New League - Player pool

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by WPS_Movement, Nov 26, 2012.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this, except that I don't think her Portland house is a vacation house. It's near the Nike campus, and I'm guessing it's related to that.

2. Mimsy Borogoves

Sep 6, 2009
  3. Scout22

Scout22 New Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Don't see Wambach wanting to go to WNY. If she is going Portland or bust, call her bluff.

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    That's certainly an option.
    We know for sure she'll either be playing for DC, Western NY, or Portland.
    Anywhere else, and it would be the shock of the league, by far.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Welcome home Christen.

How about a Portland team of Marta, Sinclair, & Wombat (Pinoe, Abily, Seger, Edwards, & Riley)?
    And a Seattle team with Morgan, Press, and Leroux (Cheney & A-Rod as mids, O'hara, and Solo)?
    I'm starting to think we can maybe get Kelly Smith, Alex Scott, Sonia Bompastor, Ali Riley, Marta, Caroline Seger, and Camille Abily, back to this league, if the dominoes fall right. Although, part of me doesn't want Marta back, unless she's on a team that isn't virtually guaranteed to win it all.

6. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a Euro year? I find it... very unlikely. Not to mention, some of those players are on better teams with plenty of compensation and playing at the highest level. I don't think they come at all.

7. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    The only one of that list that I could see staying in the States would be Riley. I honestly don't think she will either.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

This.

She has leveraged off some pretty amazing players in the past.

I think it would be interesting if some teams concentrated on nationalities. If one team had 3 or 4 Canadians, another had 3 or 4 French players, another had Japanese players.....

That would be fun.

9. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I'm down with that idea.
    They could have an Australian type team.
    New Zealand type team.
    Brazil type team.
    Japan type of team.

10. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Yeah, I suspect we're more likely to see internationals that don't have so many options at home, and don't have that kind of name recognition. Hence me putting Tsung Shu-O on my lil fantasy futbol list, to just pull a name out of thin air. Does Taiwan even have a league?

11. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    As a Cali girl, I think she might get shunted from the Pac NW in favor of native daughters and end up somewhere stranger, like KC or Chitown.

12. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is big for the league. I think it also shows how badly Press wants to make the full team.

13. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Especially when you consider the only reported hold up in signing a contract with Goteborg was that she wanted to be released for USWNT camps that were not on the FIFA calendar.

14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    2013 ChickFoot Award Watch List

Welcome to the preseason award candidate list, for the new league.
    These awards are not known as the Grammy Awards. Or the Espy Awards.
    They're known as the ChickFoot Awards. And no, they are not sponsored by Chick-fil-A.

The ChickFoot awards are all the various awards in the new league, given to the top player for each award category. The only exception is the ChickGlove award, which goes to the top goalkeeper.

Let's take a look at the possible candidates for each award, in the new league (in 2013).

ChickFoot Hamm-Milbrett Award (best offensive player of the year in the league)
    Alex Morgan
    Abby Wambach
    Christine Sinclair
    Christen Press
    Sydney Leroux

*And the preseason ChickFoot Hamm-Milbrett goes to: Alex Morgan (prediction)

ChickFoot Overbeck-Chastain Award (best defensive player of the year)
    Aly Riley
    Whitney Engen
    Allison Falk
    Christie Rampone
    Becky Sauerbrunn

ChickFoot Prinz-Marta Award (League MVP overall)
    Christine Sinclair
    Abby Wambach
    Alex Morgan
    Shannon Boxx
    Hope Solo

ChickFoot Pichon-Smith Award (International of the year) (honoring Kelly Smith and Pichon)
    Christine Sinclair
    Candace Chapman
    Veronica Perez
    Kyah Simon
    Veronica Boquete (Vero)

ChickFoot Baby-Bach Award (Rookie of the Year) (after Wambach 2002, Baby Horse 2011)
    Caroline Miller
    Kristie Mewis
    Christine Nairn
    Erika Tymrak
    Adrianna Franch

