New Crew Fan Survey: Crew Brand

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kgilbert78, Nov 21, 2012.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd not be surprised if either (a) the league or (b) a stadium sponsor has asked for this.

2. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then they should ask the question: If we get a stadium sponsor who wants us to change the logo, would you be in favor?

If it's the league, just tell them to forget it.

Crew Cat and cam5fc repped this.
  3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me re-phrase the question: Should we accept the check if the condition is changing part of our identity?

It sounds like "should we sell out?"

I'd say we'd be silly not to, but it depends on if we have any other takers and how legitimate those takers may be.

4. Matt C

Matt C Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That analysis is spot on. I bet the questions in that survey reflect the concerns and sincere doubts that local sponsors and potential investors have been asking the FO regarding the "Crew Brand".

There is a reason why the whole league has gone Euro-poseur. It's just good business.

Fine with me. If that's what it takes for a stadium sponsor, I'm 110% for it. Getting a stadium sponsor would be a huge step toward proving the club is a viable business and achieving local ownership.

5. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Well it is not barbasol. Those guys are clean shaven.

NUFCBayern repped this.
  6. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is certainly true in this country and could possibly be true in other parts of the world that I don't pay attention too.

If a change is deemed to be made, the timing is not right at this point. I personally feel that it should be coupled with a change in direction of the club, whether that be the manager or, as someone else pointed out, ownership. I certainly wouldn't want a new crest associated with RW and the tired ol' work hard in practice cause we give f 'all about the rest.

The counter to that though is that a new direction can further establish that when done correctly. And even then, what the Crew have right now, doesn't seem to be a whole helluva lot.

Failure wouldn't be the right word. It wasn't the worst crest, but other re-brandings and new clubs entering the league can make ours look stale.

But even if failure would be the right word, it is always better to get it out of the way in order to move forward. But like I said, its not a failure, but probably more so just dated in comparison to the rest.

HAHA! Nice. It would be a matter of identification of love of the club, not necessarily the crest.

7. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sell out? A team that has a corporate logo as the main presentation on our kit. As a team that used to have a Snicker's bar on it way back in the day? We now have HD Video ad boards.

I don't mean this as a strong criticism of the comment, Krypt. More just a comment to the point of if we've sold out this far, what is the real difference... especially if it involves getting this team to a point where it is marketed better to prospective investors and/or ownership. If it does, change it. I'm tired of absentee-HSG.

8. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    I'd like to meet their WAGS.

9. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good question, I would have to say Yes. I may not like it but I don't want to go the way of Wonder Bread. I would even say if a new owner came in and changed it I would feel the same way, I just want to keep this team in Columbus and if means changing the logo so be it.

I just hope they don't change the Logo because they talked to a consultant and replace it with
    Inter Columbus or Racing Columbus or other such Euro crap that is my fear and why I don't want them messing with it.

If they want to change the models that posed for the Logo to former players, I would have no problems with that, but what Players would you want to see. I would go with McBride because he was the First player the Crew Drafted in 96 and won the Open Cup, GBS because he is our first MLS MVP and won us our first MLS CUP. The last one I don't know but I would go with Frankie, he came back to Columbus does a good job of promoting the Crew and he does a good job at the Viewing party's.
    I think the Logo would then make much more sense than construction workers, it's the Columbus Crew Soccer Team.

10. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    Columbus 1996

It's euro and MLS relevant.

11. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I hit the Powerball Wednesday night, none of this is going to matter because I'm buying the club.

And we won't have to worry about Warzycha anymore.

CrewV Man, NUFCBayern, eboe and 3 others repped this.
  12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that there's a team I'm forgetting, but I can't think of an MLS team that "re-branded" (God but I hate that term; it's corporate bullshit-speak) that didn't have a new stadium go along with it.

The Burn and The Wizards of course, and also the Metrostars.

They were, in a very real sense (and to use more corpo-robot talk) "relaunching" their product. New name, new logo, new stadium and re-introduction to the market. Makes sense.

Simply changing the name with nothing else going on - hell, they're not even firing the goddam coach - smacks of complete desperation.

And it underestimates the residents of Central Ohio, who are more than sophisticated enough to fully recognize that changing the graphics doesn't mean a thing. If anything, I would think you'd actually LOSE credibility by trying something which is so transparently and obviously meaningless.

I would add the caveat, however, that the one exception I would make to the new stadium thing would be a new (LOCAL) ownership setup. THAT would make it entirely reasonable and explicable and help get people's attention.

But I'd be shocked into a coma if that were the case.

cam5fc, electrickeeper and HardHatMike repped this.
  13. Midfiel-duh

Midfiel-duh New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simply changing the name and logo would be ridiculous. Do we really think that people will see the re-branded team and think "wow, is this team new? where'd they come from?"

While there is a bit of an issue of brand awareness, changing a name wouldn't address that in the slightest.

15. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    The only rebranding I want is the removal of the name Warzycha from the website.

foozer, cam5fc, THOMA GOL and 1 other person repped this.
  16. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a half season tix holder and I got one. They also either tweeted or had a facebook post with a link for anyone who didn't get an email and wanted to fill out a survey.

17. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you when it comes to names/colors, but logo changes happen all the time for teams in the US (I realize soccer "crests" in Europe are probably more long-lasting). But I definately agree on the name, and, to a lesser extent, the colors. How many original teams names are left? Crew, DC United, LA Galaxy, and NE Revs? Any others?

18. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hence my "MLS excepted" comment. I was just saying that logo changes are not uncommon here in the states for companies and sports teams. And it seems color changes are not entirely uncommon in europe (less common for sports teams here in the states other than MLS).

19. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wonder if there is any tie into the Adidas contract. Remember after next year we are do for a new jersey. Maybe there is something that will be incorporated into that release?

20. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the one reason I'd be against changing the crest, unless there is something else there; new ownership, stadium naming rights, etc.

21. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing I took away from the survey was that the crest seems very much in play. I also think that this has to have something to do with the stadium sponsorship or local ownership because of all of the emphasis on how closely related (or not) the brand is to the city of Columbus. The whole hard-hat wearing, hardest working team in America meme doesn't really play into what Columbus is trying to become. I could also see a name change in the works to a more Euro style naming convention though that seems less likely than a crest change. I do not think they would screw with the colors (at least I hope not).

23. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    Bingo.

24. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States