New Goalkeeper for FC Dallas

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Peruco83, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I am sure this question has been answered somewhere but I just cant recall where.

Why did we have Richard Sanchez and Chris Seitz sitting behind Hartman if not to learn? Seitz sort of just fell into our laps as a backup to Hartman, and Sanchez was (as far as I could tell) the heir apparent to the starting position. They both seemed capable and it seems as though alot of time and some money has already been invested in their training. Add to that the fact that we should have a pretty solid and experienced back line for them to play behind and you have the perfect opportunity to play a young talent. Instead, we purchase another goalkeeper. This cant be a good thing for their psyche.

So I ask:
    Did Seitz and Sanchez do something I missed to show how incapable they were going to be as a starter for FCD?

2. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is FCD! Roster moves aren't based on performance!

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When have they ever trusted players from their youth ranks? Who knows about Seitz but Sanchez follows a pattern.

4. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Why? No body cut him did they? He is still drawing a salary? He is in the competition business and he now has some serious competition. If he can outperform the expensive guy, then he deserves to be the starter. To be honest, I think we need more competition in the roster. I think that the problem with many of the young academy guys, is that they don't seem to get that they are in a competitive business. ( I only say that based upon what I have read.)

5. rick100

rick100 Member+

Jun 4, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    what I find odd is a MLS club signing a foreign keeper when the americans are known for producing really good keepers. It would be like a mexican or southamerican team signing a playmaker from the united states to play for them. Unless its someone like ochoa , julio cesar or a big name like dida or in the other hand someone like donovan , it just does not make much sense , specially when fernandez have been a bench player in france for a long time. He has done pretty good for the peruvian national team even though many in peru still question his spot in the starting line up , specially when there are other keepers in much better form .

I wish the best to fernandez though , as a peruvian i think he has a good chance to secure a spot in the starting line up and help dallas , that is if he can stay away from the bloopers

6. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This place is nothing more than miserable kneejerking reactionaries. They could sign Messi and all you guys would complain about is how much money it cost.

VivaIslamico and profiled repped this.
  7. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only that, our coaches would play Messi off the bench! And really, can Messi really play in our league? :)

8. dallasrapidsfan

May 8, 2012
    Dallas
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just dont like him cause he's not Aliancista like us. If he played for La U he cant be that good, huh ??? :)

9. dallasrapidsfan

May 8, 2012
    Dallas
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fernado is a good, respectable guy who knows what he's doing. I doubt he cares much about the Rapids now. FYI, he played in the 94 World Cup win over Colombia. Just in case you didnt know........ I know him personally. He knows his job. Trust him......

10. dallasrapidsfan

May 8, 2012
    Dallas
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell him that to his face and he might kick your arse buddy !

11. rick100

rick100 Member+

Jun 4, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

haha , true I also dont like fernandez because of that ! But he is still peruvian so I like him more than I would like a keeper from another country.

I actually saw peru play against canada in toronto and fernandez played the whole game. I was not impressed at all , very shaky , and he does have butter hands! even the canadian commentators were saying how fernandez was doing poorly. Thankfully canada offensively sucks , so he wasnt fully tested.

He has done OK for the national team though overall , so I guess it is a matter of which fernandez shows up , the one from the national team or the one the stayed in the bench in france

As someone who follows MLS and If dallas was looking at the peruvian market ( where you can get players for cheap) ,I think there were much better options out there . I would ve love to see cachito ramirez play for dallas, very underated player.

12. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    I'm pretty sure Fernandez did NOT sign for anything close to $200K. Only because that makes no sense. Playing in MLS accomplishes several things for him: location (wife) , location (national team), and potential playing time… I'd be surprised if Dallas popped more than $125K for him, maybe less.

13. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    I think a lot of people do not know that the "F" in FCD stands for "Frugal" Club Dallas.

FCDfan repped this.
  14. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is that comment directed towards?

15. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe, but even you have to admit $200k for an international keeper is a bit much.

I can dig $125k.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That's what the last couple of international keepers have gotten: Gspurning with Seattle, Nielson with KC, etc. Most veteran keepers in the league make between 150 and 200k.

125k would be quite a bargain. (if he's good)

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess my question is what was wrong with Hartman. He seemed to be asking about that same amount so obviously FCD and MLS have decided he's not worth that anymore. Any ideas why?

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug.

Sometimes you have to choose another direction and go younger.

Hartman is soon-to-be 39.

It's possible the Peruvian keeper is cheaper, younger (well, that's more than possible. That's a reality), and a better investment.

Is he better? We'll just have to see..........................

It's telling that no other MLS club has come calling for Hartman either. Is he asking for too much money? Are clubs worried about something? Did they see a decline in Hartman's play that I didn't see? Sure, he looked a little bigger and slower than previous years. He's not as much "El Gato" as in previous times. But he was still a good MLS-caliber keeper.

19. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have posted below that I believed Hartman's departure was simply an issue of salary. After seeing the speculation on the cost of Fernandez, even after whittled down by the Hitman, I have reassesed the situation. Last season, too many goals were on Hartman. Time to move in a different direction.

-SD

20. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was time to move in a different direction, but I'd rather that direction have been toward Seitz. Schellas had essentially said flat-out that they were going to go out and buy a 'keeper, though, so this isn't surprising. Just another routine head-scratcher.

21. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Dr. Thompson would say, "routine. Indeed!"

22. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    $50k for a US keeper and use the $150k at a place that needs more attention.

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, FCD is usually in the upper half of the MLS salary standings, if not in the top third.

I joke you not. They were 10th in salary in 2012 -- right in the middle -- and I was a little surprised that they were that low.

24. jamezyjamez

jamezyjamez Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well said and my only real point of contention with the move. I guess there is the upside that he lights it up and attracts other clubs' attention (and a hefty fee).

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Oh.............I happen to agree with this. It's just that 150-200k is the "going rate" for this kind of keeper in the league.

Personally, I would have handed over the reigns to Seitz and Sanchez, and invested the money into another part of the field.

We also need to remember that Zach Loyd's contract is expiring, and I'd like to re-up with him ASAP.