New game idea, anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by Breitner'sWig, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Posted this on Beautiful Game forum but I guess it would appeal to people here too...
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/new-game-idea-anyone-interested.1992060/

Hi guys

I've been thinking about running a game of some sort, like a fantasy football but with classic players beginning in a certain year. I'm still working on the idea, and it is still only an idea, but tell me what you think of this:

It's run via email, google docs and bigsoccer forums. We start in a specific season in the past. I'm open to suggestions as to which one.

Each manager starts a new club based in a real city with a real stadium and is given a budget. The club is entered in a superleague. We then have a draft for players. After a certain number of rounds the transfer market will open, where you can bring players in from other leagues or make offers to other teams in the league.

Teams then compete in a round robin league and knockout cup.

The manager must pick a starting xi with subs, put them in a formation and state the basic style of play.

The scores are worked out on a hidden spreadsheet by a series of basic formulas and are affected by your decisions above, including a secret rating for each player, as well as three other factors - form, home advantage and luck.

After each game, results will be displayed for everyone along with stats and player ratings. It's then up to you to work out what is or isn't working for the team.

There are also injuries, suspensions and unhappy players to deal with. As your team develops, you will also have the option of scouting new regions for new players.

In terms of club finances, I want to keep it simple, but the manager can deal with transfer fees, wages, scouting costs, gate receipts and prize money.

I have this all worked out but I don't know exactly what results the spreadsheet wuld cough up if it actually happens so I may need a trial run. It's quite decent and will work out actual stats but it surely needs some refining for balance. I could do this after teams are picked but that may be a little unfair.

I would need around 8 players to begin with but could accomodate more.

What do you think of this idea and are you interested? If so what period would you prefer to start in?

2. Jimellow

Jimellow Member

May 15, 2005
    Ben Giveth & Benteke
    Is this something you are looking to start in time for the upcoming season(s), or isn't that important in a league of this type?

I'm intrigued and interested... Would certainly like to know more and be kept up to date on its progress.

3. Denis Horan

Denis Horan Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah looks really interesting. Great concept but a lot of work

4. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not important when it starts, we can use our own calendar. In fact the close season in europe might have been a good time.

Other than tweeking the sums on a trial run, I just have to copy and paste 22 numbers and post the outcomes. The rest is all admin but would be interesting to see.

Anyone interested shout up, or if you have any questions of course.

5. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Again, posting this as per the other thread...

Wondered if it might be worth revamping this idea as based in Football Manager instead of a spreadsheet. Not training or high detail stuff, just drafts, transfers and team building. So maybe more like a general manager. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but probably better all round than the original idea.

I say this as there's a big editing community around FM so there are always retro databases as an option. That and they're making an official in-game editor this year.

So post ITT if you're interested in a big soccer based PBM classic football manager game.