New League - Player pool

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by WPS_Movement, Nov 26, 2012.

1. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I dont know...I havent received my league guidelines and budgeting packet yet.

TsovLoj repped this.
  2. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'd like to see players like Marian Dalmy, Brittany Klein, Nikki Krzysik, Tiffany Weimer, Carrie Dew, Brittany Bock, come back and play in the new league.

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Weimer has tweeted about it a ton, so she wants to be in this league.
    Dew and Bock will probably be in it.
    Haven't heard anything about Dalmy, Klein, or Krzysik.
    For now, I excluded those three from the rosters below.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Please note, some rosters have more than 20 players below.
    That's because not every single rookie drafted will make each roster.

Seattle
    F - Alex Morgan (USA)
    F- Veronica Perez (Mexico)
    F - Sarah Gregorius (international)
    F - Brandi Vega (undrafted rookie free agent)
    F/D - Kiersten Dallstream
    MF - Brittany Tymrak
    MF - Keelin Winters
    MF - Lyndsey Patterson
    MF - Liliana Mercado (Mexico)
    MF - Jessica Ringwood
    MF - Desiree Scott (Canada)
    MF - Kate Deines
    D - Rachel Quon
    D - Carmelino Moscato (Canada)
    D - Stephanie Cox (USA)
    D - Tina Ellertson
    D - Ria Percival (international)
    D - Tiana Brockway
    GK - Hope Solo (USA)
    GK - Jenny Bindon

Seattle signs Ellertson, who is originally from the northwest.
    Ellertson plays in front of Solo again (like she did in St. Louis).
    This team is a serious title contender.

Pre-Season Prediction: 11 wins, 6 losses, 5 draws (38 points)
    Crowd Meter - "9.5"
    This crowd will be juiced over this team.
    Mega star power, talent, and speed. Exciting team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Portland
    F - Christine Sinclair (Canada)
    F - Danielle Foxhoven
    F - Lindsay Taylor
    F - Carlee Payne Holmoe
    MF/F - Megan Rapinoe (USA)
    MF - Sophie Schmidt (Canada)
    MF - Teresa Noyola (Mexico)
    MF - Amber Brooks
    MF - Angie Kerr
    MF - Mariah Nogueira
    MF - Chelsea Cline
    D/MF - Elli Reed
    D - Camille Levin
    D - Caitlin Foord (international)
    D - Alina Garciamendez (Mexico)
    D - Rachel Buehler (USA)
    D - Allison Falk
    D - Taylor Brooke (undrafted rookie free agent)
    GK - Nicole Barnhart (USA)
    GK - Bianca Henninger

Lots of former Portland Pilot legends.
    Portland will get a fortunate draw of subsidized players from each federation (since there are so many great players from USA, Canada, and Mexico that will put Portland down as their #1 or #2 choice). This might be the favorite to win it all. Probably the best midfield in the league. They will sign Caitlin Foord to tick off Seattle. Foord will be assigned to go wherever Morgan goes, when Portland locks up with Seattle. Baby Horse vs. Foord will be a classic match up in this rivalry between two of the best young players in the game at their respective position. Foord was a great player at age 16. She's now 18 and continuing to get better and better. Foord will be a defensive player of the year candidate in this league at some point, maybe even right away, but probably not until her 2nd year in the league.

Pre-Season Prediction: 11 wins, 5 losses, 6 draws (39 points)
    Crowd Meter - "10"
    It's Portland. When is the crowd meter never a 10?

Kansas City
    F - Amy Rodriguez (USA)
    F - Melissa Henderson
    F - Brittany Timko (Canada)
    F - Megan Jurado
    F/D - Merritt Mathias
    MF - Zakiya Bywaters
    MF - Kristin Cummins
    MF - Kylie Wright
    MF - Tina DiMartino
    MF - Juana Lopez (Mexico)
    MF - Shannon Boxx (USA)
    MF - Hayley Moorwood (international)
    MF/D - Manya Makoski
    D - Candace Chapman (Canada)
    D - Rubi Sandoval (Mexico)
    D - Heather Mitts (USA)
    D - Melinda Mercado
    D - Estelle Johnson
    D - Lindsi Cutshall
    GK - Val Henderson
    GK - Kelly Dyer

Based on this roster (on paper), Kansas City should have one of the better defenses in the league. Will they score enough goals is the question? And this is one of the oldest teams in the league (Timko, Lopez, Boxx, Chapman, and Mitts all have some wear and tear on them). The team also has some bright young prospects (Melissa Henderson, Jurado, Bywaters, Cummins, Mercado, Cutshall, etc), to join mid-age veterans Rodriguez, Sandoval, Johnson, Makoski, and Val Henderson. So it is a balanced blend between older, younger, and mid-aged players. This isn't the best U.S allocation trio in the league, however in terms of name-brand, all three are known (A-Rod, Boxx, Mitts). Strategic placement to get the crowd coming out. Boxx is well respected throughout the midwest.

