New Poll (updated from last poll)- Since we got the news of yesterday...

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by Lucho305, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are going to have to start making up our minds up on names. Now this poll is a continuation from the previous poll, any name with 10 or more picks made this poll, and i'' will add a write in choice if possible..Good Luck

2. lexangel

lexangel New Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Miami
    Club:
    Nacional de Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm all for
    Miami Midnight F.C.
    or Miami Marauders F.C.
    vice versa

:cool:

3. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice.. Alex, u look like a pro already, damn ima loser

4. SpaceAddict

SpaceAddict New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Magic City FC

5. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a St. Louis backer (I promise I won't troll), I'm not going to vote because it isn't my team. But if I were from Miami, I would stay away from the Fusion, because too many comparisons to the old franchise. I would also stay away from Club Deportivo, because I can guarantee that your enemies will quickly translate it into Club Deported. Lots of negative connotations there.

The other choices are all pretty decent. Good luck with the choices.

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Likewise, you got your team - congratulations - make the most of it - I will not hassle you about it.

But two questions regarding names:

If Barca is not going to use "Barcelona", how likely is it that they will use Atletica, Deportivo, or Inter?

Does the USL team have a trademark on the use of Miami and FC?

As an outsider, I like FCB Miami and Miami Catalan as names.

7. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Traffic Sports owns the rights to both Miami FC and FC Miami, so those are probably out of the question.

I voted for Atlético Miami, but I also like FC Miami and CD Miami. As write in options I like Magic City FC that SpaceAddict suggested.

8. loco25

loco25 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Chicago
    FCB Miami or Miami FCB

9. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea but if i am not mistaken, the usl club and Miami MLS were maybe going to merge and therefor giving us the right to Miami FC or FC miami

10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Either really. The Miami FCB sounds and looks better. But the FCB Miami is more inline with the FC Barcelona of the mothership.

11. Onion41

Onion41 Member

Jun 13, 2007
    The Glass Factory
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well i think Union is gonna be used in Philly

12. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes true, but everyone has to realize that this team is being paid for in full by Marcelo Claure, he only had the backing of FC Barcelona, he said in an interview that the team will have its own identity, its own colors and own crest. He said this in an interview last year between Oct. and Nov.

I realize that Laporta said that it was going to be to promote Barca in the US, but maybe he could have easily meant, promote Barca in a sense that means skill level. If barca can win in spain and can win Champions league, then Miami MLS can do the same here in the western hemisphere (winning MLS Cup, and winning Concacaf Champions League). So if someone sees the Miami team ripping everybody being unstoppable, the fact that they are so good is because, why? Because it is backed by Barcelona. the staff was supposeably going to be all by Barca, sports director (Big mustache guy) was in team Barca.

Claure owns a team in Bolivia (FC Bolivar) and they have ties to Barca like Real Salt Lake to Real Madrid, and rapids with Arsenal and so on and so forth, meaning that he used Barca's help to attract a fan base that is really hard to impress in Miami, and so with the help of barca having his back obviously it is going to be big. The whole world is in on this expansion move because of barca, do you think if he was at it alone, the whole world would care? probably not, so yea, i believe that teh team should and will have its own identity.....

13. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barca Miami or Barcelona USA...

Barcelona will not settle for Atletico or Deportivo, actually they would think Miami fans are retarded to vote for Atletico, since Barcelona is the identity of the club and they want to promote Barcelona in the USA. remember if it wasn't for Barcelona we wouldn't be talking about a expansion in Miami...Miami owes Barcelona if they get the next MLS team

14. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The absolute furthest they can go in terms of putting Barça in the name, and still look somewhat respectable, is FCB Miami/Miami FCB, and I could easily live with that. However, I doubt in a honest fan based name the team contest any Barça related name would win out. If something like that wins the contest, it will probably mean that it wasn't the most popular, it was the one FCB liked best.

As for Atlético, I don't see how Barça could be so opposed to using that name because just a year ago they renamed their B team "FC Barcelona Atlétic". Or they could go with AC Miami, depending on how things in Philly turn out.

If FCB absolutely has to be in the name in some way, my vote would be for Miami Fusion FCB. It's just one extra letter on the end of the old team's official name, and it would be able to be shortened so we wouldn't have to say "FCB" or "Barça Miami" every time. They would simply be referred to as the Fusion.

15. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

This article posted by Count in the other bid not only calls the separate identity into question. It calls the whole thing into question.

I'm truly shocked.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/soccer/story/880548.html

16. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but it also says MLS sources expect an announcement by mid-February. My guess is the news came out early and the league didn't like someone making their announcement for them and asked Claure to deny it.

17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

True - and I still think Miami is in just as I did before the leak - but as I mentioned in the other thread, it is odd that the hold up mentioned is the one issue that neither Claure nor MLS have any control over. It's a contract issue between Nike and Barca.

18. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's with the optimism after a article like that:

miamiarh wrote on 01/30/2009 04:04:06 PM:
    Soccer will never make it here!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember we are all soccer fans, but it's different with the average Miami sports fan, and if they sell over 15,000 tickets for the first game it's probably because FIU college students are curious what a Miami MLS game will look like.

19. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    There will be FIU students will be at every game. The first season will no doubt sell out. And in the future, I have no doubt as well.

20. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are really optimistic...first season a sell-out...we will see

21. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, we get the same kind of "soccer sucks/nobody watches soccer" remarks in the forums of the St. Louis newspapers, too. There is always a group of people that have to make it a point to tell the world how much they hate soccer. They don't normally go on the real soccer fourms, but they do frequently haunt the newpapers sites. But they're definitely not indicative of the soccer support in any city, not St. Louis or Miami or any other city.

22. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Miami Sharks.

23. Jonathan Cid

Jonathan Cid New Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    "Atletico Miami" - It isn't appropriate in the American Major League Soccer. I'm sorry. You like it, and it fits the Miami demographic, but that doesn't make it appropriate. What's wrong with Miami Athletics? Or FC Miami? It's better to respectful and honor the nation where this club plays, and it's grassroots, then to create a mini-republic geared to everyone but the USA. This team will stand in front of the American flag and listen to this country's national anthem and it would be a hypocrisy to do otherwise. This club isn't an opportunity to recreate someone else's homeland. In the same way we don't want Barca using us as branding cattle, the USA would be rightfully outraged to have the American MLS used as branding cattle for foreign cultures. It's called cultural hegemony, and it's completely inappropriate and offensive.

Luckily, I think Claure understands the concept of cultural hegemony and would not be so stupid. What really makes Chivas USA stand out, isn't so much about the influence of a non-MLS club, but the foreign cultural imposition.

If this were to be the team name, I would support the team, but with a broken heart to see people trying to imitate foreign nations rather than build up American soccer. It shows a lack of concern for American soccer, and more pedalling for foreign nations. I wonder how they would feel to have their teams be hegemonized by the USA. Then it would be imperialism.

I think everyone's being selfish and arrogant imposing a Spanish name on a team in a country whose tongue is English. And I think it sends a message to the rest of the nation about Miami that isn't pretty - we're arrogant, and we do what we want, for our own miniature republic, with no concern for the USA.

I've written to the Miami FCB website to complain in advance.

24. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted Miami FC, but ment to vote for Fusion....

like I said in the other topic though, I think "Miami Fusion FCB" is the best choice.

25. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami Millionaires