New or Used: The Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by dcc134, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    60k is the intention.

2. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

That would be fantastic, though I won't believe it until I see it. If one thing is for sure though it's that 45k is much too small for a club of our stature.

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
  4. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    have any real plans for the stadium been released?

5. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Just the surrounding areas around the stadium, and even that is just proposed venues and changes to the roads. They won't release stadium plans until they can actually submit the proposal to the Liverpool Council. They can't do that until all the houses are owned and the planning has been done.

But talk is rebuild the main stand and Anfield Road end, add development to facilities and some boxes elsewhere.

6. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea is to build a modern Main Stand with its foot print extending into the car park behind the stand and into the homes on that side of Lothair Road. It would also mean new changing facilities for both teams etc. I hope they keep the steps to the pitch and the This is Anfield sign. On the Anfield Road side, there is a question as to how they propose to expand the stand. Will it break the Anfield road at that point, have the road continue under the stand or propose putting a loop in the road extending into Stanley Park. Key question is how they will propose dealing with the Hillsborough flame and memorial in that stand.

kopiteinkc repped this.
  7. Kutsuit

Kutsuit Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Kuwait City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Kuwait
    That's very true. The only way we can compete with the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and the two Manchester clubs is to expand our stadium's seating capacity. So far, the plan is to increase Anfield's capacity to 60,000 seats. That's probably still not good enough, but at least it's a start.

8. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty much all the site will take and frankly what we can fill every week

Wingtips1 repped this.
  9. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is somewhat of a fallacy. The return on investment in additional seating is very small and only pays out over the long term. Over the next 10 years the ROI on the stadium upgrades is pretty close to break even. Only after that will we see a relatively slight increase in revenue. 15k * $1000 per season ticket is only 15M per season. That's not going to make us rich club over night.

The difference between our revenues and Arsenal/Chelsea/City is basically the champions league money, plus or minus. Commercial deals are where the real potential growth in revenue is and while were are doing well on that front, there is plenty of opportunity out there we aren't taking advantage of.

10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Luxury boxes/suites also make a lot of money - I assume more of those would be in the works for the posh wankers.

poopoobigelow and liverbird repped this.
  11. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    come on - Scholesy is AWESOME! :D

12. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but there isn't the market for 150 boxes. Either way, while revenue will increase and its a worthwhile endeavor, its not going to bring in 100m of additional revenue per anum. Its 20 or 30.

If they thought we'd be looking at 100m extra per year, we wouldn't be pissing around with the leftover home owners and offering bottom dollar. Deals would be made and we'd be moving forward already.

13. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure they would keep the "This Is Anfield" sign over the entrance to the field in some configuration under the Main Stand. I have always assumed Anfield Road will be pushed out into the park a little for the larger the footprint that you mentioned, , and it wouldn't be hard to move the flame/memorial. Maybe they will incorporate them into an all-new plaza somewhere around the new stands?

14. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shot at Scholesy out of nowhere!

;)

ETA: Damnit, terp beat me to it a while ago.

15. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the proposed "Avenue" going to be name 96 Avenue or something to that effect? Would make sense to relocate somewhere along there.

Seems likely they will close Anfield Rd at the start of the Avenue, which would allow for expansion of the AR stand footprint.

16. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People still live on Anfield Road in areas not part of the plans

17. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but they could still close between Alroy and Skerries and those people would still have access in and out. Doesn't seem practical to maintain through traffic with the proposed walking mall Avenue extending into Stanley Park, regardless of what they did with the stand footprint.

18. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those residents will love living on a dead end street!

19. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ? Its not a dead end, there would be a turn. You close at an intersection with an existing road, not in the middle of the block. There are probably a billion examples of roads that have right or left turns at the end of them.

20. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is going to be our biggest issue. How many of Arsenal's boxes are filled by people just in London for business being given the true "English experience". Go to London, meeting in the city then catch a match at Emirates on the companies tickets. Almost like a guys version of a West End Play. They have a ready supply of fat cats ready to shell out for corporate tickets.

Although I love the City of Liverpool it's not exactly London or Paris. Having said that we still have one of the biggest supports world wide just waiting for something to get excited about. If we can be smart and a little lucky and get back to winning things we can compete. I mean Manchester isn't exactly London or Paris, hell for that matter it isn't even Liverpool :D.

21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    After watching the match at Melbun today with 100k peoples in the MCG makes me think of the quote from field of dreams (You remember, where heaven is in a cornfield...:rolleyes:)

"If you build it, they will come."

el-capitano repped this.
  22. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The late '80's was a great era for baseball flicks.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  23. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In your next life Ken, you will doubtless be a rabid baseball fan who somehow finds himself in Tajikistan without any way to follow your beloved Miami Marlins. :)

24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    One can only wish, hope and dream.

Anywhere where the idea of heaven is a freekin corn field in Ohio......Or some place like it, is worse than Tajikistan....:)

But my point was (and I shouldn't have used a sedentary game as a metaphor) Build in 50 k seats and they'll be filled, Build 70K and they will also.

liverbird repped this.
  25. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't insult the good state of Iowa by confusing it w/ Ohio.

;)

I was just in Iowa last weekend to visit some relatives, and I was reminded how beautiful of a state it can be. Mile after mile of rolling green fields, which is much better than flat-ass Central Illinois. If any of you has ever driven I-55 between St. Louis and Chicago - you know what I speak of. The prettiest landscapes in this state are the least populated.