New stadium for Chivas

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by phoenixhazard, Oct 22, 2012.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Is this a joke?

Where else do you think they could have built all this? Keep in mind - track stadium, multiple practise fields, soccer stadium, tennis stadium, and a velodrome.

2. tys0n28

tys0n28 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There's got to be other places that are just as inconveniently located as Carson, yet not on a college campus.

3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Not with essentially free land for the stadium, parking lots and practice facilities. Now I am sure that AEG pays CSUDH "rent", but they also get a management fee for all of the non-CSUDH events held at HDC and related facilities.

4. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All you folks bashing the HDC must be youngsters because I remember the hell AEG went through just to find a location for the STadium. they tried downtown but the corrupt collesium commission promised to sue the hell out of them. They saw it as competition. They then looked at Whittier narrows just north of the 60 freeway but that plan fell through as well. Carson and the university basically gave AEG the best deal they. Would find. You all also need to remember MLS was no where near as successfull as it is now. So a soccer specific stadium was unproven. The HDC is I think the 4th one ever built. Columbus cbareston and Virginia Beach where the ones built before.

tys0n28, Hachiko and dashiel repped this.
  5. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It wasn't the first, but compared to the other stadiums, it really was the first "Major" stadium. It's since been passed up by others, but it's also about to turn 10 years old.

6. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    And you could make a very strong argument that The Home Depot Center saved MLS. A simplistic notion, but with the HDC soccer looked like a pro sport, not just some off-season revenue generator for NFL stadium owners.

7. Galaxy Steve

Galaxy Steve Member

Jun 15, 2007
    PASADENA AREA
    There really is a lot of truth to this statement!

Hachiko repped this.
  8. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all like to take shots at the Goats........ because it's easy...... and fun.

Am I the only one who thinks a new stadium would benefit both the Galaxy, Chivas and soccer in Southern California? Problem is they seem to be dead set on staying in as close as possible to LA. If I was running that franchise I would move the team to Orange County and re-brand it. We own the LA market as it pertains to football, that's not going to change. In SoCal those lines of division have been defined. You're more likely to build a sustainable rivalry there then with two teams in LA.

Kilgore repped this.
  9. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Id be very surprised if they could land a deal with USC. The fact that they couldn't get a deal in Santa Ana for an Empty stadium makes me less inclined to believe something can be done with USC.

10. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I always thought the I.E. would make a nice place for a stadium.

11. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Mighty Goats of Anaheim?

EDIT: Or go really far North, target a whole new demographic and rebrand as the Humboldt Munchies? They'd wear green, obviously...

SoCalYid repped this.
  12. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county

The Galaxy isn’t going to give up the Orange County demo, there’s simply too much money there. Chivas needs to go the other direction, blue collar, inclusive rather than exclusive, community commitment. It’s ironic that other than price Chivas is more exclusionary than the Galaxy;apparently they did almost no English language marketing the past few seasons.

13. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well neither do the Dodgers, there's still Dodger fans all over Southern California. We should still try to dominate all of Southern California. From a Chivas perspective, Orange County and building foundations there would be more reasonable. Trying to go toe to toe with the Galaxy over who's more LA. We won the initial marketing battle and will only solidify that with another MLS cup. Like I said normally I wouldn't care but for the sport to grow in America, or California for that matter it would help having a well supported rivalry between the two clubs.

14. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Given this data here -

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/11/05/In-Depth/Los-Angeles.aspx

I'm guessing Orange County isn't what Chivas is likely to go after.

15. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For the good of the game in America, I hope they continue to fail to the point that Vergara sells them off to a totally new party, who in turn completely rebrand and revamp the franchise.

We've already had Club America USA, Barcelona USA and Arsenal USA mooted since Chivas USA came into the league. Such teams would be terrible for the perception of MLS as a progressive, growing league. We'd be dismissed by many as a low rate collection of sister clubs.

dashiel repped this.
  16. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy64 repped this.
  18. Benz280

Benz280 Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Galaxias
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Benz280

Benz280 Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Galaxias
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No no only Galaxy can use Los Angeles;)

Hachiko repped this.
  20. respite_cdd

respite_cdd BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2009
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. That'd be kinda awesome, actually. Going from an MLS 1.5 team to an MLS 1.0. They'd be DC United without the talent. Or, you know, New England with rent payments.

21. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Actually, there is a way to get a deal with USC. In 2011, the Coliseum Commission voted to approve an environmental impact report, using the area occupied by the Sports Arena for either a soccer specific stadium seating 22,000 or a amphitheater. Of course that is 12,000 more seats than what Chivas USA really needs.

22. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I went over to their board. Many fans are understandably upset by this. All rivalry and ribbing aside, this is a disgusting way to brush off sections of your fanbase that have stuck with you, despite years of disasterous mismanagement.

EDIT: Oh and one other thing... given that Vergara has done nothing to noticably improve Chivas Guadalajara on the field, what makes him think that he knows how to make a team successful anyway?

Dawdler and ragbone repped this.
  24. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    To say it's an NFL stadium, they did a pretty good job at covering up the lines.

25. Grillinnap

Grillinnap Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Downtown Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The yard lines, yeah. It's still a shame that the Sounders will never get their own SSS.

[​IMG]

Hachiko repped this.