New Orleans And Major League Soccer?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Zimbabwe_National, Apr 20, 2007.

1. pjk481

pjk481 New Member

Oct 9, 2013
    For domestic matches, FIFA allows as little as 50 yards.
    http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/lotg_en_55753.pdf

It would be tight for sure, just pointing out that it shouldn't be dismissed based on this issue alone.

2. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though I think there is some credit to a financial partnership to bring a soccer franchise to NOLA, there is no real soccer history for the city outside of "it's been played there a long time." We thought this with St. Louis and that NASL franchise fell flat.

I see New Orleans to a similar city to Las Vegas. Great city to visit, but not many people think of it for much else.

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the FIFA limit for clubs in a first division?

I am pretty sure the MLS rules or USSF rules for professional stadia are 65 yards wide and at least 105. This may only be a mindfact, but I'm usually pretty good on these things.

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Saints and Pelicans beg to differ, as do the record number of Super Bowls.

NASL St Louis fell flat because of ownership, which is usually the reason most if not all minor league teams fail.

In the hey days of the Gamblers, attendance was over 2,500 for a 3 year run. Had the baseball people at the Zephyrs deferred to the soccer people, it probably would have grown to over 4,000. Alas, miss steps were made, people ran for Congress, and the team died a slow and painful death.

5. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure, if Vegas had the facility, a Super Bowl there would be a huge success. I think New Orleans would be an interesting pick, but I'm not sure about the viability.

Also, that stadium looks nice!

6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Having spent time in both cities NOLA is not even close to comparable to STL in terms of soccer.

And STL has more than twice as many people in the metro area.

7. DCUPedro

DCUPedro Member

Feb 12, 2010
    District of Columbia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The agreement specifically prohibits more than 10 "Non-Football Major Events" per year, and defines those as events that would reasonably expect to bring more than 2500 cars to the neighborhood. Again... There is NO parking. As the renderings show, this is a residential neighborhood!

Also, my feeling from following the negotiations that allowed stadium construction is that there are... other concerns with soccer. Let me put it this way: this is a very elite, very white, exclusive neighborhood. They have some problems with Tulane students, but do have a relationship with Tulane and Tulane has been a good neighbor. In my opinion, the limitations over major events at the stadium were based on concerns that New Orleans public HS football games would bring an "undesirable element" (e.g., low income African Americans) to their neighborhood. Now how do you think they will warm to the idea of thousands of NOLA catrachos with drums and horns swarming their neighborhood 20-25 days a year? I'm not calling the neighbors racist, but... Oh wait, I am.

There will not be MLS at this stadium. It doesn't make sense on too many levels. And in the end, it's a tiny market, with little to no soccer supporting history, that won't add any tv revenue to the league. So let's get serious.

USvsIRELAND and SYoshonis repped this.
  8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Mr. Crazy dude who thinks NOLA will get MLS:

Do you think its possible that Benson is trying to bring MLS to San Antonio?

That would make more sense. Benson has ties there and wanted to move the Saints there.

9. Tishoudy

Tishoudy Member

Aug 4, 1999
    LA
    Benson lives in San Antonio a good part of the year, but I think he has no desire to bring a team there. He learned after Katrina that there's a lot of money to be made in sports in New Orleans. While initially he tried to move the Saints to S.A., only to have that plan blocked by Tagliabeu, all Benson has done since has been invest in New Orleans.

In the last five years, he has:
    bought the NBA Hornets/Pelicans
    bought the Fox news station affiliate
    bought a major highrise in downtown New Orleans

The Tulane Stadium agreement with the neighborhood is a small obstacle to overcome, if it needs to overcome it at all. Is it a legally binding contract? If the Tulane Stadium did fall through, there are lots of other options: a renovated Gormley, the new stadium on the west bank, or a new stadium in Metairie near the Saints facility.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, thanks for letting us know that there are now other options for the potential MLS team in New Orleans.

11. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Tishoudy, are you backing off of your position that MLS is all but a sure thing in NOLA? Haven't heard anything from you since your proclamations.

12. Tishoudy

Tishoudy Member

Aug 4, 1999
    LA
    Nothing is a sure thing if it's not written in a contract and signed by both parties, but I still hold that New Orleans is number one on the expansion cities.

13. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahead of Orlando, Miami and Atlanta? Three cities actually named by Garber?

14. Tishoudy

Tishoudy Member

Aug 4, 1999
    LA
  15. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    and how did you come to that conclusion?

16. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not before Orlando.

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ;)

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Would be a great reason to visit my family in the BR but perhaps it's best to start with a solid USL or NASL team.

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did you get a yellow card for?

==
    I still can't find anyone else with any info, and I've hit over a dozen "in the know" types.

20. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you said that he and Malcolm Glazer paid for the Tulane stadium specifically to bring MLS to New Orleans. And then bristled when we pointed out how that was total bullshit.

You also said that Orlando was not getting a team as a result. Are you ready walk back that ridiculous statement now too, or is one blatant backpedal enough for one night?

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SYoshonis, don't let facts and silly reality temper your opinion. It all depends on your point of view, and medication.

SYoshonis repped this.
  22. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    New Orleans demographics arent ideal, and its future prospects arent great either.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Please elaborate. By the way, what are your credentials, and where do you live? When was the last time you were in NOLA?

24. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odds are against NOLA/MLS - but that last guy annoys me. The city is rebounding from Katrina, the state is rebounding, and NOLA has an NFL (30 year wait for season tickets) and the NBA (rapidly improving and selling tickets pretty good as well.).

25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The problem with the internet is that it makes everyone feel they are an expert on everything.