Location wise, west of St. Louis - Athletica fans that travel to KC matches (and become KC fans) will love that Boxx is on this team. This is where they should place her. And an offensive threat needs to placed here. A-Rod can still score goals at the league level. She could still be a Top 5 goal scorer in this league (and certainly Top 10). And Mitts will be happy to be placed anywhere at this point. As long as she's part of the 24 subsidized. She's just livin' it up still in life. I like this team's balance, athough they'll probably finish somewhere in between 5th - 8th place in the first year, and possibly in the cellar.

Pre-Season Prediction: 5 wins, 13 losses, 4 draws (19 points)
    Crowd Meter - "8.5"
    They're not gonna get the best allocations from USA, Canada, or Mexico (Sandoval is a nice player though, and Chapman is one of Canada's best). Not too many local legends in the dead middle of the country geographically. It'll still be a balanced and competitive team immediately. Former Big 12 players will fill about 1/3 of the roster.

Chicago
    F/MF - Lauren Cheney (USA)
    F/MF - Lindsay Tarpley
    F - Maribel Dominguez (Mexico)
    F - Ella Masar
    F - Colleen Williams
    MF - Stephany Mayor (Mexico)
    MF - Jessica Price
    MF - Heather Garriock (international)
    MF - Ally Miller
    MF - Jennifer Buczkowski
    MF - Lori Chalupny
    MF- Julianne Sitch
    D - Bry McCarthy
    D - Elise Weber
    D - Lauren Fowlkes
    D - Robyn Gayle (Canada)
    D - Emily Zurrer (Canada)
    D - Amy LePielbet (USA)
    D - Natalie Spilger
    GK - Jill Loyden (USA)
    GK - Allison Whitworth

Lots of former Notre Dame and Chicago Red Stars on this roster. Cheney is versatile enough to play up top, or in the midfield. Jessica Price as well. She brings great speed, which they'll need on the attack. Dominguez is not as good as she used to be, but can still be very effective. Ella Masar and Collen Williams are technicians at goal scoring. Not the most speedy players, but they get the job done with their skill and prowess. You can say the same for the veteran Tarpley.

Overall when you look at this team, they're a tough physical team with a sprinkle of speed mixed in. More physical than speedy overall. A contender to get to the playoffs in 2013, but not a favorite to get to the title match.

Pre-Season Prediction: 8 wins, 9 losses, 5 draws (29 points)
    Crowd Meter - "9"
    This team will love their local heroes, and especially the ones that played for Chicago in WPS that are back yet again.

Western New York
    F - Abby Wambach (USA)
    F - Veronica Boquete (international)
    F - Stephanie Ochs
    F - Christina Julien (Canada)
    F - Victoria DiMartino
    MF - Emily Van Egmond (international)
    MF - Meghan Klingenberg (USA)
    MF - McCall Zerboni
    MF - Katy Frierson
    MF - Holly King
    MF - Nayeli Rangel (Mexico)
    MF - Christine Nairn
    MF - Becky Edwards
    D - Ali Riley
    D - Brittany Bock
    D - Brittany Taylor
    D - Toni Pressley
    D - Natalie Vinti (Mexico)
    D - Chelsea Stewart (Canada)
    D - Alex Sahlen (intern, assistant, emergency reserve player)
    GK - Ashlyn Harris (USA)
    GK - Alli Lipsher

Pre-Season Prediction: 12 wins, 4 losses, 6 draws (42 points)
    Crowd Meter - "10"
    Western New York fans will be ecstatic with Wambach finally here.
    The attendance and fan support will be off the hook. That's the kind of pull Wambach has here.
    To make things better, Sahlen will open up his pocketbook and sign "Vero" Boquete, a legitimate player of the year candidate in this league immediately, but won't be here until after the season is already started. Let's not forget, Boquete has won a championshp before with the Flash in 2010 (before they were officially in WPS).

