New stadium for Hamilton?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Moaca, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Cost of new stadium just shy of 149 million dollars
    Ken Mann 10/12/2012

Pan Am Games officials have unveiled the details of Hamilton's new football and soccer stadium.

It will be built at a cost of over 145 million dollars to be jointly funded by the federal and provincial governments and the City of Hamilton.

The stadium, to be built at the site of Ivor Wynne, will include 22,500 permanent seats with the potential for expansion to 40 thousand for major events.

[​IMG]

There will also be 30 club suites, six elevators, bigger seats for spectators, concession stands on all levels and it will built on a North-South alignment to provide views of the escarpment.

The current Ivor Wynne Stadium will be demolished in December at the end of the current CFL season.

The new stadium is to be completed in July of 2014.

[​IMG]

Ontario Sports Solutions a consortium of developers, builders, designers and contractors is the winning bidder.

2. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Expanded (40k?) configuration in third graphic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Looks amazing

4. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Basically looks like a slightly expanded BMO field.
    Not bad, but I just detest non-oval Stadiums.

A better view of the extra stands is at 2:32 of the video. If the permanent stadns are 23,000 They look nowhere near 17,000, It's 5,000 each at best. But we'll have to wait for more detailed info to know better.

As usual I always consider each new development with a World cup lens.
    Grey cup budgets are high, but nowhere near what a potential WC would be, so the current expansions plans can be taken even further if it comes up.

For example I can hypothetically imagine the street and accompanying park at the ends being closed off and a whole second level being erected.

Overall its a great development, looks great for football, great for soccer, can be (permanently) expanded relatively easily in addition to being of decent quality with temporary bleachers.

5. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That is exactly what I thought......at more the cost in 6 years! Have we actually had 12% annual inflation in the past 6 years?

6. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't know how BMO is like,but judging only from the video it looks like the off-field amenities in Hamilton are much greater than BMO. Higher construction standards, indoor amenities and other game experience improvements can make a huge difference in cost, just look at Livestrong($200 Million) vs Saputo (<$50 million). One received an award for best new stadium in the world. The other did not.

cloak repped this.
  7. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    The big reveal
    $145.7-million stadium features private boxes, wider seats and community access

The specs

• North-south orientation
    • Permanent seating for 22,500 people (Ivor Wynne seats 30,000)
    • Ability to expand to 40,000 for Grey Cup games
    • 700 club seats
    • 20 VIP suites
    • 5.45-hectare footprint
    • 180 parking spots (400 spots available at the current venue)
    • Six elevators
    • General admission seats are 21 inches wide; club seats are 22 inches and VIP seats are 24 inches wide — wider than industry standard
    • Concession stands on all levels of the stadium
    • Several hundred LED televisions to be installed in the concourses, washrooms and hospitality areas
    • Meets international requirements for FIFA soccer and CFL football

The Money

• Overall cost is $145.7 million
    • $119.1 to be spent on the stadium construction and design
    • $26.6 million to be spent on “soft costs” such as project management, transaction fees and a contingency fund
    • City contributing $54.3 million
    • Province contributing $22.3 million
    • Federal government paying the remaining $69.1 million
    • Ticats to pay city $450,000 a year in rental costs

The Deal

• Consortium called Ontario Sports Solutions (comprised of Bouygues Building Canada Inc., Kenaidan Contracting Ltd., and several other companies) won bid over two other pre-qualified competitors
    • Deal also includes design and build of Town of Milton’s velodrome and York University stadium
    • Price and completion dates fixed and written into the contract

The community

• Stadium to host about 1,400 hours of community use per year, including soccer, football, concerts and other community events
    • Features public fitness and change rooms
    • Designed to allow maximum sunlight on now-shadowed neighbouring streets
    • Designed to minimize noise levels for neighbours
    • Designed to meet barrier-free guidelines

The next steps

• A site plan for the new stadium has yet to be filed with the city. That document will outline the exact specifications of the stadium and give the city a chance to review whether it meets its design guidelines.
    • Ontario Sports Solutions, the firm in charge of building the new stadium, will take possession of the property on Dec. 1.
    • The demolition and construction will begin immediately after the stadium is cleared.
    • The estimated completion date is 2014, a year before the Pan Am Games.
    • The Ticats have yet to announce where they will play during the stadium construction in 2013.

8. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We'll have to wait for the more detailed site plan, but is the end zone seating the only part than can be permanently expanded?
    [​IMG]Here is a screenshot form the video. Looks like the right side has the real estate to accommodate 2 levels of full stands curving around to form a U, plus a smaller bleacher on the left side as seen in the picture.

Looking at it from a WC 2026 lens of course ;)

Even for more regular friendly's, this place looks excellent.

Looks like BMO field's monopoly on CMNT games has ended.

9. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    How so? The prima donnas won't play on AT which also excludes Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver, Saskatchewan, Ottawa

10. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How does this stadium get from 22.5k to 40k?

A football field is, roughly, twice as long as wide......this one has seats the length of both sides, most of which is two tiered, yet only holds 22.5k.......are we to believe the two ends will hold 78% of the people the sides hold?

This a nice little stadium......very reminiscent of original BMO, but at 2 1/3 the price. For a more current comparison, Winnipeg new park is costing 30% more than this but yielding twice the seating capacity, twice the suites and a roof over the spectators.

Nice stadium but value not so clear!

fuzzx repped this.
  11. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The site plan should be out before the end of the year, and should add more light to this. But yea, the current data seems insufficient for 40k

12. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's funny. I look at the above pictures and the capacity, then I look at this:[​IMG]

Ohio Stadium, Capacity 102,000

It doesn't look that much bigger...

13. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    I didn't know Winnipeg sat 45k, I thought it was 33,500

14. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Your right.....I was thinking "50% more seats and 50% more suites" and somehow wrote "twice"......sorry for the error but the "value for money" theme in my post holds.

15. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Did somebody forget to draw a roof in all of these graphics, or are the people who designed this stadium just morons?

16. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Is the Ticats owner still committed to bringing in an NASL team? It was prominently mentioned back when the stadium plans were first hatched but I haven't seen a team mentioned in any of the recent articles. (Most articles have a line or two about the stadium being useful for soccer but that's different than a plan for a professional team.)

the shelts repped this.
  17. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Anyone building any Stadium these days has "plans" for a soccer team. Its makes the financials look better and adds a new group of supporters without costing anything or anyone. But it's very much a secondary objective.

Why? Many outdoor venues don't have roofs, its not a requirement or anything. And with such high, gently sloping stands a roof would have to be massive to be useful to a meaningful number of spectators, so it makes sense to not have one.

I'm not sure its the best idea either, but its not like the architects just forgot.

18. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I was thinking the same thing. I always assumed I had mixed Hamilton with Ottawa. But I was wondering about the CFL ownership mentioning NASL in Hamilton as well.

19. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Ivor Wynne demolition right on track
    Kaleigh Rogers CBC News Jan 24, 2013

Demolition of the Ivor Wynne stadium is progressing on schedule and the public is taking notice, according to Coralee Secore, Hamilton's manager of Pan Am Initiatives.

"Every time I go down there, there are people taking pictures," she said.

"It's such a big site. I'm constantly in shock at how much space there is. It's really exciting."

Demolition began in December and should be complete by the end of February, Secore said. At that point, workers will begin excavating the site in preparation to begin the construction of the new stadium in May.

Construction is scheduled to be completed on July 1, 2014. The Tiger-Cats will move in that summer, then move out from June 8 to Aug. 6, 2015, to accommodate the Pan American Games.

The new stadium will be constructed by Ontario Sports Solutions.

20. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Ivor Wynne demolition continues
    CHCH.com February 13, 2013

Now that Ivor Wynne Stadium has been completely torn down, workers are heading underground.

They started excavation and foundation work this week. Construction of Hamilton's new Pan Am stadium is set to start in June and should be finished by July 1st of next year. The project manager says everything is on schedule and on budget.

21. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
  22. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Search for stadium soccer tenant stretches out
    Matthew Van Dongen theSpec.com Mar 26 2013

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have missed a deadline to land a professional soccer team for the city’s new stadium.

