New FIFA Rankings

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by 2Saints, Jun 29, 2011.

1. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm still irate about Copa America.

We had a good chance to make a big impact there - the fed just didnt give a fuck, its bullshit - still pissed.

LGRod repped this.
  2. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    that was CONCACAF & that fat piece of shit Blazer's fault for making us take a Sub-22 team. but Compean & De Maria should have had the balls to them to go fuck themselves.

LGRod repped this.
  3. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    clearly better: Spain, Argentina, Germany
    Slightly better, but vulnerable: Holland, Portugal, France, Italy, Brasil, England
    Equals: Chile, Colombia, Uruguay, Denmark, Sweden

4. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Just heard on Raza Deportiva that in order for Mexico to be seeded in 2014, they would have to win every single game in the HEX, win the Gold Cup and finish in the top four at the Confeds Cup next summer.

hmmmm

5. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best case scenario would be going undefeated in the Hex

Getting a win in every game is asking a lot

6. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Color me skeptical about their assertion. First off, FIFA can change their mind at the last minute if the format they plan to use doesn't quite make sense with what they want, just as they've done in the past. Second, there is still too much up for grabs, especially for a team like Mexico (Gold Cup and Confeds) and whoever wins the African Cup of Nations.

As I've said before, Edgar is the source to go to for October 2013 rankings as they develop. Take a look at how the different continental competitions have had an effect on the potential seedings. In chronological order,

Pre 2012 African Cup of Nations-
    Uruguay, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, Argentina, Croatia, Brazil (Mexico at 27)
    http://www.football-rankings.info/2011/12/2014-fifa-world-cup-seeding-update-9.html
    Post 2012 African Cup of Nations-
    Côte d'Ivoire jumps to number 3 (and seed), Ghana to number 8, Zambia to number 12 (Mexico at 27).
    http://www.football-rankings.info/2012/02/2014-fifa-world-cup-seeding-update-24.html
    Post 2012 Euro-
    Spain, Germany, Portugal, Uruguay, England, Italy, Argentina, Brazil as host at 18 (Mexico at 19, Côte d'Ivoire slid to 11)
    http://www.football-rankings.info/2012/07/2014-fifa-world-cup-seeding-update-6.html
    Latest-
    Spain, Germany, Portugal, England, Uruguay, Argentina and Netherlands, Brazil as host at 18 (Mexico at 15, Côte d'Ivoire at 13)
    http://www.football-rankings.info/2012/09/2014-fifa-world-cup-seeding-update-21.html

It will, however, be important to do well in all the official games (ie-don't neglect the Gold Cup), and ideally minimize the friendlies as they'll bring the average down. Though I guess they still have that 5 game friendly contract for games on US soil.
    Edit- and to the point, Gold Cup and Confeds matches carry a x3 weighting, qualifiers x2.5, friendlies x1.

LGRod repped this.
  7. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Challenge accepted?

Ya se armó

LGRod repped this.
  8. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    tl;dr

and also, the games coming up count as 50% of the entire ranking. To put it in perspective, what we do in 2013 will be worth over 3 times as much as our performance in 2011 (50/25/15/10%).

9. ipaman

ipaman Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    HOUSTON, TX
    who gives a shit. mexico will dominate the hex, then do very will in the summer tourneys and get top fifa ranking. then seppy will change the seeding rules so we miss out. i've seen this before.

10. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    its only 10 games,

we just finished 6 in a row

facking challenge accepted

11. Regulus Tera

Regulus Tera Member+

None
    Mexico
    Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Edgar's preview for the November rankings is up:

1 Spain 1564 0 -47
    2 Germany 1421 0 -38
    3 Argentina 1349 1 141
    4 Portugal 1178 -1 -81
    5 Italy 1169 3 63
    6 England 1167 -1 -29
    7 Netherlands 1128 -1 -13
    8 Colombia 1110 1 8
    9 Russia 1084 3 70
    10 Croatia 1078 1 55
    11 Uruguay 1047 -4 -93
    12 Greece 1004 -2 -25
    13 Brazil 994 1 -7
    14 Mexico 984 5 59
    15 Côte d'Ivoire 974 1 23
    16 Switzerland 966 -1 -17
    17 Ecuador 951 3 49
    18 France 938 -5 -73
    19 Algeria 907 5 105
    20 Belgium 881 10 158
    21 Chile 853 -4 -95
    22 Denmark 851 -4 -93
    23 Sweden 826 -2 -33
    24 Japan 810 -1 -8
    25 Czech Republic 806 -3 -31
    26 Norway 778 0 14
    27 USA 776 5 56
    28 Mali 772 -1 13
    29 Ghana 762 2 40
    30 Hungary

