New Orleans

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by JeremyEritrea, May 3, 2010.

1. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heading to the Big Easy for the first time for the Microsoft Tech-Ed conference (June 7th-11th), but my wife and I are heading down on Thursday the 3rd to have a long weekend before the conference starts.

Staying at the Hotel Monteleone on Royal Street in the French Quarter.

Any pointers on what to see?

I've got a few recommendations already from friends who know the city pretty well, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some things I've been able to come up with, pretty much at random:

Spend some time sitting in the courtyard at Pat O's. Drink either hurricanes or - one of my favorites from those days - a French 75. There is this fountain with a big flame in the middle of it that is pretty wild so if you have anything interesting to smoke, do so beforehand.

The Moonwalk at night can be pretty romantic.

The Voodoo Museum or, even better, visit some cemeteries.

Ride the St. Charles streetcar from where it starts downtown all the way to the end of the line at Carrollton & Claiborne Avenues (four blocks from the house I grew up in.) There's also another streetcar line but I've never ridden it (it's new since I've last lived there) so I can't personally vouch for it.

If you have a car, you could probably do a Katrina tour of the ninth ward or the Lakefront area but that would be a huge downer.

But above all, eat. I won't bother recommending particular places because everyone else will do that and it doesn't really matter. It's hard to get a bad meal there so you're set no matter what.

3. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! Would have never thought of the streetcar thing. I'll probably take the Riverfront line back and forth to the hotel and convention center during the conference.

4. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Orleans is a great walking city. Visit the Garden and Warehouse Districts. Walk along Canal Street. Visit Jackson Square and the Saint Louis Cathedral.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you know anyone local or know anyone that used to live there, get some pointers from them. Tourist New Orleans is fun, but there's some awesome stuff off of the tourist routes too.

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know a few people who grew up there (including Barbara, who already responded).

And yeah, I want to get away from the "touristy" stuff as much as possible.

I'm so glad Treme is running on HBO right now. Trying to get some ideas from that show, like going to see Kermit Ruffins at Vaughn's Lounge, which is east of the French Quarter, not too far from the 9th Ward.

7. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I used to live not far from New Orleans, and would visit several times a year.

Vaughn's is in Bywater which is the upper 9th ward (lower 9th is on the other side of the Industrial canal). There are some good spots mixed into that area, but I would probably take a cab after dark (way too far to walk anyway, and not sure I would want to drive and park either as it has some high crime pockets as well), plus it's not far from the French Quarter and fare would be reasonable. Faubourg Marigny, between French Quarter and Bywater, is an interesting neighborhood too.

Wandering the French Quarter for a day is certainly a must if you haven't visited, as is the streetcar through the Garden district.

I am also a fan of the cemetery tours, seems morbid, but they have very elaborate tombs and you learn about some city historical figures. I've never been to it myself, but some friends told me the World War II museum is interesting, if that subject interests you.

8. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You absolutely must see the Rebirth Brass Band on Tuesday night at the Maple Leaf Bar.

http://mapleleafbar.com/

Just take the St. Charles street car to Oak Street, and it's about 3 blocks walk.

I agree that there are too many good restaurants to choose from, but if you can still get oysters (a big if :mad::() go to Drago's for the charbroiled oysters. You'll thank me later!

Catch me at a tailgate, we can talk some more.

9. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh, the Maple Leaf - excellent suggestion. Oak Street is part of my old stomping grounds because I spent 9 years at Mater Dolorosa.

10. benito camelpene

May 31, 2003
    miami
    I'm going to be in New Orleans for four nights in about two weeks. It's my first time there and I'm going alone and I"m a bit lost. Where are good places to go for a single guy looking to fill in the hours during the day and at night?

11. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only eaten at an Applebee's in Slidell, LA, a suburb. That's my brush with Louisiana civilization.

12. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to have his babies.

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    According to the travel channel:

You could try going to Mothers for the shrimp and oyster Po'Boy or the Acme Oyster House for half shell Heaven. http://www.mothersrestaurant.net/http:// www.acmeoyster.com/

Question for those in the know about New Orleans, is the A.O.H. all that it's cracked up to be or is it just hype?

16. TxDynamo

TxDynamo Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Houston
    i dont know but that oyster rockefeller soup sounds legit. Hell i may go there tonight. Also Coffee and Beignets after a meal is a must IMO.

17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since our hotel is right around the corner from Acme Oyster House, I'm definitely going to find out if it's any good. I LOVE oysters. Haven't heard about Mother's but it looks worth checking out.

Planning to hit Cafe Du Monde for coffee and beignets at least once.

18. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't have HBO so I haven't seen it yet. I'm campaigning to get HBO but I imagine by then I'll have missed a few episodes. I'll probably download them. I'm definitely buying the DVDs when they come out.

On the other hand, I'm afraid that it might be upsetting.

19. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't eat raw oysters so I don't really know. But really, anywhere in the Quarter where you can sit, have a drink and watch people go by is lots of fun. Outstanding people-watching. Only Vegas can rival it for that.

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If you are a history buff, the WWII/D-Day museum is very, very good. And I believe their new eatery is run by John Besh. Never been to the AOH, but oysters are oysters and I can't see you going wrong there. I remember my father telling me about going there when he got off work and getting a dozen oysters for a nickel (that would have been the 1930's - really showing my age here!).

From what I read seafood prices are all over the place, and some places are just not offering oysters and shrimp rather than charge astronomical prices. Crawfish are "fresh" water critters, so unaffected by the Big Prick spill. Definitely tuck into a mountain of mudbugs someplace.

And I reiterate about going to Drago's for the charbroiled oysters. Parade magazine (the wife reads it, not me) just quoted Drew Brees as saying it's his favorite NOLA food, so there's another vote. Pretty sure their new location is in the Hilton at the foot of Canal Street (on the river). The people at the hotel will know. Great choice with the Monteleone, by the way. The bar spins around even before you start to drink!

21. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually a pretty uplifting show. The music is amazing.

22. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I picked the Monteleone for two reasons - it's the only "conference" hotel in the French Quarter AND it's got a bar that spins. :D

23. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Any place that has been on Treme is busy now. Prepare for a line. But most of the places are worth it anyway, or they would not have made it on the show!

24. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're catching up on the latest episode of Treme, which has a scene with the fictional chef character talking to Chef John Besh that was filmed inside of Restaurant August, the place we're going for our anniversary. I recognized it from the building outside the window, which I saw from the "street view" in Google Earth.

Very cool. :D

Nine days until we get there. I cannot freaking wait!!

25. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bourbon is Bourbon. But if you are thinking about a night on Bourbon, go Uptown sir.