A memorandum of understanding with the city says the Tiger-Cats will run a professional soccer team in the $119-million stadium being built to replace Ivor Wynne in time for the 2015 Pan Am Games.

The memorandum (MOU), signed in 2011, also says the CFL team had until the end of December 2012 to land a soccer franchise. After that date, the city is free to pursue its own tenant.

But the city won’t hold the Ticats to that deadline because the two sides are still negotiating a stadium licensing agreement designed to replace the MOU, said Coralee Secore, the city’s Pan Am initiatives manager.

“The timing (in the MOU) has been somewhat skewed because of the delays around stadium planning,” said Secore, who hopes to have a licensing agreement to present to council before June 1. “We’re not worried (about the soccer team) right now.”

Neither is Lloyd Ferguson, a cochair of the city’s Pan Am subcommittee.

The MOU calls for the Ticats to provide $450,000 in “security” related to their soccer obligations.

But Ferguson said he’s confident Ticats owner Bob Young “will come through” on a soccer franchise as well as a training academy for local players.

“I don’t think there’s a rush — they can’t play in the stadium until it’s done,” Ferguson said after a subcommittee meeting Tuesday.

But he questioned why the licensing agreement, which will spell out the financial responsibilities of both the city and Ticats, is still unfinished more than two years after the MOU was signed.

“We’re easily six months overdue,” Ferguson said. “Let’s get it done.”

Secore said the licensing agreement will include a new deadline for confirming a soccer-playing tenant. That’s a cash consideration for the city, which expects to net $150,000 in annual rent tied to soccer, on top of $450,000 for CFL football games.

Tiger-Cats president Scott Mitchell said he wouldn’t comment on the status of the soccer squad search or the delayed licensing agreement, other than to say “positive” talks continue with the city.

Doug Rye, the Ticats’ chief financial officer, has said in the past the team hopes to land a Division II franchise that can attract between 4,000 and 5,000 fans a game.

Young, at one point, was involved with a North Carolina-based professional team, but it’s unclear whether he’s looking south of the border for a new Hamilton soccer squad.

The Ticats fulfilled another MOU condition on Tuesday, donating $25,000 in proceeds from the sale of Ivor Wynne memorabilia such as seats and signs to a community fund.

That fund, which will eventually receive 10 per cent of annual net team revenue and half the offsite parking proceeds, will be used to make improvements to the stadium neighbourhood.

A report on Pan Am precinct planning should go to councillors in April or May.

23. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Come see a tiny Pan Am stadium at Artcrawl
    CBC News Apr 9, 2013

As stadiums go, it's certainly smaller than Ivor Wynne.

A new 3D model of the soon to be built Pan Am stadium is on display right now at Tourism Hamilton, in the Lister Block at 28 James Street N.

Anyone looking for a sneak peak at what Hamilton's new east end stadium will look like can stop in during Friday night's Artcrawl to have a look.

The new stadium is expected to be ready by June 2014.

Here are 10 facts about the new Pan Am stadium:

- $145 million capital project - city contribution is $45 million from the future fund
    - Seating capacity is 22,500 - an additional 1,500 can be accommodated on the housing patio, bringing total attendance to 24,000
    - Stadium has been designed for additional temporary seating of 17,500 to accommodate major events like the Grey Cup
    - FIFA and CFL-approved two star turf with painted lines for multi-sport conversion
    - A planned 1,500 hours of annual community use
    - Four large dressing rooms that can be reconfigured into eight smaller dressing rooms
    - Fully accessible seating
    - Four entrances with one large pedestrian entrance that serves as a plaza for pre-game festivities
    - 30 suites, 2 group suites and 750 club seats
    - Sole host venue to all 32 Pan Am soccer games, including the Pan Am medal round

Stadium showing the 40,000 seat configuration

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I still struggle with this.....if this stadium without those endzone seats (ie with double-decked seating down the length of the field) holds 22,500 - 24,000.......how does adding two sets of single tier seating that use the width of the field add an additional 16 - 17.5k seats? It does not compute in my tiny brain! That said this model (with the seats on all sides) shows a reasonably attractive stadium.

fuzzx repped this.