack dab downtown.

And, just take NYRB for example, I would think that more people are going to check out a Red Bull game this year and go to Red Bull Arena because it will be a great place to watch a game and be, it will be an event and will bring in some of the Eurosnobs and the non-soccer curious who may become a NYRB or soccer fan because of it.

I'm just saying if we move downtown, we need to pull all the stops on making the stadium as impressive as possible or why even bother? The idea of building a more modern CCS just sounds dumb to me unless were adding a brick facade, better seats, a roof, stands over the stage, and a paved parking lot to the erector set if we move it which would no longer make it resemble the current CCS much at all.

20. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are going to dream.... do it big. Imagine this across the river from The Santa Maria...

[​IMG]

Capacity 21000 and 41Million Euros to build. With a retractable roof!:D

21. Matt C

Matt C Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, not so much.

[​IMG]

22. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see anything happening for another 15 years or so, but I think a new stadium would be awesome. As long as they still have seating in the Northern Corner.

As long as it looks good from the outside as well. Obviously, we're not just gonna put a piece of sh*t downtown and call it our home- but we want it to look attractive to the average passerby that drives down 315 and says "why, what is that lovely venue".

From a supporters' standpoint, nobody really cares what it looks like from the outside as long as our team is on the field. The looks just give it a better feel for the casual fan.

23. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am glad the downtown stadium discussion has come back. It's obviously not the right time to do it, but the discussion needs to continue. The Crew needs to get the community behind the team and average 20,000 paying fans per game for a few years, and sell out all of the big games. Once that happens a new larger, downtown stadium will happen.

I was interested to hear that the stage will be used a a party/beer garden area , open to all fans this year. I was against the stage because it leaves a void right behind the goal. I guess I feel better about it if there will be a few people there giving the opposing goalkeeper some serious static during matches. It was also reported that the Huntington Club will now be a pub, open to all.

24. beyondthenormal-s3

Oct 4, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah exactly, wouldn't be much of an issue if the Nordecke had 20,000 people in it. We could play in CCS forever and the FO would probably keep us there forever, whether you like it or not, because their selling out every week; so, if that was the case, why would the Crew waste money on a new stadium that also will sell out at the same ammount of seats? But, when there are only 3,000 of us, the place sounds and looks a lot better when the rest of CCS is filled and for whatever reason that's a struggle currently, as the Crew F.O. has to beg & moan for the other 12,000 to 13,000 casual fans to show. I think it would be an easier sell for the non-hardcore (especially plunking down for some season tickets) if it was a downtown location, had a roof, non-mud bogging parking, and was a beautiful stadium, etc. An event. Because I couldn't help thinking, especially when explaining to my foreign friend at the Toluca game why there were so few people and no one in the concession stands, that this all is a bit minor league (especially for that contest). Anyways, I think that is the best long-term option for the Crew, to build something beautiful downtown in the future. It may not be a cure all, but it will help. As I think there is great potential in the city, but just something about the current stadium that turns off most of the rest of the city.

And, they should of built something downtown to begin with. But, the team has to do something 10 years down the road at least to raise their profile in the city. Because not many non-hardcores are too impressed with the current setup I would imagine, as hypothetically if I was not a Crew fan I probably wouldn't even notice Crew Stadium when I pass it.

But, when you get down to it, I think even the supporters if given an option between the current stadium and Red Bull Arena with CREW written in big letters in the seats and a 5,000 seat terrace in the North Corner, most would take that in a damn second.

25. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKCnHWas3HQ"]YouTube- Petula Clark - Downtown[/ame]