New England Prep School Rankings

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by bigblue4, Sep 2, 2003.

1. bigblue4

bigblue4 New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Who are the current powers in NE Prep School soccer? Please list at least top 5.

2. BarcaBear

BarcaBear New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    IL
  3. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Brooks School (MA)
    2. Loomis-Chaffee (CT)
    3. Noble and Greenough (MA)

no others are even close

4. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I need to add Worcester Academy (MA) to the list as they have been dominating in pre-season games, beating Brooks 4-2 yesterday.

5. soccerfan11

soccerfan11 Member

Jan 23, 2001
    Around Boston
    I heard that Beaver Country Day beat Brooks 1-0 in preseason a week or two ago.

6. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but I don't think Beaver has much depth this year. I think this may have just been a fluke.

Brooks' offense must just be off to a slow start. They have three regional-level attacking players and a terrific supporting midfield cast. Their keeper is great too. On paper, they are the favorites to win New Englands.

7. soccerfan11

soccerfan11 Member

Jan 23, 2001
    Around Boston
    True, but from what I hear, Beaver still has a solid team and a great defense this upcoming year. Depth in terms of capable bench players may be lacking, but aren't they class D? They still manage to have a traditionally strong team every year. I give them respect for what they accomplish. On the otherhand, Brooks does seem to have a great team this year, atleast on paper.

8. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Beaver may be Class C, but it really doesn't make much difference since the top 8 teams make the Class A tournament regardless of how they are classified for the regular season. I hear they may alter they way the tournament is run anyway to reflect the fact that the Classes are of little more than historical value.

When I was talking about depth, I really meant who the 8,9, and 10 field players are on the team, not necessarily who the bench players are. When you look at teams like Brooks and Nobles who have National pool players leading their attacks with two or three Regional pool players as well, what will determine how they do against each other and the best teams is who has the best "bottom of the roster" players. That's where Beaver is probably a cut below the top level NEPSAC squads. That is also why I think Brooks is the best on paper. I don't know much about Worcester - they seem to be off to a huge start.

9. bigblue4

bigblue4 New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Post Graduate Players

Does anyone know if any of these schools use or allow post graduate palyers?

10. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PG's

Loomis definitely does have PG's. Phillips Andover and Phillips Exeter do as well. Exeter isn't so strong. Andover traditionally is a strong soccer school but hasn't been in the last few years. This year may be different, though, and they may be on an upswing.

There are probably other schools that have PG's in New England (Deerfield comes to mind) but I don't know for sure.

11. Beckhamcpt07

Beckhamcpt07 Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loomis don't look to be as strong as previous years either. Brunswick School who doesn't have any post graduates and aren't traditionally a soccer school could have beaten them. If the refs weren't blind we could have drawn instead we lost 2-1.

I believe Kent, Taft, Choate and many other boarding schools in Connecticut allow PGs.

12. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats interesting to hear about Loomis. On paper they still looked awfully strong.

Meanwhile, about 1/3 into the season, some interesting events - Nobles just got upset by St. Pauls; Salisbury, Choate and Cheshire are undefeated so far. Brooks is undefeated in the ISL, beating Nobles 3-0. I stand by my prediction that Brooks will win it all this year - Charlie Davies is just too good.

Four teams will fight it out for second place in the ISL - St Pauls, Belmont Hill, BBN and Nobles. I expect St Pauls to drop off after they face the other top teams head to head since they had a loss and a tie early against weak teams.

If there actually is anyone out there interested in New England Prep School soccer here are two web sites that cover it:

islboyssoccer.sps.edu

www.eteamz.com/NEPSACSports

13. bigblue4

bigblue4 New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Prep School Coaches

Ok guys, Which NE Prep school has the best (top 5) coaches. Based upon National license, playing experience, conections to college coaches, etc.?

14. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Prep School Coaches

Its really hard to say unless you have seen the coach up close and personal over an extended period of time.

I have been impressed with the Loomis coach the few times I saw his team play. They play a very "professional" 4-4-2 with the outside backs really adding to the attack. Of course it helps that they have a National team player inthe back. The St. Pauls coach seems to get the most out of his talent. The coach with the winningest record in New England in the past 10 years is probably the Nobles coach.

15. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So the Class A New England Prep School Tournament starts Weds. Here are the seeds:

1. Brooks
    2. Choate
    3. Taft
    4. Worcester Academy
    5. Loomis
    6. Andover
    7. Belmont Hill
    8. Deerfield

My head says Brooks but my heart says Belmont Hill. Go Hillies !

My other preseseason pick - Nobles - qualified for the B Class tournament as the 3rd seed. Despite a record of 11-3-1, their season was probably disappointing to them since they had a ton of talent. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up winning the B tournament.

16. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks def. Deerfield (6-0)
    Loomis def. Worcester (4-2)
    Andover def. Taft (5-3)
    Belmont Hill def. Choate (1-0)

semis on Saturday:

Brooks v Loomis
    Andover v Belmont Hill

17. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    how do you think the best of the preps would fare w/ the best publics?

18. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best Prep would beat the best public most years.

This year, I don't think there is a public school team around that can stay with Brooks. Both their strikers and their attacking mid are on the Regional '86 team. One of them, Charlie Davies, was the number one recruit for UConn and BC this year. Three other starters are/were on the Mass or NH. state teams.

FWIW, Belmont Hill beat Medford 3-1 in a preseason scrimmage.

19. Beez

Beez Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Brooks beat Phillips Andover 4-1 in a commanding performance to win the Class A title. Davies scored 3 goals, finishing his career with 101.

20. simms3434

simms3434 New Member

May 26, 2003
    lexington, MA
    charlie davies is truly and exceptional play. It says a lot when you can score a hat trick in the finals. I have a feeling this won't be the last time we hear about him.

21. simms3434

simms3434 New Member

May 26, 2003
    lexington, MA
    yah, about medford they really aren't that good. We were a #15 seed in the D1 bracket and we lost 1-0 in overtime. A few of my friends go to Belmont Hill and I know for a fact they would crap on us. And seeing as they got beat pretty badly by Brooks (like everyone else in the ISL) I would predict a score in the low to high teens.

22. trickydude

trickydude New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    How do people feel Pomfrets Chances are this year. There starting off alot better then last year and they believe this could be there year.

23. Beckhamcpt07

Beckhamcpt07 Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Western New England:
    As of right now it looks like Loomis is teh class of the league. Very strong squad that moves the ball well. Taft and Hotchkiss are both solid. While Choate was very good last year, they have some suprising results this year.

24. nysoccerfan

nysoccerfan New Member

Oct 10, 2004
    its looks to me that the darkhorse rye country day deserves to be mentioned among that class at 6-0 with no goals allowed as well as salisbury + wilbraham and monson + deerfield etc.

also taft is having an abysmal season and hotchkiss isn't doing too fantastic either

anything can happen

25. Dr Jay

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is Rye Country Day the school that has alot of South Central Premier players ?