New Revs employee now on BigSoccer

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    lmao you are the best

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't remember if it was '09 or '10 to be honest... but yes, all Cat III were the same price.
    Exactly.
    You're not contesting the complaining, but you asked what they specifically complained about? What does it matter? They shouldn't have been sold tickets in the section since they hadn't asked for the section.

3. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If someone is asking for the cheapest ticket, isn't it better to offer a 10-15 second explanation of the Fort and allow the customer to choose between the Fort and Category 3, rather than just eliminating the Fort as an option altogether just because the customer didn't specifically ask for it initially?

I'm not sure why you guys are advocating for less people in the Fort, if customers aren't provided an option because they didn't specifically ask for it. I'd suggest that a brief explanation would allow the customer to make the informed decision.

4. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's not what we're advocating for at all. If the ticket rep can properly explain what The Fort is and what the experience will be like, then yes, that's the better option. The issue is that people weren't prepared for what their viewing experience in The Fort would be like, and thus were extremely annoyed when they found most people standing, singing, etc.

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure why you're changing the story.

The Revs Front Office staff at the meeting told us this. Their words. It's not our job to go and tell the ticket staff how to do their jobs. It is the Revs FO's job.

6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think you should stand outside the ticket window and explain that to every customer.

7. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It wouldn't have to be explained to every customer, only the customers seeking the cheapest ticket.

I didn't say that you should tell the ticket staff how to do their jobs. However, if the Revs FO indicated at a meeting that people requesting the cheapest ticket would be referred just to Cat. 3 tickets, then something could have been said at that meeting, or shortly thereafter, that the intent isn't to keep people out of the Fort, but rather that people purchasing tickets to the Fort would have the proper expectations.

8. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    but what about those who don't even know about the Fort, who don't necessarily want the cheapest tickets? Shouldn't they get ALL of the information to be allowed to make an informed decision.

You've got some work to do.

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not the point.

What the FO said: "We won't sell Fort tickets unless they are requested" Their idea, not the SGs.
    What actually happened: Not the above.
    What was the result: Dissatisfied customers.

Why is that so hard to understand?

RevsLiverpool and Doublecard repped this.
  10. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Well this thread can be closed. I'm guessing by now RevsSeasonTix has realized the situation he's walked into and found a different job.

If not, welcome! If you're looking to bring in more ticket holders you need to convince the organization to run public transport of some sort to/from Boston. Whether that be shuttles from the closest commuter rail stop or preferably from the nearest subway stations, right now the team is alienating the majority of the 18-30 year old's in the area.

Crooked repped this.
  11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even something like Riverside would work ... makes for a shortish bus ride to/from the game.

We've been suggesting this for a while.

12. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I've actually been talking to Marcus about this via PM. He actually brought up the idea of doing it from one of the soccer bars. So that people could get some drinks, head to the game and be driven home (or at least back into the city) so they wouldn't have to drive drunk. I might actually go to a game, then! :)

13. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    The most important part is that it be done every game for an entire season. Even if they are running at a loss to begin with. You can't build support for this type of thing instantly, but by mid season you should see demand to be adding buses.

Crooked repped this.
  14. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Honestly, I think they should pick and choose carefully which game to do this, and at the start, only do a game or two to gauge interest. For two reasons:

a) You have no idea what the turnout for this would be, so committing to something for an entire season could be a mess logistically, and an even bigger mess financially. Which could scare them off of similar endeavors.

b) if you are bringing in new potentially fans, you want them to come down to the best possible experience. That way, they may be encouraged to come back.

That is why I think if they are smart and calculating, they should pick a specific game or two of an exciting team with marque players. One that you know the atmosphere is possibly going to be big for anyways. So, a late season game against say Seattle, LA, DC, New York etc...

They need with win over new customers, and win back disgruntled ones. You can't do that by offering a bus for every single game, only to find that the stadium atmosphere and experience is just as shitty as the last time they were there.

RevsLiverpool and Crooked repped this.
  15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what the Riders did last year. Makes sense to me.
    I think the goal should be to get this to the point that it's done every game. But to start with, pick a few games this year...

16. RevsSeasonTix

RevsSeasonTix Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Going to take way more than this to scare me off....you forget I was in Colorado during the Invesco days. If I can survive that, should be able to survive anything. There have been some real good ideas that have come up so far. Some of these will require help from you guys and gals to implement. I'll be in touch with people via PM to get further details on certain aspects. Remember my email is always open for suggestions. marcusm@revolutionsoccer.net

Jasonma and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  17. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I disagree pretty strongly, though I see your point. If you want dedicated fans, you can't tell them yeah, we'll bring you sometimes, but other games, sorry we're not really interested in your attendance. Losing money sucks, but growing a dedicated fanbase will negate those costs over time.

