News: New Name for the Home Depot Center

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by profiled, Jan 24, 2013.

1. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
  2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Just call it The Hub.

3. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this one:

"Home Depot Center is also home to Chivas USA. As a result, StubHub now forges a direct connection to the thousands of Spanish-speaking soccer fans attending Chivas home games.

“They don’t get the prime dates, but their audience is as loyal as anyone,” Lencheski said."

My guess is the interview took place BEFORE the Saturday game. How are you going to resell tickets when CDCUSA is giving away 2700 seats for their opener??? Who would be dumb enough to actually pay for a ticket? ....I take it back. They ARE Chivas fans.

4. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    StubHub is more lame than Home Depot Center.

I still refer to it as Galaxy Stadium, so people know where I'm talking about.

Here on BS, "Victoria Street" works better.

5. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    I hope partnering with StubHub accelerates the adoption of using your phone as a ticket. Love that feature at the movies.

Schadenfruede being one of hobbies I took a gander at the Chivas game day thread, which fair play there’s a lot of self-critique going on, but there also mention of our 20,500 being an “embarrassment”.

6. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To us?

Or to them?

7. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/04/home-depot-center-will-soon-be-the-stubhub-center/

If your facility sponsor is Stub Hub, aren't you encouraging people to buy resold tickets rather than buy tickets directly from the club? Doesn't that dampen ticket sales? You would think this will lead to the Galaxy doing some innovative demand-driven ticket pricing, where the club sells single game tickets on the morning of games directly on stub hub for some kind of discount.

8. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't like the name, but of course, no one asked me. Think it's a step down from the Home Depot Center. Could have been worse, though. We really do need our own consistent name for it so we don't have to keep changing with the sponsor. I know people like Victoria Street and things like that, but not of them are common enough for all fans to know what it means. So I guess we're stuck with the Stubb Center. I wonder how many bad puns that is going to make for when teams come in and lose.

9. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Looks like the StubHub model charges 10% to buyers and 15% to sellers of tickets. I think you’re idea of demand driven ticket sales is spot-on, with StubHub reducing or perhaps waiving the seller fee altogether.

It’s also possible StubHub becomes the defacto Galaxy ticket sale vendor. AEG just spent a good chunk of change ditching TicketMaster for their own proprietary solution, so I don’t see it happening in the near future, nor does StubHub have the capacity to be a first-party ticket vendor at the moment. That potential has to be on both partners mind though.

10. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this just in.................
    SAN FRANCISCO and CARSON, CALIF. (March 4, 2013) – StubHub, the world’s largest ticket marketplace, entered into an agreement with AEG in which the San Francisco-based company will become the new naming rights partner of The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. on the campus of California State University, Dominguez Hills. Effective June 1, 2013, the 125-acre multi-sport facility will become ‘StubHub Center,’ which represents the first-ever naming rights partnership for the ticketing company and leading consumer brand.

11. Che chico!

Che chico! Member

Dec 21, 2004
    West LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    more news..........

As part of a global partnership between AEG and StubHub parent company eBay, announced in November of 2012, StubHub will take an active role in the re-birth of the 10-year old facility that is home to Major League Soccer’s LA Galaxy and Chivas USA. StubHub Center will remain an Official U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Training Site and the training center for the United States Soccer Federation, the United States Tennis Association and USA Cycling.

Focusing on its commitments to customer service and the fan experience, StubHub Center will introduce several fan friendly elements to the 125-acre multi-sport venue that includes a 27,000-seat soccer stadium, 8,000-seat tennis stadium, 2,450-seat indoor velodrome and 2,000-seat track and field facility.

“We welcome this new and exciting partnership with StubHub, an organization that, like us, emphasizes the highest level of customer services and fan experiences,” said Katie Pandolfo, General Manager of the AEG Facilities’ managed venue that will transition to StubHub Center this June. “We look forward to working with StubHub to design new programs and activation elements that will provide an even higher level of fan engagement and experience.”

Starting in early June, the facility will be transformed into StubHub Center and will be officially re-launched at the June 19 MLS matchup when the LA Galaxy host the Portland Timbers

12. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we can put the lock on this one.

13. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    I've done numerous online sales transactions, and StubHub was the source of my worst ordeal ever. The buyer used my tickets (I even got proof from the venue that they used them) but a few days after the event (and after StubHub sent my payment check) they complained to StubHub that the tickets weren't valid and got a refund at my expense, which was charged to my credit card. After spending months trying to resolve the situation with StubHub, who refused to accept my evidence and even made the refund in violation of their own terms and stipulations, I finally challenged StubHub 's charges with my credit card company. I sent my credit card company more than 25 pages of supporting documents - StubHub sent a measley paragraph that didn't make sense to support their side. Fortunately my credit card company cancelled the StubHub charges, but the hassle was barely worth the effort.

StubHub is basically corporate slime and parasites of the worst variety. I hope that AEG milks them for a lot of money, but I fear that the outcome will be the opposite.

14. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No locking until we're done bitching about the name.

And as the famous John Paul Henry Maximus once said, "I have not yet begun to bitch!"

Anyone know how long the deal is? Is it another 10 year stint or something shorter?

15. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how about MLS CUP stadium

16. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOW we can close the thread.

Hachiko, The Cadaver and LA_YANK_10 repped this.
  17. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ughhhh.....Victoria Street it is then...

Topper repped this.
  18. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least it's better than DICK'S.

Then again, without viagara, it might be a stub hub!

(ba DUMp TSSH!)

Thank you, be here all weak! Don't forget to tip your waitress... over!

tm
    lars

Topper, gveli001, barroldinho and 2 others repped this.
  19. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    Yeah, this. Done and done. The paragraph fan friendly improvements is interesting, but i'm not going to hold my breath on anything we actually care about.

20. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    [​IMG]

21. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Hub must not be confused with this Hub...
    [​IMG]
    That's the Home Used by Bronies, and is different from the Hub where legends in sport are made.

22. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, "Hub" is a well recognized nickname for .....BOSTON. Look at the center symbol on the Bruins jersey.

23. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about we combine the new sponsor, the street upon which it is located, and our everlasting fondness for our most famous British DP, and call it Victoria's Stub?

24. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As for as I'm concerned, for $10,000,000 a year, they can call it what they want.

25. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez...I wonder if the mods will ever put a lock to this one...:laugh: