News: New Name for the Home Depot Center

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Jan 24, 2013.

1. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that definitely confirmed? If so, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Hopefully next year that means new, HD boards so replays aren't so hard to see. I would say a new seeding but they just did this over this last offseason and the grass looks great.

2. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why must it be called Center though? It's such a stupid name. I get that the whole thing is a complex but the stadium should have it's own unique name. Stubhub Park or at least something that sounds like their is a sport, center is just lame

3. MadSci

MadSci New Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    First Home Depot Center, and now StubHub Center..terrible names.

4. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dreadful.

Pizza Hut Park now has an equal.

I'm still going to refer to it as Victoria Street or perhaps Magee's Playground.

Hachiko repped this.
  5. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Victoria Street Park

Topper repped this.
  6. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By my count if reports are true we doing about $20m per/yr in shirt, stadium and tv contracts. That alone is probably higher then the revenue of several MLS clubs.

Decent......

I could really care less what the stadium is called if we get $10m, the Home Depot Center wasn't good, doesn't matter.

7. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Continuity. [Sponsor] Center. Affinity to AEG’s other big LA sports property. Staples Center. Looking at their worldwide properties AEG seems quite partial to [Sponsor] Center.

8. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As mentioned on the latest Corner of the Galaxy, I think we should start calling it Victoria Street as a practice, simply because StubHub Center is probably going to change at some point too.

9. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully we will see that money leak into stadium improvements, the "whateverucallitnow" center is looking aged already

10. Hushx

Hushx Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest i wouldve preferred The Los Angeles Temple of Asskkicking and Epic Win(s). Better than Stubhub Center.

Hachiko repped this.
  11. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too pretentious for my own liking doe.

12. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i still think we should sell to chivas and build a new one centrally located in LA. it's REALLY hard to build a fanbase in the US in a up and coming sport when you have to share the damn area and stadium. How many fans are we missing out on North of LA in the valley or up to even Ventura? I know 10 friends that fit in that category that the drive is too far for them.

13. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    There was definitely a push when the [Sponsor] Center first opened, it even slipped in to a few broadcasts. I’m all for it.

phoenixhazard repped this.
  14. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

15. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    AEG gets $70 million out of Home Depot for 10 years, now gets potentially $60 million for 6 years out of Stub Hub. They're going to nearly pay off the entire construction of the facility ($150 million) with naming rights alone in just about 15 years, pretty damn good business on AEG's end.

16. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that moving the grounds may put you closer to some people but it puts you further away from others. Is there any reason to think there are more people in Ventura that would come to a game than there are people in the South Bay or Orange County who would take a pass. It's not like you have plotted out the population density of SoCal soccer fans. You would need to look at the data (which we will never see, I know) about where the season ticket holder base lives. I would guess LAG has just as many or more fans who live South of Carson than there are that live North of Carson.

17. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Totally unscientific, but the parade of kids’ teams before the game is always well represented by teams south of Carson, hell south of Tustin.

18. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd be more bent out of shape if it had ever been called anything other than <insert sponsor name here> Center. If they changed the name of the Rose Bowl to Stub Hub Bowl (for instance) that would be an issue, but this name change, meh.

As it is SHC is worse than HDC (true) but is it going to stop me going to matches? No. Is it going to put money in the coffers? Yes.

As for the stadium moving, nah. Capacity is fine as it is and the facilities are in good shape. You may gain foot traffic in a more central location, but the costs to build would be high (which almost certainly would lead to increased prices) and I can't see the FO freezing out the disposable income of many of the Orange County based fans (to which I align myself geographically, if not financially :D)

Topper repped this.
  19. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then Chivas should move, all I'm saying is you have one of the biggest metro areas in the world in LA and instead of splitting the base we are fighting over the same fans. I only say downtown b/c thats a sexier option and we should have the better stadium over Chivas

20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Let's just say I don't think AEG will give up on Farmers Field even though it seems dead in regards to the NFL. Maybe a scaled down version for us in the future ;)

21. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Chivas announce crowds of 7,000 with only half that in the stadium. There is no fight for fans in the LA area. Just saying'.

22. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ur kidding?

thats 7,000 that could be LAG fans if Chivas didn't exist. We might be the way more popular team but ur being very ignorant thinking that Chivas doesn't affect the Galaxy support based on where they are located

23. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not sure I appreciate the tone of your post or the name-calling but let's put that aside and dissect the Chivas support (figuratively as much as some would prefer otherwise :))

Ask yourself, why would an individual choose to go and see a Chivas game over a Galaxy game? There are two drivers I have seen in person from attending some Chivas games (I did shower afterwards fwiw) and talking with their fans.

1) The cost of the ticket is dirt cheap or free. The Galaxy would not be improving their financial position any by matching this ticket option and therefore what difference does it make to 'win' this fan? I see little difference. A few more bums on seats but no impact on the bottom line.

2) They are die-hard Guadalajara fans and are supporting Chivas USA by extension of supporting their real team. This has been a long standing contention of mine that the entire Chivas USA business model was kaput from the outset as they automatically alienated a significant proportion of the fan base by retaining an identity sure to put off fans of Tigres, America, Cruz Azul and so forth. If they had gone out with Mexico USA or another moniker, this would have created a material rival for fans. But a solid proportion of this fan base are there only because the shorts are red and white, make no mistake. They are not up for grabs.

That leaves very few fans who would actually switch their dollars from Chivas USA to the Galaxy and lets face it, there are plenty of seats available and the 'floaters' would likely have chosen (and in most cases already have chosen) to watch the G's and the world class players they can put out on the field.

If anything, the presence of a local rival helps the Galaxy in terms of passion and (for a couple of games) numbers, but if Chivas were to head to San Diego tomorrow, we may see a modest uptick in the cheaper seats but nothing that warrants a move to downtown LA or anything like.

Ultimately, what does attendance mean (other than for Sounders fans of course where this is a constant source of unCupped pride)? Well it provides money and what is that money used for? Signing better players to win Cups? Like David Beckham? Robbie Keane? 2 straight Cups? I don't think we're missing out much at the HDC, SHC or whatever else it will be called regardless of our noisy neighbors or Carson location.

My two cents.

The Cadaver, Topper and Hachiko repped this.
  24. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah. We appeal more to fans of the sport of soccer. The word on the street though, is that SoCal's underground masochist fetish clubs have lost some customers in the last eight years.

25. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Chivas never came to Carson and went to another part of LA I am certain both teams would have more fans. We are the city of a thousand suburbs so why the hell aren't we capitalizing on that? If Chivas were up north then plenty of people would support them just because they are in their neighborhood. Assuming the team wasn't joke though. Part of the success would have to be Chivas rebranding themselves away from this mexican crap and just being an LA team. LA City would be a pretty cool theme and they could use the LA shield thats on the back of their kits now as their badge. Never will happen tho