New League - Player pool

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by WPS_Movement, Nov 26, 2012.

1. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WPS_movement just listed almost everyone ("leftovers") who ever played in the WPS.

Jenni Branam retired after '11 to go to school
    Lindsay Tarpley lives in LA with husband and 5 month old baby

Maggie Tomecka doing her medical residency

Christie Welsh ?
    Kerri Hanks ? could not make it the first time
    Tasha Kai ? what is she doing ? singing back up to her father?

Heather Mitts- if she is not on the WNT, why would she play? because A.J. is not?

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    That's correct, the list included pretty much everyone that was in WPS, or everyone in WPS for an extended period of time in 2010-2011. There is always a 1% chance that any and all could be back at some point in a new league. That's why I listed them all, plus it's not like I know about all these players personal lives to know what they're doing now. Had no idea that Maggie Tomecka was doing her medical residency. Had no idea Tarpley just had a baby. And so on.

3. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    I think so to, but not until 2014 since she is under contract with Malmö until the end of the Swedish 2013 seasson.

4. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Press is still very unsure on where she will decide to play in 2013, she want to play in both USWNT, UEFA Cahmpions Leauge, Göteborg and the new US League and have a problem chosing between the last two.
    http://footballschristenpress.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/36-big-mountains-small-world.html

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

She is lost to any of the three confederation that are helping to bankroll this league. They won't bankroll her, nor probably will she get the type of salary an international could command in times past. From what I've read, this is going to be an operation on a shoestring, possibly to the point on players playing more or less semi-pro or subsistence. I think if you don't have a residency deal with one of the FA's, you might have better opportunities elsewhere.

Will The Kiwi's pay her way in the league?

6. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For reasons passing understanding, Chalupny is cleared to play at the club level but not at the WNT level. As noted, she played for Chicago last year and (as I recall) for Atlanta's WPS team the year before.

7. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to be a bit more optimistic. I just can't believe that EVERY player not funded by the federations is going to be paid peanuts/semi-pro wages. Ali Riley is a star. She's one of a handful of impact players on the backline.

I don't think we'll see Marta at Marta-in-the-WPS like salaries. We may not see Marta at all. But I'm hopeful about players like Ali Riley.

8. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did US soccer ever say why she did not come back or did she just stopped being on the team, amid comments by her and others?

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

The USWNT said their doctor(s) didn't clear her to play.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...0/20/AR2010102005825.html?sid=ST2010102100040

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Zero chance we will see Marta except perhaps in some all star us-against-the -world contest. Her salary bankrupted the three champion teams she was on.

And I don't think any foreign players will feature prominently unless they have outside salaries to bankroll them. And Riley is a foreign player.

11. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Marta's salary might have bankrupted a league and 2 teams, but it clearly did not bankrupt WNY Flash. They were commited to play in 2012 for WPS. They played in WPSL-Elite last year and paid to be the league wide sponsor just as they were in WPS.

There will be players in this new league that are not US/CAN/Mex WNT players. Some of them will be normal players with decent salaries. People are overestimating what players make in most of the leagues around the world. We aren't talking $50-100k in those leagues, unless you play for Lyon or your name is Marta. If this league was strictly $5k or no pay for any players besides NTers, what would be the point. The quality of play would be exactly the same as WPSL/W-League only it would cost USSF more money to have it's players play in it. With the Feds paying the big salaries the costs go down. If the teams also no longer pay any salary to non-NTers then the only costs the teams have are travel, staff, and stadium. They will use the savings on NT salaries to cut their overall costs, but they will still spend some money on decent pro players.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Two things:

Marta was gone regardless. They couldn't afford her. She went to Sweden, doncha know.

They no longer exist as a WPS team. The whole disfunctional league went belly up.

13. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    How does this differ from what I said? It doesn't.

It definitely differs from what you said before.

The league failed. The WNY did not go bankrupt, and would not have if WPS had not failed. The team as a company did not close and reform, it merely moved leagues just as it did going from W-League to WPS, and will again this year going from WPSL-Elite to TLTSNBN.

As for Marta, she is completely tertiary to the conversation. Nobody could afford her old WPS salary, and she did go to Sweden. They didn't pay her old salary in Sweden, not even close. I don't think WNY Flash or anyone else will try to compete for her to come back to the new league. She is happier in Sweden and will take less money to play there. And nothing about Marta makes a bit of difference over whether a team in the new league will pay Ali Riley a decent salary, potentially competitive with what she could get from Malmo in Sweden.

14. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Wrong on the third one. The Flash willingly took over the final year of Marta's WPS contract, it didn't bankrupt them.

15. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    The league went out of business, not the franchise. The owner of the Flash can afford a lot more than you can even begin to fathom, trust me. Re-signing her for the same terms as her old contract would have made no logical business sense, and yes, there was a very strong chance she wouldn't have returned had the WPS stayed in business. However, stating "they couldn't afford her" is completely untrue.

16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Most of the WPS contract with Marta was paid for by Puma.

Brasil has a contract with Nike.

I think Malmo has a contract with Adidas.

The new league, whatever it is called, has a contract with Nike.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

We'll see.

I'm pretty sure the new league sees Marta as a luxury they can't afford until they are a stable league, financially.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Well, we don't know that. Most of her salary was paid for by Puma. the Sahlen family did not assume that when the league ended.