This team will have a lot of offensive firepower, but their defense will be just as good.
    Sahlen puts together a good defensive nucleus of Edwards, Riley, Bock, and Taylor, during free agent signings. The league will anticipate Sahlen being able to pay more money for better free agents, hence the allocations won't be the best in the league here, outside of Wambach's allocation of course (which is a big enough splash). Ashlyn Harris is a serious contender for goalkeeper of the year here. Alex Sahlen will not take up a roster spot, but will be on the team in creative fashion (through ownership's creative desire). It's time for Wambach to come back to her original home, and finish her career here.

Boston Breakers
    F - Sydney Leroux (USA)
    F - Kyah Simon (international)
    F - Tishia Jewell
    F - Jess Luscinski
    F/MF - Kristen Mewis
    MF - Heather O'Reilly (USA)
    MF - Amanda DaCosta
    MF - Bri Rodriguez
    MF - Diana Matheson (Canada)
    MF - Dinora Garza (Mexico)
    MF - Leslie Osborne
    MF - Tameka Butt (international)
    D - Kelley O'hara (USA)
    D - Ines Jaurena
    D - Lauren Sesselmann (Canada)
    D - Luz Del Rosario Saucedo (Mexico)
    D - Nikki Marshall
    D - Cat Whitehill
    D - Taryn Hemmings
    GK - Jillian Mastroianni
    GK - Alyssa Naeher

Pre-Season Prediction: 9 wins, 8 losses, 5 draws (32 points)
    Crowd Meter - "9.5"

The Riptide will be back in full force.
    There's no Kelly Smith, Alex Scott, or Kristine Lilly here.
    The fans will love Leroux though. And Simon. And of course Mewis. And they'll always appreciate O'Reilly's work rate. Plenty of firepower here. Lots of speed and skill up top. Plenty of playmakers in the midfield to get them the ball as well. And a good enough defense, with adequate goalkeeping. You would think this team would have a better record to show than 9 wins, 8 losses, and 5 draws. We've learned in the past that the Breakers underachieve in the standings, compared to their talent level.

Washington (DC) Spirit
    F - Monica Ocampo (Mexico)
    F - Lianne Sanderson
    F - Caroline Miller
    F - Lisa De Vanna (international)
    F/D - Tiffany Cameron
    MF - Aya Miyama (international)
    MF - Sinead Farrelly
    MF - Sarah Huffman
    MF - Lori Lindsey (USA)
    MF - Kaylyn Kyle (Canada)
    MF - Beverly Goebel
    MF - Joanna Lohman
    MF/D - Carolyn Blank
    D - Ali Krieger (USA)
    D - Becky Sauerbrunn (USA)
    D - Kia McNeill
    D - Kat Williamson
    D - Domenica Hodak
    GK - Erin McCleod (Canada)
    GK - Erika Venegas (Mexico)

Pre-Season Prediction: 6 wins, 10 losses, 6 draws (24 points)
    Crowd Meter - "8.5"

Freedom fans will transition to become Spirit fans, and the enthusiasm won't lose a beat.
    It'll be an exciting team. However, some of the other teams in the league will just be too good (Western NY, Portland, Seattle, etc).

Sky Blue FC
    F - Casey Nogueira
    F - Tiffany McCarty
    F - Samantha Kerr (international)
    F - Laura Kalmari (international)
    F - Tiffany Weimer
    F/MF - Kelly Parker (Canada)
    MF - Tobin Heath (USA)
    MF - Carli Lloyd (USA)
    MF - Allie Long
    MF - Bianca D'Agostino
    MF - Guadalupe Worbis (Mexico)
    MF - Meghan Schnur
    MF/D - Kendall Fletcher
    D - Casey Short
    D - Keeley Dowling
    D - Leign Ann Robinson
    D - Christie Rampone (USA)
    D - Kenti Robles (Mexico)
    D - Carrie Dew
    GK - Adrianna Franch
    GK - Karina LeBlanc (Canada)

Pre-Season Prediction: 6 wins, 13 losses, 3 draws (21 points)
    Crowd Meter - "7.5"

Sky Blue will be at or near the bottom of this league in total overall fan support.
    They'll still have enough support to keep going though. They're the one franchise out of the eight in this league that I question in terms of putting butts in seats. Their record won't be very good in 2013. It won't be a magical season like it was in 2009. They'll battle and be in a lot of close and low scoring games as usual. They just won't pull them out like they did in 2009.

