News: New England Force [NRC]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by gk, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But this name makes about as much sense as "Dunkin Donuts" Coffee!

2. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    and how does that differ from the rest of the shit american soccer names?

3. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    You mean you don't like Real Salt Lake?!?

4. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The Great Salt Lake is real. Rams in Boston are not.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  5. shanary

shanary Member

Aug 18, 2008
    BOSTON
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Errr you realize that it used to be a common practice to dunk your donut in coffee?

6. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely I do. I also am from the South Shore and my mom used to take me to the original DD's on the Southern Artery in Quincy back when it was the only one. And the Dunkin Donuts were plain doughnuts shaped with a tab for dunking.

But my point is no one dunks donuts in coffee at a counter with awesome ceramic cups any longer and they never changed the name. So the name makes no sense now. A bag of coffee from them says, Dunkin Donuts Coffee. Just like Real Ram. :) Sorry for the Real rant.

7. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---truly amazing what people on this board can find to argue about :D

8. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thoroughly unimpressed by the product the Victory put on the field and with most of the same people behind this organization I am very skeptical towards it's potential success.

I think this market (and me too) is just begging for a lower league side but like every other Boston sports product it needs to be well run and well located. We'll see if they get this thing off the ground this time but I'm not going to hold my breath.

9. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's not really the same people running the club. Tabora was dictatorial in the way he ran the Victory. Most, if not all, of the rest of that staff had very little input into how the club was run, who they selected and the way they played. That organization fell apart because Tabora was a complete egomaniac who wanted to control every single aspect of "his" club.

I've worked with a lot of the Rams guys, and heard the horror stories from their time with the Victory. I sat in on some trainings and games and saw just how overly controlling he was as well. If you meet a Rams staff member that use to work for the Victory, or even an ex player, ask them about the trip to Canada. Holy shit it will make your mind melt. Things with the Rams are going to be very different. You can already tell by how much less unnecessary hype has gone into promoting the team.

I'm not saying that they are going to be a smashing success. I'm just saying that there is really no correlation between them and the Victory.

10. TheLincolnKing

Dec 15, 2011
    ATL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just form the few brief encounters I've had with him, I really like John and he seems to have the perfect perspective on the situation. Its my understanding there was a lot he wanted to do that he didn't have the power to control. He was also brought on fairly late in the process. I am not surprised BVSC failed. I went to a game with an attendance of like 21. On the flip side, I am shocked that Worcester Hydra aren't back. I am very skeptical of all their big talk initially, but I have to give credit where credit is due, they had good crowds all season. I went a few times and every time I went it was a good 300-500 people out there, the only bigger crowds i saw in the PDL was at WM Pioneers and you know thats just different, you cant even compare. My suspicion is that they may have just over extended themselves. I will be supporting the Rams just because I do believe in John, but Real Boston Rams is a dumbass name.

RevsLiverpool and Kraft Out repped this.
  11. TheLincolnKing

Dec 15, 2011
    ATL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just from the few brief encounters I've had with him, I really like John and he seems to have the perfect perspective on the situation in terms of what is accomplishable and what isnt in the PDL in New England. Its my understanding there was a lot he wanted to do that he didn't have the power to control. He was also brought on fairly late in the process. I am not surprised BVSC failed. I went to a game with an attendance of like 21. On the flip side, I am shocked that Worcester Hydra aren't back. I am very skeptical of all their big talk initially, but I have to give credit where credit is due, they had good crowds all season. I went a few times and every time I went it was a good 300-500 people out there, the only bigger crowds i saw in the PDL was at WM Pioneers and you know thats just different, you cant even compare. My suspicion is that they may have just over extended themselves. I will be supporting the Rams just because I do believe in John, but Real Boston Rams is a dumbass name.

12. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm hoping this MLS Reserve League/USL integration goes through and the Revs Reserves end up playing competitive games that audiences can go see. I'd probably go to Reserve Team USL games more than MLS games if they had a decent location.

13. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my son's former club coaches was hired by BVSC as a coach and lasted about two weeks. He said he had huge philosophical differences with them right from the first day.

14. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How would it be possible that those philosophical differences wouldn't come up in a job interview?

I don't ask to disparage or discredit the previous comment. Its just somewhat far fetched to me that someone would be hired to be part of a soccer coaching staff without a major discussion of coaching philosophies.

15. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think you would be surprised how quickly a youth, or even D3 college level coach, would accept any professional level job. The coaching carousel in those levels rarely involve in depth interviews. I know that at least two of the coaches hire by Tabora were hired basically by email. He was looking for coaches with good credentials and willing to take the job. I don't even think either of them were formally interviewed.

Often in the soccer world, especially below the true professional ranks and D1 college, things are nowhere near as formal as you would expect them to be in the business world.

Also, I'm assuming this guy was a lower level assistant. Not all assistants want to, or even should, only take jobs that coincide with their playing style or philosophy. It's part of being an assistant and coming through the ranks to try different situations. I've seen situations similar to the one described above plenty of times.

16. RedRevs

RedRevs Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Cambridge
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've met a few of the guys at various coaching things but not since the Victory's season ended. I guess it was unfair of me to lump the two teams together but I didn't realize sergio had so much influence.

I think the biggest thing the Rams could do to catch my attention are announce their games somewhere in or close to the city. Madison Park HS?

17. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So... Saw a rumor that Amado Guevara is playing for the Force this season, and they're playing a friendly against Olimpa.

...Are they even in a league?

18. TheLincolnKing

Dec 15, 2011
    ATL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not a soccer insider, but the general feeling is that they are not in a league, but are playing a series of maybe 10 games this year all independently, all against legit pro competition, have a good smattering of caribbean / central american internationals and the like, and are slated to start play in full time USL Pro next year, but have not been formally awarded the franchise as yet, but its apparently inevitable, and they may play at Rentschler.

19. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even in youth clubs... Names seem to evolve like family names and they make no sense. A couple weeks ago my son's team played The Boston Bolts Celtic F.C.! Ridiculous name.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because they're funded by Celtic FC. It's like Revolution Empire United or whatever they're called.

21. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Did you get that from anywhere or are you just assuming they will play in the lowest league they said they would look into joining?

Keep in mind, the Austin Posse were "looking into" joining the Mexican league. The same guy is running the Force.

KaptPowers repped this.
  22. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand why. It just sounds silly, still. And even sillier to someone not familiar with this arrangement.

23. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    http://newenglandforce.com/qa.aspx :confused:

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next iteration: Real Boston Bolts Barcelona Rangers United

RevsFanDan repped this.
  25. TheLincolnKing

Dec 15, 2011
    ATL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like I read it somewhere over the winter, but now I am going back and trying to google my way to it and couldnt find it. After reading that interview however, it is apparent it is a big talk clown show, just like Boston Victory and Worcester Hydra, and the rest of these all hype no substance, here today gone tomorrow operations. That will be my stance until they at least complete 1 full season in SOME league, NPSL even, and then come back for a second year. Contrast this crap with what we are seeing from the Rams. The Rams, although yet to play a game, really do seem measured in their approach.

bwidell repped this.