New stadium for Chivas

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by phoenixhazard, Oct 22, 2012.

1. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    While people grumble about Carson, I've never noticed the Galaxy struggling much to get attendances. Chivas USA fails not due to location but for other reasons:

1) It exists in a City that already had a strong team before they arrived.
    2) It's branding is divisive. Sure, you might tap into some of the Chivas G fanbase, but if you support America, Cruz Azul, Atlante or pretty much any other Mexican club, you won't support a brand extension of the original Chivas.
    3) Many Chivas G fans simply don't care about MLS, even if it does contain a club that dresses up as their favourite team.
    4) For all their attempts to make LA Galaxy look artificial, they're the very epitome of a crass cash-in attempt.
    5) They suck.

4. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im all for it! But i want Galaxy to get a Red bull or Man city type stadium oval roof top , not really a huuuuge fan of the HDC stucture

phoenixhazard repped this.
  5. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wonder how much it would cost to deconstruct the Red Bull Arena and have it shipped to LA. After all, the NYRB fans aren't using it...;)

Ghosting, propeller74, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  6. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know right !

7. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I don't particularly like the look of the HDC at all. Think it looks very mickey mouse. As for Chivas they suck for many reasons that have nothing to do with stadium location. The team needs to rebrand completely, i'd like them to stay in LA though, think it only helps the LAG to have an in city rival. perhaps Atletico Los Angeles? :p

My ideal stadium type would be like the Santiago Bernebau. Could you imagine such a stadium in downtown LA? I love how it holds so many people but it's so steep that you are practically on top of the action all the time.

8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the cat's out of the bag. It's true. Looking to find a stadium that's the right size to hold all of their fans, I have come to terms with Vergara to build a state-of-the-art soccer stadium in my backyard.

Looking forward to seeing Chivas and their 3 fans at Ol' Hog-ford Stadium starting 2013...

C-bus, Ghosting, mbar and 3 others repped this.
  9. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    Get some Qatar oil baron to fund it. They can use it as a trial run for all those movable stadiums they promised for when they host the World Cup.

barroldinho repped this.
  10. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    I think Mickey Mouse is a bit harsh, despite some amazing recent entries in Houston, New York and Kansas City The Home Depot Center is still one of the best stadia in the league. While the roof in New York is cool looking, on a warm summer evening in Carson the more open to the elements nature of The HDC can’t be beat.

Cyclonis, barroldinho and TrickHog repped this.
  11. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    I agree, although on those few rare occasions when it rains the lack of a roof is a major bummer.

12. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Honestly as physically unpleasant as those can be, I love ‘em, some of my favorite memories actually. There’s something about being out in the rain with LA fans who are so often seen as fickle & effete. I’m biased, but I don’t think many other teams in LA would have so many people in the rain.

13. generaladmissision18

Jul 29, 2011
    Highland park, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how anywhere you sit in the HDC it's a great place to watch the game, and i don't really mind rain and no roof

14. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know.

It's quite interesting watching thousands of SoCal natives looking in awe at the skies, a reverent hush spreading around the stadium, only broken when somebody proclaims:

"Hark! The Gods send down a plague of water to punish us! What Sin did we commit against thee, Harry Snyder? Why hast thou forsaken us?"

Then a mass stampede for cover, while wet people from the upper deck hurl themselves over the railings to hasten their impending doom.

15. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. HDC is great but I do think we are starting to outgrow it. Also I really honestly believe Carson hurts what fans the Galaxy could be drawing if they were more centrally located to LA.

Nice comment on mlssoccer.com
    "I see what you did there, Don! Get Vergara and Fuentes to secure the US Goats' home in downtown LA with their own cash, give it a couple of years of them failing, then let them rebrand and move, opening up an unoccupied stadium in LA for the Galaxy to take over when Chivas vacates. And the $100m expansion fee for the Chivas rebrand doesn't hurt either, I'm sure. You get your team in NY, open a chance for the 20th team to be in a new venue, get a new downtown stadium for LA, and make money in the process! Not afraid to fail, especially when it's on someone else's dime!"

16. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county

Nah, attendance is down from last year about 2% and down 12% from the 2008 peak. They can’t move too much further north or they miss out on the Orange County demographic, being more centrally located might draw more fans, but AEG can charge more being in Carson. What they really need to do, and probably have wanted to do for a long time, is raze the surrounding area and create a Downtown Disney type thing. Right now Carson is not a place you want to spend time before or after the game.

Ghosting repped this.
  17. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C-bus and phoenixhazard repped this.
  19. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All 3 of them? (Btw, the 7,000 are just community volunteers/students in need of service hours, etc. Not necessarily Chivas fans.)

20. Grillinnap

Grillinnap Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Downtown Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why didn't they just name the team "Chivas Los Angeles"? Chivas USA still sounds stupid.

21. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the point, my friend. They wanted to sound stupid from the start, so they named themselves Chivas USA. Rest is history.

22. Grillinnap

Grillinnap Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Downtown Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As for the Red Bulls, I bet they are regretting their New Jersey location. Unless your sport is handegg, you shouldn't build a sports venue there.

BTW, did the commissioner say that there will be 15 teams next year that play in SSS's? Did he count the Sounders? Man, **** them. Their stadium is not an SSS. I don't care how versatile Century Link Field is compared to other NFL stadiums. When an MLS team still SHARES their place with an NFL team in this new era of MLS, they ought to be ashamed of themselves. **** them and their fake grass.

Kilgore and phoenixhazard repped this.
  23. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    At risk of derailing the conversation, you have no idea what you are talking about. The problem has more to do with the Red Bulls organization itself and the team's failure to win any significant competions throughout its entire history going back to the Metrostars days than it has to do with the stadium's location. Having been both a Galaxy STH and (former) Red Bulls STH, I can attest that the Galaxy is light years ahead of the Red Bulls when it comes to attracting and keeping fans and promoting the team. The Red Bulls seem to actually go out of their way piss off and alienate fans who WANT to support MLS.

To bring things full circle, look at the poor attendance at Chivas matches. The location of the venue isn't the problem. It's because Chivas fields crappy teams that don't win anything and the organization is poorly run. Moving Chivas into their own SSS isn't going to attract new fans. Rebranding the team, hiring a front office that actually has a clue, and building a winning team will.

24. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO that is not true at all. I have hundreds of friends and family in the NY area that are massive soccer fans. The #1 reason they all tell me they don't go to Red Bulls games is because "it is a pain in the ass to get down there"

25. Grillinnap

Grillinnap Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Downtown Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You are right. But if I was a Red Bull fan from NY and knowing that there will be a Cosmos team that will actually be based inside New York City, I'd be pissed that I'm stuck with a New Jersey team.

I still stand by what I said, though. NJ is just not an ideal place for sports. The Nets had plans to move to Brooklyn for years. The Devils always have a competitive team but they still have a hard time drawing fans.