New Revs employee now on BigSoccer

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Axel also says:

2. RevsSeasonTix

RevsSeasonTix Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    There have been brief discussions with how we can help foster the supporter culture. Mainly this has been focused on how can we as a FO help the groups grow in size. I think everyone will agree that the more supporters there are in the Fort, and in any other subsequent sections that may be added, the game day experience will be better. The thing that I know is that whatever is done the thrust has to come from you guys as fans. This means that we need to come together on one accord so that we can all make things happen.

3. RevsSeasonTix

RevsSeasonTix Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What section is this Morgue that you speak of on game days?

4. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Morgue is often used to describe all sections excluding The Fort.

5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

6. RevsSeasonTix

RevsSeasonTix Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Ah....so here is the $50K question.....Can we as supporters get 50 people minimum to get full season tickets, who currently do not have them, if there was a section devoted to people who want to sit and watch the match?

7. RevsSeasonTix

RevsSeasonTix Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The answer to this is easy. In my experience fans hate it when the FO dictates terms. Its always better when the fans are leading the charge and then the FO can assist them with logistical items (i.e. better tailgate space, better seating, discounts and days to attract new members, etc.)

AmeriSnob, Crooked and Jasonma repped this.
  8. RevsSeasonTix

RevsSeasonTix Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If you look at the successful efforts in recent years (red patch, cauldron, ECS, TA, etc.) the thing they have in common is that they are fan driven, not front office driven.

AmeriSnob repped this.
  9. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if the fans are so beaten down that, not only do they not feel so inclined to do this, rather, lately, they, like I, have even been resisting the urge to not get in the car on game day and stay home and watch it on the porch? (Last season I was guilty of that on at least one occasion.)

I really think you need to know the situation you are coming into a little better. You need to mine the depths a little more, to see the level most of us hard corps supp's occupy. Then, you may get a better picture and possibly realize that maybe step-one of reparations might involve a genuine, -sizable, not cheap- heartfelt gesture on the part of the Kraft's, which might lift us up from our supine positions. Something to dust us off a little and get us walking again. Once we get more level, then we can talk. No disrespect, but you have joined a very damaged, neglected and forgotten brand.

Or, if you don't see it as I do, do me a favor, just for kicks, drive one quarter mile down Rt. 1, turn right into that store called "We Got Soccer". Go inside and see all the really really cool soccer stuff.... best soccer store I've ever set foot in. Then go and look for anything Rev's, in that store, 1/4 mile from the Rev's "sacred grounds". It will take a bit once inside, to find the 3 or 4 Rev's shirts and maybe the 2 Rev's warmup jackets you will find. Or if you are too busy, check out the Pat's Pro shop right at Gillette. (You won't find a Rev's Pro shop.) See how much Rev's stuff is there. Then, maybe you can get your first realization of our status and you might be able to properly calibrate the start of your monumental tasks. ;)

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the insulting term used by "real" fans to describe the places in the stadium where the vast majority of fans who come to games who sit quietly and are more interested in watching the games than standing, singing, throwing streamers and hurling insults at the opposing players. :D

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem. So if you want the fans to spread the word on behalf of the revs and drive season ticket revenue, can we at least have the opportunity to improve the product on the field that we're selling - starting with a better GM? You guys can handle the logistics of hiring him, paying him, etc.

Here's a few things many of the most ardent fans would like to have "thrust" on. Revs fan Boycott.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Played some ad libs with Doc's post. ;)

Doublecard and Crooked repped this.
  13. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I wonder why the Revs have never come up with a "family" section... one that's as far away from The Fort as possible. You could even sponsor it, like they do in Houston. Lower priced tickets for kids under the age of X... etc.

14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing how uniformed and biased you are about the majority of those who attend games that do not choose to sit in the Fort. ;)

15. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doc, even the fans in the midfield seats call the section "The Morgue".