That's why she is now in Sweden.

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    One reason why I don't want Marta in this league, is because the team she is on will always be the best team (with or without her), so with her added to it, they become THAT MUCH MORE of a heavy favorite to win it all. Look, the 2010 and 2011 seasons were a joke. You knew FC Gold Pride was going to win it in 2010. And you knew Western NY was going to win it in 2011. The only reason why the Sol weren't guaranteed to win it in 2009, is because that team did have some non-strengths to worry about (although they arguably still had the best overall roster). They just weren't as stacked from top to bottom as the 2010 and 2011 Marta teams were in the league. That 2011 team especially was no joke (Marta, Sinclair, Baby Horse, Caroline Seger, Yael Averbuch, Becky Edwards, Ali Riley, Brittany Bock, Candace Chapman, Whitney Engen, Ashlyn Harris). Greatest women's pro soccer team ever (when not including all-star teams). And no other team is really close to that kind of talent (well, maybe the 2010 Gold Pride were, but still weren't as good as the 2011 Marta team).

The 2013 Marta team would look something like this in their level of raw talent, if she were in this league. She would prefer (and "demand") to play out west (2011 WPS didn't have a west team, so she had to settle for playing in the east). The southern most west coast type team in the new league in 2013 is Portland.

F - Marta, Wambach, Leroux, Foxhoven, Maurine (partial season)
    MF - Rapinoe, Caroline Seger, Becky Edwards, Sophie Schmidt, Keelin Winters, Camille Levin
    D - Ali Riley, Garciamendez, Rubi Sandoval, Candace Chapman, Stephanie Cox, Carrie Dew
    GK - Bianca Henninger, Karina LeBlanc (often seems to end up on the #1 rock star team)

Marta would demand to play with Portland (or Seattle, but Seattle is colder).
    Marta would land in Portland for the 2013 season.
    Wambach has probably already gotten the approval that she'll be on Portland's team (because she's Wambach). Rapinoe will probably be in Portland (because she's Rapinoe, and she'll make sure she gets her way). Caroline Seger wants to play together with Marta. Ali Riley will want to play with those two again, and would love to play out west. Becky Edwards will follow Riley. Somehow you see Schmidt and Winters playing for Portland (that seems destined). This is how the dominoes would fall, if Marta went to Portland. Leroux would then be talked into being that 3rd horse up top to join Marta and Wambach, to form a super frontline (since Baby Horse will be in Seattle, and you get the feeling Sinclair wouldn't be placed on the same team with Marta and Wambach already with Portland).

20. TsovLoj

TsovLoj Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I'm amazed everyone's so convinced that Wambach and not Sinclair is going to Portland. I really would bet on the reverse situation, with Wambach in WNY. They're hometown figures in each place, and the league's not going to want to shove all of its USWNT star power on to a small subset of teams. They're going to want to spread out those big name USWNT girls. The players are going to have some say where they play, sure, but unless Wambach's prepared to walk out if she doesn't get Portland, I don't see her dictating it. It's probably just a vacation house for her or something anyways.

21. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    And she played for AIK in damallsvenskan in Sweden for the second part of the 2012 seasson (that ended a month ago) in a desperate and ultimatly failed attempt to aviod relegation.

Seems all Doctors except the USWNT's clears her for play.

22. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes, Riley is an american (well mainly anyway) and will take a reasonble pay cut to play in the US. Marta prefer Sweden and would demand a bit more than she gets now to play in the US (but would probably be prepared to take a rather big cut to play in Brazil should they get a good league). That makes quite a bit of difference.
    And Martha did hint in an interview that it was time for her to start to plan for her after-soccer life so she probably wan't to stay put for five years so she will be eligable for a more usefull citzenship than the Brazilian one, and since US leagues don't tend to live for that long Sweden seems a safer bet.

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Since looks like everyone (herself included :giggle:) says that Riley is american at heart, how come she ended playing for New Zealand NT? Has she NZ parents? And anyway, could she have chosen to play for USWNT, if she had been called in the youth teams? She chose NZ instead because she hadn't a chance with USWNT or because, after all, she was preferring NZ for some reason?

By the way, thank you all for answers to my post and clarification. The only answer I didn't get was about Kate Markgraf, but I guess it's because the fact that she retired was quite obvious? What was her last season? Was she included in the list just because she had anyway played in the WPS era?

24. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes, both I think. Not completly sure if her mother is a Kiwi or not but I think so and her father sure is.
    Well she have and had dual citizenship so she could have chosen any of them for quite a while. But if I understand it she had a good but not remarkably run as a forward (good enough for the NZ but not for the US) until she switched to defense in College and in that role she turned out to be world class. But when she did that she had alredy played so much for the NZ youth WNTs that she feel at home in that WNT enviroment and she was pretty much guranteed a spot there for as long as she plays while she would probably have fight for a spot in the USWNT (and most likely have missed one our two major Championships before she got in) .
    So as I understand it she started in NZ since she hadn't a chance to make it in the USWNT as a forward and when she turend to defender and had a chance she alreday identifed herself soccer-wise as a kiwi and didn't want to change. In all other regards she seems to consider herself more American than New-Zeelandic.

blissett repped this.
  25. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why doesn't anyone consider that Wambach might come right back to DC, where she played every year that was an option since she became a professional?