6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    My only problem with ur list is u have four GK in the US allocation. I really cant see them paying four players when only one actually plays. Also, as of Dec 30, 2012 at 11 pm, Christen Press is still not signed.

7. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I'm not sure the four GK thing is unrealistic. They'll be looking for their replacement Solo and not sure where to find her. Why not have them all compete and see who blossoms?

I do think we'll see Press in the league, more likely than not.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well in that case I dont mind Harris but cant really see Barny or Loyden as the successor. Solo and Barnhart r both 31 while Loyden and Harris r both 27. If I were thinking down the road I might stagger the ages of three goalie Solo 31 - Harris 27 - Franch 21. Course goalie tend to play longer than most positions so as long as Solo avoids injury Im willing to keep groom the next big thing until the next big thing is needed. Still paying four goalies is bourgeois. :)

9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Would love to see Press in this league. She might prefer to sign as a free agent with someone out west. Portland or Seattle.

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Speaking of allocations, I am hearing the decisions have been made.
    They will be revealed anytime now.
    But then again, it has to be revealed before the draft.
    So it doesn't surprise us that they made the decisions by now.
    I wonder how many of the star players know where they're going to yet (Wambach in particular).
    Have they been informed? I would think all the players will be informed on the same day.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    My theory.

If she plays in this league it will be as an allocated player. I dont see her signing here for chipmunk feed when she can get a lot more in Europe. A top slot in the 24 wouldnt be as much as she could make in Europe but it would be close and get her a fair shot in the USWNT. If they dont rate her as worth paying in the 24 then she has to ask herself why she turned down Goteborg because they wouldnt let her attend the WNT camps. Tyreso prolly wont either but she may make 5 times as much as a free agent would get here. Someone is gonna realize she''s the real deal and pay here. Hopefully it's USSoccer.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think the only reason we havent heard is the holidays. When ur trying start a league u want a constant stream of announcements so u stay on the mind of ur fan base. Generally, holidays r dead zones for announcements tho. Hopefully something by next weekend.

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    If I had to predict, the announcement will be made on Thursday, Jan. 3.
    That gives about "two weeks" for franchises to prepare for the draft, in terms of their "needs" to start filling on their roster.

14. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Yeah, I'd expect a blitz of posts before two weeks are up.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    They really need to tell the teams...how do they prepare for the draft with no hard information? Once the teams find out it will leak or be released to beat a leak.

16. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I would guess the announcements have already been made to the franchises, and probably even the players by now. They probably are allowing for a 7-day grace period, for any player or franchise to appeal, before they announce the final allocations to the public. And just because there might be at least one appeal, doesn't mean the league has to grant it.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Maybe Rapinoe is removing a letter from a kangaroo pouch as we speak.

18. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I agree. People probably know shit, they're just staying quiet. Maybe that means they just haven't told Solo anything.

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I think it would be funny if they allocated Solo to Boston.
    She would be their whipping girl, until she wins the first game for them single-handedly (or I should say "Solo-handedly").

20. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Still no announcement of the allocated Canadian players yet but the roster for the Yongchuan Cup will be released tomorrow (Jan. 4) and that should give a good idea of who Herdman will choose.

21. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A press release from Sky Blue about the draft (I don't know the date and if anything new in it).

http://www.skybluefc.com/home/684713.html

"Players who completed their collegiate eligibility in 2012 can be selected in the 2013 NWSL College Draft. Those players who have been out of college for a year or more, are former professional players, or are currently playing overseas and are out of contract, are considered free agents. Teams will be allowed to sign free agents during a specific window of time, which will be determined soon. The U.S., Canadian and Mexican National Team players will be allocated to clubs at a date to be determined."

Also includes: "U.S. Soccer will subsidize the salaries of up to 24 U.S. Women’s National Team players while the Canadian Soccer Association will do the same for up to 16 Canadian players and the Federation of Mexican Football will do the same for up to 16 Mexican players."

22. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Press has officially announced on Twitter she is going to play for Tyresö.

23. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    It makes you wonder if she waited until she found out if she was on the allocation list. If she wasn't then she could take the best offer of playing for Tyreso. Not sure if not being on the allocation list would be more motive to stay in the USA for NWSL play to get more notice or not. Of course she probably had a chance to talk to coach Sermanni to find out if playing in Sweden would limit her chances.

24. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Good for her! I've always wondered how well she could play with Marta. Now, we'll get a chance to that.

Katreus repped this.
  25. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Not sure how I decide what NWSL team to follow now though :(