New MLS Labor Agreement: Includes Team WIN Bonuses

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Northside Rovers, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS announces to first-ever labor agreement

I saw the press release announcing the players ratifying the labor agreement, but I hadn't heard about this clause:

That subject has been bandied about quite a bit here.

It says increase. I was not aware there was a WIN bonus before.

The salary increase is nice to see to. I haven't seen a team cap number mentioned though.

2. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I'm guessing the cap # isn't set in stone in the CBA. Various reports have it at 1.8 from 1.7 for 2005.

3. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I liked the team bonus... whether new or know - I don't know?

However, it is a small amount - but at least it is a move in the right direction. Conceptually, that's what they need to focus on....

One thing I have realized though is what an effect the Salt Lake media is having on the team... because RSL is getting so much attention, it seems the players really want to "impress" the local community. Ellinger has eluded to it, the willingness of players to do extra fitness training and such to improve their chances.

The good news is that I think MLS is on the right track - sure, they make mistakes, but they also do a lot of good things and they appear to be learning.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason, I thought the previously-mentioned lenient policy towards "recreational drugs" was going to be mentioned here.

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    one of the reports did say, though, that there was now a minimum. $1.4M, I believe.

Also, the win bonus adds up for guys on the low end of the scale. If they're paying out by who played, and you played on 15 wins, that's over $3k for the year. A nice bonus.

6. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    I believe the 2,750 is per team - so if you figure 15 guys per team - 15 wins per year - they pocket an extra $2,750 in a good year

7. Jonny Bishop

Jonny Bishop Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really happy to see the bonus system being used/getting more emphasis in MLS. Slightly off-topic, what is the minimum salary in MLS at this point?

8. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, I was gonna bring it up, but I'm stoned and forgot.

9. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Do we call that the Jamar Beasley rule?

10. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    $28,000 and then at the end of the 5 years, it goes up to $32,000

11. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Wow.

12. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I'm just saying. I heard some mls rumors that he smoked his way out of the league. But, just talk, who knows.

13. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there was a newspaper piece on jamal recently about his play in indoor soccer and for the usa futsal team where he pretty much admitted to blowing away his mls career with drug use and a bad attitude. young and dumb. we've all done it at one point or another, but its sad to see someone with so much potential just piss it away. i know he looks at damarcus now and probably wants to kick himself in the ass...