ChickGlove Scurry-Mullinix Award (best goalkeeper of the year)
    Hope Solo
    Ashlyn Harris
    Erin McCleod
    Erika Venegas
    Adrianna Franch

ChickFoot Akers-Fawcett Award (Most inspirational player of the year)
    preseason award watch list coming soon

ChickFoot Lilly-Sissi Award (best aged veteran of the year, must be 35 or older to qualify)
    preseason award watch list coming soon (Boxx and Rampone are the favorites going in)

ChickFoot Rampone-Foudy Award (best leader/captain of the year)

ChickFoot SunWen-Sawa Award (best Asian player of the year in the league)

These former & current players have awards named after them:
    Mia Hamm
    Tiffeny Milbrett
    Carla Overbeck
    Brandi Chastain
    Birgit Prinz
    Marta
    Pichon
    Kelly Smith
    Alex Morgan
    Abby Wambach
    Briana Scurry
    Siri Mullinix
    Michelle Akers
    Joy Fawcett
    Kristine Lilly
    Sissi
    Christie Rampone
    Julie Foudy
    Sun Wen (China)
    Homare Sawa (Japan)

15. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
  16. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much as I'd like to see it, I don't think Sonia's coming back. She had decided to return to France right after the 2010 season - even before the Borislow fiasco - and I don't see what would motivate her to return. And she'll be 33 next year - not sure how much longer she'll be playing, period.

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't see the logic of the league having any international players other than those from the US, Mexico, and Canada. Why would those three countries' feds put up their money to pay their national team players to play in the league and then allow the teams' owners to use their money to pay other countries' players? Effectively, the three feds would be subsidizing the other countries' players. It doesn't make sense.

What makes more sense is that the league will be for the three sets of national team players, plus players coming up through the ranks at the U-23 level and also at the U-20 level if they decide to leave school early. This also would be better from a fan base perspective. A few people know the internationals and will be fans because of them, but only a very few. Far more people know the college players and will be fans because of them.

fhrocks2005 repped this.
  18. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    It is in the best interest of the Feds to have the best quality of play that the league can sustain. They are trying to develop the best senior players that they can. That means having the correct amount of younger players to learn from current senior players and pros. It also means having a high level of skill and competition in the league. If select foreign players (and coaches) can bring different styles and skills to the league it will help with development.

CoachJon repped this.
  19. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really good article about Engen's move to Liverpool. Complete with quotes from Lines and Dorrance lobbying for Engen's inclusion to the full WNT and Sermanni on his opinion of players playing oversees.

Sounds like she definitely won't be in the league for 2013 but who knows beyond that.

20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    F A. Morgan US
    F C. Press US
    F M. Henderson
    MF HAO US
    MF D. Scott Can
    MF D. Matheson Can
    MF T. Noyola MX
    MF B. Goebel
    MF K. Mewis
    MF A. Brooks
    D A. Garciamendez MX
    D A. Riley
    D A. Scott
    D S. Bompastor
    D C. Foord
    D L. Cutshall
    GK Ashlyn Harris
    GK Henninger

21. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    >Press
    >HAO
    >Morgan

Why can't I hold all this speed up front? I could see this side having a real blitz-ish style of attack more than patient tiki taka kind of stuff.

D is good too (Riley, Bompastor). GKs are still nobodies though, so I hope Harris is up to the challenge. Good picks!

22. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait. What? Nobodies? Henninger is highly regarded and was at one time listed as a possible successor to Solo. She's the 2010 U20 golden glove winner and a GK for the U23s. The only reason she's been less talked about now is because no one knows where she is / what she's doing right now.

23. NWSL_Development

NWSL_Development Red Card

Dec 15, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henninger will be a Top 5 goalkeeper in this league, if she's still in shape.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    And I can afford to pay her...Big name goalie r expensive :)

25. NWSL_Development

NWSL_Development Red Card

Dec 15, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you propose to pay her?