New Faces 2012/2013

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    We don't. They need us. I was responding to a post where some guy was saying he needs to know by the end of the year what various dual nationals are doing. Who cares? Let them do what they want. We've got more than enough talent right here. Johnson wanted to play here, took the call up and he's on the team. What gets me is all this agonizing over whether or not some bizarro world weirdo wants to play for us. I'd drop 'em like used toilet paper.

2. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do need them the USMNT would be in worse shape without the option of calling up dual nationals. Also they are weirdo's? And you would drop them like used toilet paper? Wow that is pathetic the more you talk the more ignorant you make yourself look, like I said before your fantasies will only become a reality in your
    dreams.

RevPOWA and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  3. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    If by some "bizarro world weirdo" you mean a US citizen, then sure. I don't agonize over every US citizen that plays soccer, only the good ones that can help the USMNT.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Hope I didn't insult anybody with the bizarro world weirdo remark which was really prompted by the rather wide rules regarding who can play for a particular national team. I don't remember the rules to the letter but somebody who had never been to the USA, couldn't speak a word of English who happened to have an American grandparent and wanted to play for the USA was what I was getting at.

Some people don't care, I've noticed. They just say "sign 'em up" without thinking through what their motivations and interests might be.

I happen to think that motivation is important when playing for Nats. It's just part of the experience. Not trying to suggest that those not American enough are weirdos. Far from it. My mom and dad never lost their European accents but they were very American. I grew up abroad.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    updated...

newcomer: Alan Gordon, Bryan Gaul

(3) GOALKEEPERS
    1-Dan Kennedy, 2-Ryan Meara, 3-Nick Rimando
    -Alternate: Bill Hamid
    -Honorable Mention: Sean Johnson, Tally Hall, Matt Pickens, Andy Gruenebaum
    -Outsiders: Zac MacMath, Brian Perk, Joe Willis, Chris Seitz, Jon Busch, Steve Clark, Brian Perk, David Bingham

(4) RIGHT BACKS
    1-Steve Beitashour, 2-Michael Parkhurst, 3-Chance Myers, 4-Sheannon Williams
    -Alternate: Kevin Alston
    -Honorable Mention: Tony Beltran, Ray Gaddis
    -Outsiders: Sean Franklin, Michael Farfan, Jalil Anibaba, Kofi Sarkodie

(5) CENTER BACKS
    1-George John, 2-Omar Gonzalez, 3-Austin Berry, 4-Matthew Hedges, 5-Amobi Okugo
    -Alternate: Matt Besler
    -Honorable Mention: Chad Marshall, AJ Soares
    -Outsiders: Brad Rusin, Drew Moor, Eric Brunner, Marvell Wynne, Jeff Parke, Stephen McCarthy, Andrew Jean-Baptiste, Ike Opara, Nat Borchers, Bryan Gaul, Jay DeMerit
    (omit Goodson)

(4) LEFT BACKS
    1-Justin Morrow, 2-Heath Pearce, 3-Connor Lade, 4-Zach Loyd
    -Alternate: Seth Sinovic
    -Honorable Mention: Corey Ashe, Sean Cunningham, Daniel Woolard
    -Outsiders: AJ De la Garza, Zarek Valentin, Jorge Villafana, Gabriel Farfan, Todd Dunivant

(5) MIDFIELDERS
    1-Kyle Beckerman, 2-Mikkel Diskerud, 3-Sam Cronin, 4-Dax McCarty, 5-Perry Kitchen
    -Alternate: Jeff Larentowicz
    -Honorable Mention: Ricardo Clark
    -Outsiders: Michael Stephens, Kirk Urso, Nate Sturgis, Ben Zemanski, Victor Pineda, Jose Villarreal, Collen Warner, Blair Gavin, Bryan Arguez, Conor Shanosky, Jack Jewsbury

(5) WINGERS
    1-Chris Pontius, 2-Josh Gatt, 3-Freddy Adu, 4-Graham Zusi, 5-Nick DeLeon
    -Alternate: Lee Nguyen
    -Honorable Mention: Dilly Duka, Antoine Hoppenot, Andrew Wenger, Luis Gil, Benny Feilhaber, Brek Shea
    -Outsiders: Sebastian Velasquez, Tony Cascio, Justin Mapp, Bobby Convey, Ethan Finlay, Zach Pfeffer, Sam Garza, Danny Cruz, Sal Zizzo, Mike Magee, Charles Renken, Brad Evans, Eddie Gaven, Kelyn Rowe, Conor O’ Brien, Brad Davis, Nick LaBrocca, Luis Silva, Eric Alexander
    (omit Donovan)