We will most certainly go down for December as we don't have anything scheduled in that interim, but we should have real chances of clinching a seeding position if we get a good combination of Gold Cup/Confederations/Hexagonal results.

el-choul and LGRod repped this.
  12. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    And for the October 2013 ranking, if that's what FIFA uses, with 50% of the ranking to be determined over the next 12 months, we are up to 13.
    http://www.football-rankings.info/2012/10/2014-fifa-world-cup-seeding-update-19.html
    Random thoughts:
    • The current seeds would include 6 European teams and 2 South American teams.
    • Will FIFA be ok with 6 Euro seeds during a South American WC?
    • If not, this could mean good news for the best placed team out of Uruguay (on the way down, but has a Confeds for additional points), Colombia (on the way up), Mexico (on the way up, and has Gold Cup and Confeds), and Cd'I, regardless of whether they make it to the top 7 (top 7 because Brazil is host at 19 right now because of their lack of high weight, qualifying matches).
    • If Cd'I doesn't win the African Cup (and hence also go to Confeds), Mexico has a much better shot.
    • A friendly in November will hurt our rankings for the last portion, as it will bring the average down, though it shouldn't be the deciding factor as to whether to hold or not.
    • We have 10 qualifiers (x2.5), 3-6 GC (x3), 3-5 Confeds (x3), and say 5 friendlies (x1). That's 21-26 games. Those 5 friendlies will bring the average down quite a bit since they are around 20-25% of the matches, and worth so much less.
    • If they insist on the money, I'd recommend to FMF to make our friendlies unofficial (additional substitutions, etc.), but I don't know what kind of wiggle room they have with SUM contract.
    But should we really want the seed that bad?

13. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes we do.

Need short term, mid term and long term goals...blah blah etc.

I hate that we've had two of our easiest groups ever last two world cups and not played well. 94, 98 and 2002 teams left good memories of playing in really tough groups and making it out. I'd dare say those teams would kick these teams ass, sans time machine discussion please.

If we were to be a seed hopefully we would take advantage of it this time. At least with San Chepo...

14. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    So you'd want a stronger group, better preparing you for the next rounds. Is that your thinking?

But will the group be stronger with Mexico as a seed or as a Concacaf representative? Depends on the confederations in each pot, as well as the teams picked. I don't think there is a strong prediction in one way or the other.

Or should we just try to arrange to be in Argentina's group, so as to avoid them in the R16? :D

Don't get me wrong. I am in favor of going for a seed, even just for seed's sake. I am just trying to be contrarian with myself.

15. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Good idea choul, this and arrange to play the Nads in the 4th game. Exorcise all our bogeymen in one go.

LGRod and Miguel Myers repped this.
  16. Regulus Tera

Regulus Tera Member+

None
    Mexico
    Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Imagine if we end up in Argentina's or Spain's group in the World Cup. Everyone else I feel we can deal with.

LGRod repped this.
  17. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    I would add Brazil, because they are at home.

The point for this side of the argument, which by the way I don't support, is that if you face one in the group phase, then you can avoid that team again until the final. You still, of course, run the risk of facing the other team as early as the R16 or QF, but who is counting.

18. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes. The last time we had them in group stages, we beat them (CA 2004).

19. El_Tri89

El_Tri89 Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Earth
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I for one actually would love to have Mexico meet Argentina in the round of 16, if we cant beat them and get that monkey off our back then we don't deserve to move on.

20. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    ummmm what?

Losing to Argentina in the rd of 16 doesn't mean Mexico didn't/doesn't deserve to advance.

LGRod repped this.
  21. austin23

austin23 Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Semarang, Indonesia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That 2006 WC still haunts me. I have so many "what ifs" still stuck in my mind.
    1) What if we had gone to PK's?
    2) What if we faced a different team instead of Argie
    3) What if Pardo had not been injured
    4) What if Borgetti had not been injured in the first place vs Iran.
    and so on and so on. Oh well......

El Mariachi repped this.
  22. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well we would've faced Holland.

23. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    What if we actually had a competent manager not a superstitious cunt.

LGRod and El Mariachi repped this.
  24. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    we had the best Mexico could have, even FIFA gave a shout out to his tactical prowess