I think younger fans are either going to enjoy the experience of tailgating and the best soccer league in the country or they're going to complain that it's not as good as European football. I don't think our opponent will really change their view, though teams like NY and LA could necessitate more buses.

shanary and NFLPatriot repped this.
  18. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I understand there was a dissatisfied customer who purchased Fort tickets and didn't understand what the section is about. The FO had a bad idea of limiting the sale of tickets to the Fort to those who specifically requested them. At least one other person, I think it was Crooked, agreed that it is better to have the ticket salesperson briefly explain to people about the Fort if they are just seeking the cheapest ticket available.

Rather than staying on the position that the FO promised something and they didn't deliver, why not proceed with the better solution that is for the FO to train their ticket staff to inform people about the Fort if they are just seeking the cheapest ticket?

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do we know it was a bad idea if it was never actually tried?

If you want to suggest that, then fine, suggest it. But don't go writing things like "then something could have been said at that meeting", which implies you think the SGs are at fault for this.

20. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    If the plan as proposed was implemented, it would be a bad idea because it decreases the number of people in the Fort.

Second, it has been agreed that the better solution is for the ticket staff to inform these customers about the Fort. The previous response was simply, well the FO said they weren't going to sell Fort tickets unless specifically requested, but they didn't follow through with that promise. Let's focus on the better solution.

One of the first posts in this thread was about communication. Great, so the initial plan, if implemented would have solved the problem of dissatisfied customers in the Fort. However, if communication is important, than the SGs or whoever was in that meeting should offer the better proposal.

So far its been, the FO doesn't communicate. The FO had a plan. The FO didn't implement its plan. There is a better plan. Don't blame us for not suggesting this better plan.

Communication works both ways. There is a plan to welcome Revs fans who want the cheapest ticket into the Fort, but also discourage those who might not like the Fort atmosphere from purchasing tickets to that section.

21. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't feel like getting into this but the fort is not a normal section and should not be treated as such. I would rather have less people in the fort but a higher concentration of participating and willing to learn fans, than fans who just stand there and don't sing and don't participate. having non participating pockets of fans spread throughout the fort makes it more difficult to coordinate those who do and make the fort act as a cohesive single entity.

there are plenty of other sections with plenty of space, finding ways to keep the fort full of participating fans should be the goal of the SG's and FO. Not selling fort tickets unless specifically requested is one way, not giving out free fort tickets is also essential. Make the freebie tickets in 141 or 140, but we all need to find a way to make 143 and 142 about people who want to be there and be part of it. That being said restricting ticket sales to only SG's or security requiring fort tickets only to be admitted to those sections would be bad as well because we need to be open to letting people try it out.

The question I think we all need to figure out the answer to is how do we get rid of people who absolutely won't participate and encourage the rest to make an effort?

patfan1 and huskydeac repped this.
  22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. Everyone could turn around and point to the non participants, led by the guy on the megaphone, cueing them to join in or lead the chant. Nothing is more embarrassing than being called out (in a friendly way) by an entire section of supporters singing their lungs out, if you aren't. Too alienating? Well they will learn quick to not sit down or stand silently in the Fort. The Northeastern student section does this at hockey games to get people to stop talking on their cell phones and it works pretty well (and it's funny to watch). My professor did it to late students as they came into the lecture hall, hypothesizing funny reasons why they were late on a microphone in front of 300 fellow students. Needless to say, it reduced the lateness of people, so calling out is definitely an effective tactic.

A funny and clever chant 2 or 3 times a game to the silent people in the fort would do it. Something like "the morgues over there - we sing here! I can't hear you...." or something.

23. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    can marcus fire Burns?

StyleAndRhythm repped this.
  24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree completely. Having more people in the Fort is not a good thing IF those people don't want to be there. I'd guess that most [ 95%? ;)] of the people put there without asking to be in the Fort would be uncomfortable there.

And this is coming from someone who, when I was a season-ticket holder, sat near the Fort but not in it, because my bad back won't let me stand for 90 minutes.

So I was right, you DO blame the SGs. Thanks for clarifying.

25. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if doing every game or just pushing certain matches is the better way to go about this but I do think that this should be done in conjunction with the Supporters Groups so that they can make sure the soccer bar selected will be a successful one. They've done half-assed versions of this in the past and it would pick up from bars that have no supporting culture, likely just based on the relationship the bar owner has with the Revs Marketing crew which has a background in events in Boston. That's not good enough.

Also, if we want to show them how awesome tailgating is (one of the most unique thing about supporting the Revs, imo) then there needs to be a plan to allow these people to tailgate. Dropping them off at the Man Mall would seem like the easier idea but they'd be missing out on the supporters culture experienced in the lot. Further, don't have them set up with some sort of stupid "party deck" that encourages people to play FIFA and not watch the match on the field.

If the goal is to improve the Fort, then you need to target people who are potential supporters group members.

patfan1 repped this.