New Orleans And Major League Soccer?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Zimbabwe_National, Apr 20, 2007.

1. DCUPedro

DCUPedro Member

Feb 12, 2010
    District of Columbia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Tulane played two games at Gormley ever. Tulane's old stadium was the original "sugar bowl", held 85k on Tulane's campus, hosted three super bowls. Torn down in the late 70's/early 80's after the Superdome was built.

Here is a glimpse of how Tulane's new stadium is coming along on campus (about 27k seats, 30k capacity, $75m). As I stated last year, I don't think it is viable for MLS.

But per the rumors in this thread, here is where MLS was "supposed to be played" at in New Orleans:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

panicfc repped this.
  2. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Its not viable for an MLS team. The Parking would be utterly horrendous. I go to Tulane everyday to play pick-up soccer at the Reilly field which is located literally right behind where they're building that stadium, so I pass it up everyday and during baseball games just getting to the garage to park near the field is hell. Too compact and tight and definitely not enough room.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am still laughing. How about you guys?

4. DCUPedro

DCUPedro Member

Feb 12, 2010
    District of Columbia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah parking's going to be bad for Tulane football as well, but there's the rub: it's one thing for the school to turn the neighborhood upside down six Saturday afternoons a year. It's another thing to do it another 20, and for a professional enterprise as well. Was never going to happen. Actually a bit of a shame though, because Yulman really would be perfect for MLS in design, with the exception of being a bit too narrow.

5. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    You can book it.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, everything we all said here is going to be right there for everybody to see when New Orleans United is announced...being the front-runners and all that.

7. NOLA

NOLA Member

Jan 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think New Orleans will ever be a MLS city. But I do think we can support a USL team. Maybe.

panicfc repped this.
  8. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What about NASL?

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes what about the NASL?

Do you have assets around $20 million, then you too can own a NASL franchise. USL Pro is easier.

10. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't. Someone in NOLA might well be interested.

11. Dogham

Dogham Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Broomfield, CO
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a stadium can be put together, maybe NOLA lures the Atlanta Silverbacks NASL franchise when Atlanta gets MLS in 2017. Too many other areas around country with strong soccer roots (Minneapolis, St Louis, Charlotte, etc) that would be considered for the 24th expansion team in MLS before NOLA.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, wait, we were told NOLA was the front-runner. Done deal. Book it. We'll all be eating crow.

13. Dogham

Dogham Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Broomfield, CO
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if we will all be eating crow, then we better plan ahead.......I'll bring plates and cups. Who's got sodas, chips, etc?

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COME ON MAN!

This New Orleans we're talking about... crawfish, po-boys, beignets, etouffé, jambalaya, gumbo... beer, hurricanes, daiquiris (drive up no less), and then all sorts of good eats.

:)

15. JoeTerp

JoeTerp Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USA
    New Orleans needs to be added to MLS just for the great away trips for the fans of other teams.

I have never been to New Orleans, but from what tv and movies tell me, its pretty much the most important city from a cultural point of view in America. And from the outside, it seems to be very unique. Maybe its the French influence or Napoleonic law, but when a novel, show, or movie is set down there, it has a different vibe. And for whatever reason, the folks of New Orleans haven't seen to taken much to the game, and they also don't seem like the type to change things quickly especially at the behest of outsiders, meaning, you can't shove things down their throats, and if they really were into soccer, why wouldn't there have been a clamoring for it?

It is a shame though, because I think soccer, unlike most other American pro sports, allows for a club to reflect the community it comes from. I am sure that a New Orleans soccer club would have developed some great traditions over the years.

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also I believe Orlando MLS is a joke and never going to happen. Right?

DynamoEAR, Macsen and Skippysasquirrel repped this.
  17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1993 - New Orleans Riverboat Gamblers joined the USISL
    Team drew pretty well, including a US Open Cup match against the Dallas Burn on a wet Tuesday night that had about 7,000 in attendance.

US Open Cup semi-final doubleheader - over 7,000, which at the time was a record attendance for a US Open Cup match.

Santos v Cosmos - 1976- Superdome, this is from memory, but I think it was a near sell out.

Also New Orleans has over 100,000 Hondurans, and new large contingent of Hondurans.

It does have a different vibe, it has the best food in the country. Gas stations in New Orleans would be five star places in other parts of the country. ;)

San Diego Socker repped this.
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6,269 officially.

6,154, officially, and Rochester had drawn 9,287 a month prior.

September 5, 1976 the Cosmos played Dallas in front of 12,500.

The only other time in that time period (outside of the Pele Farewell Match) that the Cosmos played Santos appears to have been in the Silverdome in October 1977 (days after the Black Pearl retired). That match drew 24,689. I can't find another game against Santos prior to 1980, or another match that they played in the Superdome, either in 1976 or 1977.

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Officially = just telling you what the USSF guys told me. Also, remember that $ had to be sent to USSF based on reported tickets sold. ;)

Also it was a semi-final record, as per USSF's Julian Stanculescu. Of course he may have been off by a few thousand. Either way, they were quite happy with the event.

I know I was at the Superdome and in high school, and I know I saw the Cosmos v Santos - even Pelé himself remembered this event "Superdome, turf was crap!" .

20. JoeTerp

JoeTerp Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USA
    Those are interesting anecdotes, but to me, it doesn't show that there was a strong desire/will to bring the game in a professional manner to the city, or else it would have happened by now.

But the true shame is that 120 years ago, there should have been clubs founded that played and lasted until today, maybe playing originally in state leagues or region leagues, etc. and then eventually going national (sort of like Brazil or Germany). In that imaginary world, there would probably be a couple teams from New Orleans still alive; they probably wouldn't be very good. But they would have the most unique atmosphere and traditions. They might even have a unique playing style that defines the team through several generations, and keeping to that style and the fan traditions would be equally as important as winning.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know what to tell you, mate. The Cosmos have no record of such a match in their 1983 media guide, and it lists all of their international friendlies. I can find no other record of any match other the the Cosmos-Tornado match of 1976. And I can find no mention anywhere of any match in the Superdome. The Cosmos did play Santos in a dome, but in Detroit.

So if such a match actually happened, it was a very well-kept secret. Which seems odd.

22. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it was the Tornado, but I was 14 so it is possible.

==
    New Orleans - not going to get an NASL team unless a rich guy wants to put one there. They have had minor league soccer for most of the past 20 years. Always comes down to money.

23. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    They are coming to Birmingham.

24. Pike

Pike Member

Arsenal | Hertha Berlin | Brest 29
    United States
    Jun 3, 2000
    New Orleans Born | Shanghai
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way NOLA gets a team in MLS if a major money guys decides to get involved, like Benson or someone of that stature. Last I heard, only a few small time lawyers and coaches are involved. This is not going to cut it.

25. BamaMan

BamaMan Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Club:
    Esbjerg fB
    There are a lot of reasons why New Orleans might not get an MLS team, but don't let parking be one of them. Birmingham built a brand new baseball stadium downtown with 8,500 capacity last year. Doom and gloom was predicted because the stadium literally had almost no dedicated parking and it was in the middle of UAB's footprint. Parking is a persistent thorn at UAB. The stadium has gone over like gangbusters and it has been discovered that people have the ability to walk. Businesses along the walking route have discovered people walking buy things.

New Orleans has even less excuse because it's got better public transport and a better demonstrated ability to manage big events. Yulman looks like it's coming along great. MLS is a longshot for everybody not in a top 10 media market at this point. Maybe Birmingham and New Orleans could both get an NASL team going soon and have a little bit of a regional rivalry.