As RevLiv aptly FYP'ed your take on the term "The Morgue", I can add that I had Cat. 2 seats in the old stadium from day 1. My son was 8. Only reason we weren't front row was because he couldn't see over the the concrete railing (although I soon found that he rarely sat). We could pretty much do what we wanted in terms of cheering and "commenting" on the games. Those seats grandfathered into Cat. 2 in the new stadium - the last six rows of the lower bowl. I was dead center mid-field and the folks in the row just in front of me were paying $100 more for their seats. The looks I got were scary whenever I broke the surrounding silence with a cheer or an exhortation. Standing at the end of a game approached to celebrate or to push the lads or just to let the team know we were there was usually an issue.

Soon my son (no longer 8 :) ) was spending most of the game in the Fort. I found myself migrating there at the end of games to cheer or commiserate with like-minded fans. After another round of hi-tech layoffs and a job change I saved a couple hundred by moving my season tix to the Fort. Most games I'd slip into 109 to start, but move to the Fort at the end.

After the 15th season I dropped the season tix. I'd been giving away tix to many games and I found that I could get tix from others just as well. Only made it to three games this year and that was mostly due to my grandson (10 y.o.). He had a blast in the Fort.

patfan1 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  16. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "uniformed"? shee-it, he doesn't even wear the same scarf as the rest of us.

17. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And never will.

18. RevsSeasonTix

RevsSeasonTix Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I took time to read it. will respond to you via PM so I can get details on some of the points.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  19. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Hi Marcus, I'm not a STH but I have a multi-game pack; if you need numbers filled for this particular section I'd be happy to transfer my current seating choices over to this hypothetical area.

Also regarding multi-game ticket packs, I think integrated more STH-type benefits into them would at least get more people interested in checking the team out, as well as the opportunity to upsell them later. Right now I think the benefits are a bit lacking, with enticements only being (slightly) discounted seats, the order gift and the presale emails. I think adding a couple new benefits (opportunity to attend Meet the Coach and Supporter's Summit, for example) for multi-game pack holders would also provide a greater connection to the overall team/supporter's culture that is one of MLS' strongest selling points, to a wider base of people.

20. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think it was 1996 when I first suggested it in the old stadium. A section of the cheapest category at the other end, make it alcohol-free, and steer the familes who accidentally would up in The Fort.

It would have saved them a whole lot of hassle, right from the get-go, and maybe some of those kids who started out in the Family section would have turned into serious fans by now. Insted, mom or dad never took them to another game after those meanies in the Fort started yelling and stuff...

patfan1 repped this.
  21. StyleAndRhythm

Nov 27, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    I've been to probably 5 Revs games over the past 15 years after moving to NE.
    Personally, I think the fort is great. I've sat both in the fort and "The Morgue" and even up in the box area (where the red seats are I forget the section name). I think the one factor that turns me away the most, Marcus, is how singing and chanting almost secluded. I understand that it can get vulgar in a supporters section, but that does not mean the whole stadium can't join in on supporting a team.
    Maybe it's because I grew up watching Cruzeiro games, but I don't even know the official Revolution anthem. How do we expect the morgue to change if there's no fan education. Little Jonny and his friends can only scream about how high punts are because well, what else does he know?

Marcus man you got your work cut out for you. Best of luck

RevsFanDan, nsa, patfan1 and 1 other person repped this.
  22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is BS, and it's been pointed out repeatedly.

Kraft Out, nsa and shanary repped this.
  23. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcus, Welcome!! I think this is one of the things that the FO can help with. All the midfield sections I've been part of (110, 109, 107 and 108 in order of how frequently I've been in them) have a bit of an active disdain for what the Fort denizens would describe as supporting the team. For instance, I've been asked (rather forcibly) to sit down during the final two minutes of regular time (while the Fort is exhorting us to stand up) and been asked to "quiet down" when booing a ref's call. Perhaps there could be an education program that this behavior is OK and/or sections of the midfield where this kind of behavior (which I view a just supporting my team) is acceptable.

24. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is ridiculous... not you Revs/2010 but the fact that we are even having this conversation... that we need to teach people that it is ok to be a fan...

Crooked and patfan1 repped this.
  25. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    watchout, the bore-brigade might come and scold you about what being a real fan is.

RevsFanDan and shanary repped this.