New Crew Fan Survey: Crew Brand

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kgilbert78, Nov 21, 2012.

1. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YSA:p

2. DhamphirLoki

DhamphirLoki Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Kryptonite and THOMA GOL repped this.
  3. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough to build a tradition if things keep changing. We need to be careful here, otherwise we could end up with something like Sporting Kansas City and their "crest."

HardHatMike and LaMacchia repped this.
  4. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think they'll be halfway smart about it and go with something like VfB Columbus. At least they know the city has a German Heritage.

But, if they do this in-house (without hiring a marketing/PR consultant) it'll be AC Columbus, since that has the best "ring" to it.

5. hobbs1130

hobbs1130 New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If there's going to be a name change, I don't mind this one at all. The colors definitely make the team recognizable, so for me, that's non negotiable.

6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's what clueless, second rate marketing people do when left to their own devices. They hold meetings.

And when you put five or six mediocre minds around a table and they have no idea why they suck so badly - after all, they're all so bright and funny and clever and stylish - they decide that the problem isn't that the product stinks and they don't have the first clue what they're doing.

No indeed, the problem is that the brand is "tired".

Eventually someone suggests "rebranding' which is a lot better than, you know working and shit. Think of all the meetings, memos, surveys, strategies, studies, powerpoint presentations and other stupid pointless bullshit they can collectively generate.

This kind of sad, ignorant crap is exactly what is wrong with American business. If I ran the team the first thing I'd do is fire everybody who has the time to come to the meetings.

Everybody here has heard me say this before, but I fully intend to have it chiseled on my grave: you can spend whatever you want to "market" the living hell out of something but when push comes to shove if what you;re selling is french fried fresh dog shit people just won't buy it. Maybe you can get them to taste a sample but at the end of the day french fried fresh dog shit is still nothing but french fried fresh dog shit and people don't like the taste.

So of course the Crew's solution is to put it in a bright and shiny new wrapper.

Yeah, that'll work.

The only thing that will change the Crew's position in the market is what KC has done: local ownership.

GoldenAxe, Crew Cat, HardHatMike and 5 others repped this.
  7. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Nordecke. ;)

THOMA GOL repped this.
  8. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wizards have won a MLS Cup and SKC hasn't. But the rebrand worked very well for them, regardless.

The crest is part of our history but it doesn't make our history.

9. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bull shit.
    Moving out of Arrowhead is what worked for them.

HardHatMike and Bill Archer repped this.
  10. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't all it was. They got people in there who knew what they were doing. Kauffman, while rinky-dinky, was a step up, but things fell into place all at the same time for them. Stadium, branding, solid on field product. we've got a stadium. Our market brand is low, the original slogan was over-used by 1998 and we have a slipping on field product.

I said to McCullers in my email that the on field product will continue to slip with RW at the helm. And fan confidence is at an extreme low with the manager - which will hurt ticket sales. Which hurts brand.

I would support a change to the crest as long as they utilize the supporters groups for input and the shooting down of completely idiotic ideas.

The Crew, doesn't need to change. The colors? They'd better stay. But making a change without changing the manager will also limit the potential success of a re brand. As Bill said, french fried fresh dog shit in a bright and shiny new wrapper. That is what it would be if they keep RW.

11. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    But "merde de la chien frais" has such a continental sound to it and evokes a team competing in the Champions League.

12. StatesideSoccer

May 17, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a marketing/communications guy, my only problem was with whoever butchered the phrasing in the five point Likert questions.

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually met one of them once in Indy. I was wearing a Crew polo and we were getting our car parked at the Indy Courtyard--the attendant did a double take when he saw the shirt and said "Did you know I posed for that?" The guy on the right. This was at least 10 years ago...

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You needed to send them a Krypto Hat Trick (TM).

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't there enough "KHT's" on their sideline?

16. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Crew is not a brand. The Crew is a soccer club. You might re-brand but you do not re-club.

I will be very disappointed if the name, crest or colors are changed.

ZipSix and DGA57 repped this.
  17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that I would be disappointed as well. But given that MLS is single entity, we're not truly a "soccer club" but something else.

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VfL.... ;) Or Borussia Columbus....:D

19. Matt C

Matt C Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am open to changing it all. Crest, colors, names, all of it.

The logo has NOTHING to do with Columbus, the region, or Ohio. Sure it's what the club has worn on its chest, but the logo is not the club. The CLUB has the tradition of being a successful professional soccer franchise in Columbus. The logo/crest is just an image and can change.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Crest had SOMETHING to do with Columbus or Ohio? Of course it would.

(as an aside, I can SO see devoted pre-Sporting KC fans praising eternal fealty to the "Wiz" crest and nickname and lamenting the loss of their crappy, crappy, "tradition". "Yeah its retarded but it's MY retarded and I LOVE it!!!" It's not important, people. Let it go.)

But if it is to be changed, it should have some reference to Columbus or Ohio.

The problem is defining what is unique about Columbus.

I agree with what another poster said about "Capital City" jumping out at them. The Ohio Capitol Building with its cut off cupola is actually quite unique, and set at the corner of Broad and High.
    [​IMG]

COTA now uses the building as part of its logo.
    [​IMG]

I think an Everton style crest with the cupola instead of Prince Rupert's Tower could work nicely.
    [​IMG]

Skeleton Crew repped this.
  20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    If you want to capture the fan's mood these days just use a drawing of Muggs. Can you get more Columbus?

21. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I would even consider getting a makeover would be the logo. Even then, I'd lean more towards don't touch it. Maybe develop a secondary logo (better than the word mark one we sometimes use) that looks better on clothing apparel. But the rest of the Crew brand is distinguished and has history to go with it.

If you're looking for a way to energize the fan base or corporate sponsors, sack Andrulis 2.0 and put an attractive, winning team on the field. The front office has done a great job and getting more season ticket holders and corporate partnerships this year, but in the end they're still pushing a product that regularly falls short of people's expectations.

NUFC Fan repped this.
  22. jtotheb

jtotheb Member

Apr 22, 2008
    the nati
    agreed, i dont normally post but this has me excited. i love the crew but our crest is silly and needs
    to be changed. colors and name are awesome, crest is weird and unprofessional.

23. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want anything changed. We've spent 17 seasons building our identity -- I don't feel like chucking it. Besides -- for all the bellyaching we do about the league office not liking us, or the small-town potshots we take from other fan bases, we're an MLS original, and our colors and crest have lasted for as long as the league has. New York can't say that. Kansas City can't say that. Colorado can't say that. I think there's something to be said for withstanding the test of time.

Not to mention -- there's always the possibility that the new logo/name/whatever could suck. Why take that chance when there's nothing wrong with what we have?

Jim Bach and ZipSix repped this.
  24. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
  25. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team: