New possible homegrowns?

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by ATLGunner, Dec 1, 2009.

1. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    I think Juan Agudelo, Andy Najar and Ruben Luna are really closed to being signed.

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Could be. DC and the Red Bulls are finishing up a preseason game right now. Agudelo and Najar both started.

3. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    After some research, this Najar kid is 16??????
    must be something if he is getting look at ...

4. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Another thing,
    i really love to hear about Academy's, up and comping players, and young promising talent. However, i think there really think they NEED to bring back the reserve league.
    It is a must! i think thats the only way we are going to see the full potential of these players. You get better in practice, and learn from games.

a reserve league setup with the NASL, and likewise for a "Major League Soccer Academy" consiting of MLS teams, and NASL.

5. HighburyForever

HighburyForever Red Card

Oct 15, 2006
    Wooloomooloo, New South Wales
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Palodichuck is not really a WPFC or Sounders product. He spent the last 2 years at Bradenton.

6. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado's reserves did well and a bunch of their developmental roster players stepped up to the first team. However, that's totally independent of the Rapids Academy, which hasn't had a very high profile in terms of MLS signings or YNT callups.

Remember that the former reserve league was basically a flop. They played only 10 games and even with 28 man rosters, teams never had enough healthy players to field a full XI, so they would draft in random guys to fill the gaps. As a result, it was viewed as a joke by pretty much everybody, including players and coaches.

With 24 man rosters now, the idea of re-starting the reserve league in the immediate near-term is a non-starter. If MLS re-expands rosters and, more importantly, this NCAA rules reform goes through, a reserve league will become a much more attractive option. We just need to get rid of the rule that amateurs lose NCAA eligibility if they play alongside pros.

7. Jahinho_Guerro

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Exactly 28 man rosters, and player pool can be some players from the academy teams.

But yea this rule needs to clear, and i think once it does it will appear. Hence the reason why Vancouver is aable to keep their academy setup

8. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Doesn't mean he can't be added to their homegrown list if he decides to play. The subject is not who was developed by academies but who could be added to their homegrown list.

9. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    If I am reading what you are saying right then you don't understand the homegrown rule (not being mean, just stating a fact). In order to be added as a homegrown player the player has to be a member of that team's academy for 2 years prior to being signed to the first team (though I think Levya was less for FCD for some reason). If the player goes to college before he meets the minimum amount of time he can not be signed as a homegrown player (see Dilly Duka). I don't know the specifics on any Sounders product so I can't be of any help on that. But they would need to meet those requirements to be a homegrown player and signed directly.

10. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    That is what I thought until I saw this (a repost from GOALSeattle)

Answer from Darren Sawatzky, Sounders FC Youth Direcor...

"The actual rule is 80 training dates over 12 months. And, it is not related to the U18 group alone. A player can be added to the Home Grown list at any time from the U14 age group up. In order to be a “Home Grown Player” for an MLS team, the player must train 80 dates over a 12 month period of time preceding the Home Grown Player distinction.

These rules can change but this is the current rule for players in the MLS youth systems."

11. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Which is correct, but it doesn't take into account all the other nuances of the rule. Again, I don't know the specifics of the Seattle youth players. However, if the player was in a team that rolled into the Sounders academy, then they would need to be in the actual Sounders academy for a year. At least that is my understanding of the whole situation, and seeing how this is MLS I could be wrong.

12. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    I guess that's where we need more information. I would think that there would have to be some sort of grandfathering in for teams like Philly and Seattle whose senior teams haven't existed long enough to comply with the two year minimum.

13. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dynamo said they were going to have a press conference today at 1, but it got postponed till next week for whatever reason. However, a fellow dynamo fan found this little gem:

Dynamo sign Academy Player Navas

14. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Not surprising given the amount of time he saw during the preseason. Now hopefully NY can seal the deal on Agudelo. That would cap off an impressive crop of young players (including the GA signings) this offseason (and a couple of the late year academy signings).

15. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Apparently according to the NY post Agudelo refused MLS's first offer and is awaiting a reply.

Hopefully he's signed soon.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
  17. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Ruben Luna scored both goals in FCD's pre-season 2-2 draw at Tampa Bay Rowdies tonight

Baller

18. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    DC brought Andy Najar down to Charleston for their games in the Carolina Challenge Cup. He starts the second half of the game vs RSL out on the right side of midfield.

19. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he was a standout performer as well.

20. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Beast on the wing. Best part.................................. he has yet to turn 17.

21. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Until Tuesday.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This kid could be something special.

According to Buzz (in whom I trust regarding all things FCD) there is interest from both sides to sign. But there are..........legal/logistical/citizenship/nationality issues with him.

23. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's Honduran right? Has he represented them at the youth level?

25. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen anywhere which says he has. Goff said he has a green card.