(4) FORWARDS
    1-Kenny Cooper, 2-Will Bruin, 3-Chris Wondolowski, 4-Juan Agudelo
    -Alternate: Jack McInerney
    -Honorable Mention: CJ Sapong, Alan Gordon, Steve Lenhart, Teal Bunbury, Eddie Johnson
    -Outsiders: Edson Buddle, Omar Salgado, Blake Brettschneider, David Estrada, Conor Casey, Brian Span, Justin Braun

------------------------Cooper-------------------------
    --------Pontius------------------------Gatt------------
    -----------------Zusi----------McCarty----------------
    ----------------------Beckerman---------------------
    Morrow-----------------------------------------Beitashour
    ----------------John-------------Gonzalez------------
    ------------------------Kennedy------------------------

Bench: Meara, Parkhurst, Cronin, Diskerud, Adu, Wondolowski, Bruin

6. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    name 1 player who who fits that description. All the players you are complaining about have an American for a father.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  7. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And speak English.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Which players am I complaining about? Please quote from posts. Because I honestly don't know. Please let me know who "all of them" are as otherwise I can't answer your question.

9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cirilo Saucedo

10. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the bigger question is which dual nationalists at u referring to. I figured the ones in question are the likes of chandler and various other dual nationalists that haven't opted USA yet.

U mentioned those that have grandparents that are American. Which dual nationalists are u referring to?

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If you haven't understood by now you never will and I suspect you don't want to.

12. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dodge, dip, duck, dive and dodge.

13. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here is the topic you started off discussing claiming we dont need them:

"(1) All about the dual-nationals. Will Chandler commit to the US and play in cap-tying game? Note that i still say we should at least attempt to call in Sakai and Henley too. Also, will Alonso be eligible? Furthermore, i say go ahead and call in Meara... we need him more than people think we do. Does anyone know if Moriyasu wants to and is also good enough for the USMNT? And when will Nagbe and Mwanga gain citizenship?"

here is the quote i quoted originally

which players are you referring to that fit your description? By your own logic you are personally fine with Johnson and Morales, but not with Chandler, Henley, Sakai, Alonso, Meara, Moriyasu, Nagbe or Mwanga?

Chandler - American father (no different then Johnson)
    Henley - born in Tennessee
    Sakai - born in NY dual citizen with US and Japan
    Alonso - defected to the US in hopes for a better life
    Meara - born in the US but dual citizenship with Ireland
    Moriyasu - born in Texas
    Nagbe - close to picking up citizenship
    Mwanga - close to picking up citizenship

so my question stands, who are these dual national players who have citizenship through their grandparents and with zero connection to the US?

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses longing for an international football career"

That first one is about Chandler, right?

15. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ive questioned Chandler as much as anyone. The fact he's missed 2 chances to be cap-tied seems to have shaken even his biggest supporters' confidence. However, he's a US citizen and a young player that has stated numerous times that he has zero interest in playing for Germany (whether or not that occurs we'll see). JK will continue to call him in until he is finally cap tied one way or another.

Regardless, i suspected more of a response. You mean to tell me your posts have all been about Chandler?

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My posts have been an objection to the attitude that we need to go out and solicit players from abroad and cap-tie them at the soonest opportunity so they can't play for anybody else. We need to realize that a dual national may have only the most tenuous emotional ties to the USA and no professional ties at all. This doesn't seem to matter at all to many who just assume that these players have the same motivations as everybody else.

Let's summarize: Some think that motivation is more important than others do.

17. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very few people think this route. Most are looking at a large number of the players listed that they may improve the US either on the field as a starter or immediate depth. It's not that we need to cap tie them so they can't play for another team it's that we want US eligible players who will improve the team to be capped and developed in our system.

18. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellency will just have to deal with it if Chandler or the rest of the dual nationals get called up.

19. HeMan

HeMan Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Earth
    I want to gain BS opinion on these players. I see these players talked about with the most frequency on these boards, and i want to figure out a way to cut out who has what it takes and who doesn't.

at back-up GK: Dan Kennedy, Andy Gruenebaum, Matt Pickens, Nick Rimando

at understudy GK: Ryan Meara, Bill Hamid, Caleb Patterson-Sewell, Steve Clark, Zac MacMath, & Sean Johnson

at RB: Eric Lichaj, Jonathan Spector, Steve Beitashour, Chance Myers, Kevin Alston, Sheannon Williams, Zach Loyd, & Brandon Barklage

at LB: Connor Lade, Michael Farfan, Corey Ashe, Seth Sinovic, Sean Cunningham, Greg Garza, Justin Morrow, Heath Pearce, & Daniel Woolard

at CB: John Brooks, Seb Hines, Zak Whitbread, Michael Orozco, Tim Ream, Omar Gonzalez, George John, Matt Besler, Austin Berry, Amobi Okugo, AJ De la Garza, Bryan Gaul, AJ Soares, Marvell Wynne, Matthew Hedges, Jalil Anibaba, Jeff Parke, Eric Brunner, Drew Moor, Jay DeMerit, Nat Borchers, & Chad Marshall

at MF: Sacha Kljestan, Stuart Holden, Daniel Williams, Alfredo Morales, Perry Kitchen, Amobi Okugo, Jeff Larentowicz, Ricardo Clark, Jack Jewsbury, Benny Feilhaber, Alejandro Bedoya, Bryan Gerzicich, Mikkel Diskerud, Sam Cronin, Brad Davis, Luis Gil, Brad Evans, Conor O' Brien, Lee Nguyen, Danny Cruz, Eddie Gaven, Kelyn Rowe, Luis Silva, Jose Villarreal, Graham Zusi, & Dax McCarty

FW: Freddy Adu, Chris Pontius, Brek Shea, Robbie Rogers, Josh Gatt, Tony Cascio, Nick DeLeon, Dilly Duka, Juan Agudelo, Omar Salgado, Teal Bunbury, Eddie Johnson, Edson Buddle, Andrew Wenger, CJ Sapong, Andrew Wooten, Kenny Cooper, Will Bruin, Charlie Davies, Alan Gordon, Jack McInerney, Villyan Bijev, Joseph Gyau, David Estrada, Conor Casey, Steve Lenhart, Robbie Findley, Brian Span, & Tony Taylor

My View:
    GK: Kennedy has earned a spot. Meara, Hamid, and Johnson are all promising. Patterson-Sewell is a complete mystery to me.
    DF: Obviously Lichaj and Ream. Hines, Whitbread, Brooks, Spector, Gonzalez, & John are in the driver seat to receive caps too. All of the other choices don't impress me that much.
    MF: Kljestan, Williams, Zusi, and Morales are the frontrunners of this group. I'm still Holden' out for Stu to return to make any decisions on him. I still like Mix a lot but haven't seen him in over a year. what's his status? i'm higher on Feilhaber, Nguyen, Cronin, McCarty, Bedoya, Clark, and McCarty than most but they are fighting an uphill battle to get on the A roster. Okugo, Gil, Villarreal, and Kitchen are promising, but i doubt they'll be ready this cycle. The rest you can dump.
    FW: Adu has always been good in a US shirt. I'm very high on Pontius and Gatt. I have high hopes for Gyau & Wooten. I'm not impressed with Shea, Rogers, Agudelo, & Bunbury, and most of the other choices i believe will struggle to make much of an impact at the international level. Regardless, given that Dempsey, Donovan, and Gomez are in the twilight of their careers and that Wondolowski has yet to make an impression, there is a lot of room for tryouts.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    John Anthony Brooks with the start today in Hertha Berlin's season opener.

Would it surprise anybody if Klinsmann calls him up for a friendly prior to the end of 2012? [like he called up Morales for a quick look-see.]

By the way, Kaiserslautern just signed another forward (Mohamadou Idrissou from Cameroon) . We'll see if Wooten is a starter or a bench player when the season starts. The FCK fans on Wooten's Yanks Abroad thread seem to think he'll now start as a bench player. Idrissou is an established and successful BundII player.

21. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New comers to get playing time for me...

Pontius, Adu, John Anthony Brooks, Lichaj and Cameron (I put him on here because I believe he becomes our starting CB next to Boca)

22. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree but with the games left in 2012 I don't see it happening.

23. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't because we have problems at the CB position.

24. HeMan

HeMan Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Earth
    We probably won't see too many new faces until qualification is set...

August roster:
    GK: Howard, Kennedy, Johnson
    FB: Chandler, Johnson, Castillo, Beitashour
    CB: Goodson, Ream, Hines, John
    MF: Williams, Torres, Jones, Corona, Beckerman, McCarty (or Cronin/Nguyen)
    FW: Pontius, Donovan, Zusi, Beasley, Gomez, Wondolowski

------------------Gomez----------------------
    -------Pontius------------Donovan---------
    ------------Torres------Jones----------------
    ------------------Williams--------------------
    Johnson-------------------------------Chandler
    -------------Ream-------Goodson-----------
    -------------------Howard--------------------

Bench: Kennedy, Hines, Castillo, Corona, Beckerman, Beasley, Wondolowski
    *Try out Pontius in Dempsey's spot, Williams at CDM, and tryout Ream again.

September/October roster:
    GK: Howard, Guzan, Rimando
    FB: Cherundolo, Chandler, Johnson, Lichaj
    CB: Cameron, Bocanegra, Goodson, Ream
    MF: Bradley, Edu, Jones, Williams, Torres, Beckerman
    FW: Donovan, Dempsey, Altidore, Wondolowski, Gomez

------------------Gomez-----------------
    ---------Dempsey-----Donovan--------
    ------------Torres----Bradley----------
    ------------------Jones------------------
    Johnson-------------------------Cherundolo
    ----------Bocanegra--Cameron--------
    ------------------Howard----------------

Bench: Guzan, Goodson, Chandler, Edu, Williams, Wondolowski, Altidore
    *nothing new unless someone really standout against Mexico.

October roster (if we've qualified):
    GK: Patterson-Sewell, Meara, Hamid
    FB: Beitashour, Morrow, Spector, Lichaj
    CB: Whitbread, Hines, Ream, Brooks
    MF: Morales, Williams, Kljestan, Diskerud, Corona, McCarty (or Nguyen/Cronin)
    FW: Gyau, Shea, Gatt, Adu, Wooten, Boyd

------------------Boyd----------------
    ------------Adu--------Gatt----------
    ---------Kljestan--------Corona-----
    -----------------Williams-------------
    Spector---------------------------Lichaj
    ---------Whitbread-----Ream--------
    -------------Patterson-Sewell---------

Bench: Meara, Hines, Beitashour, Morales, Diskerud, Gyau, Wooten
    *A lot will depend if we've qualified or not. If we have, i would completely shake the roster up and let some of these guys like Morales and Gyau get some minutes.

November roster:
    GK: Guzan, Johnson (or Meara/Hamid), Patterson-Sewell (or Rimando/Kennedy)
    FB: Chandler, Lichaj, Johnson, Spector
    CB: Bocanegra, Gonzalez (or John), Cameron (or Ream), Hines (or Whitbread/Brooks)
    MF: Holden, Torres, Bradley, Williams, Jones, Morales (or Mix/Sacha/Corona/Nguyen/McCarty/Cronin)
    FW: Adu, Pontius, Gatt, Gyau (or Shea/Zusi/Beasley/Rogers), Cooper (or Johnson/Davies), Bruin (or McInerney/Brkovic/Agudelo)

--------------------------Cooper------------------------
    ----------------Pontius-----------Gatt-----------------
    ------------------Bradley-------Holden----------------
    ---------------------------Jones-------------------------
    Johnson-----------------------------------------Chandler
    ------------------Bocanegra---Cameron---------------
    ----------------------------Guzan------------------------

Bench: Patterson-Sewell, Hines, Lichaj, Williams, Torres, Adu, Bruin
    *I would go with pretty much our A team except i would pull Donovan and Dempsey, tryout a new CF, and give Guzan some PT.

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Young Center Backs: Will Packwood, John Anthony Brooks, and Ventura Alvarado might get looks sooner than later if they continue to do well and feature for their clubs.