News: New Coach!! Ryan Nelsen

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by RetreadFC, Jan 7, 2013.

1. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And, yet, the best 3 seasons the club has ever had "MOJO" was employed by TFC??

2. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Dallas fans seem sorry to see him go....he must have done ok during his stint there

3. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ooops...that's my bad. I think admins are the only ones that can change that though.:(

4. TFC07CFC67

TFC07CFC67 New Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    was it more due to the fact we played on the crappy plastic shite that no other team liked playing on? more then MOJO? since we have gone to grass the club has struggled..more due to the ineptness of MLSE..but one wonders..

5. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Pretty sure TFC is not (then or now) the only team to play on fake grass.....wasn't the turf the reason we could not recruit the players necessary to get good/better....i really lose track of the excuses ;)

6. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Was not criticizing the original misspelling.....we all do it.....just asking it be changed!

7. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Done

8. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Don't know what team you're thinking of, but TFC has never not struggled. They struggled with field turf and they've struggled with natural grass.

9. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

10. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So....no need to worry!.

We have a new coach....but we don't know when. He has never coached anywhere but feels he has been coaching since he was in his early 20s because he has worked with good coaches.

Until our new, inexperienced coach is available (could be as late as May) we will have his new assistant who he has known for 15 years......but who got his pro coaching license 48 hours ago and has been unable to answer a single question about the current squad.

All we are being told is that they will all work very hard to put a product on the pitch that will match the passion that the fans bring.

Thank goodness...as we have never heard that before!

This may work....but I just don't think that we are the team to experiment like this and I am more than ever convinced that this was Payne's "tear down" plan from the moment he was hired but the backroom folks said "before we go that route, can we try and renew some season tickets first....this might not sell well at the start of year 7".

12. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Don't know what to make of the situation, never heard of hiring a new coach only for him not to be around for the draft, pre-season and first couple months of the year. Seems like if Nelson wanted the job he would of figured out a way or agree to be released from QPR. Just another one of those odd decisions which have us scratching our heads and when you think the club got things going in the right direction something like this pops up.

13. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Only in TFC land.

14. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    288670478942486529 is not a valid tweet id

288670758706741248 is not a valid tweet id

This made me spit out my coffee when I read it. No other candidates? With all of Payne's connections, there no other candidates?

15. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think we knew before the presser that he had no experience/badges/qualifications.....what some may have expected though is that he would be assisted with someone with vast experience.

what we get is a guy who has coached at the college level (see below) but just got his pro license "48 hours ago".

1989-1991​
    Elmira College
    1992-1993​
    Kenyon College
    1994-2000​
    Dartmouth College
    2001-2005​
    George Mason University
    2005-2012​
    Bowdoin College
    2012-​
    Toronto FC (assistant)

16. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So who is to coach the team until May?

17. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The thing I find shocking isn't that Nelsen has no previous experience, it's the fact that everyone in the media seemed surprised by this.
    It was as if they all went into that room expecting a player who just played this past weekend, to have coaching experience, or to have gone out and got his coaching licence during his playing career. Either he has the potential to be a good coach, or he doesn't. A piece of paper stating that you're qualified to coach doesn't make you a great coach. Personally, I trust Payne's judgement when it comes to who will be a good coach.

Also, why is it such a big deal that Payne didn't consider others? If he had Nelson labeled as someone to hire as a coach for a long time, a big search process would have been redundant, and a waste of precious time

TorontoFC1976 repped this.
  18. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I suspect that this isn't entirely true, but that he doesn't want to announce that Nelsen was not his first choice.

19. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I come in peace. We really liked JDG. He was playing a Dax McCarty linking role in our 5-man midfield. We all agreed we couldn't afford him at DP rates though, and wouldn't want a solid linking midfielder at that price anyway, especially when our coach wants to eventually play a 4-4-2.

crazypete13 repped this.
  20. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Other players have worked on their coaching badges during (usually towards the end of) their playing careers. It is typically something done in the offseason.

It is more of an issue if your intent is to coach/manage in Europe as there are, I believe, certain European competitions that you cannot coach/manage in if you have not obtained the right level of badges.

As I believe I have already said, i agree that this was Payne's direction from the start. I just don't understand (well really I do) why it was not announced before. If you listen to Nelsen, he has known for a while that his playing days were ending (he says he has been playing all year on glass knees and ankles) and nothing was announced today that could not have been announced in October/November. All that was said today was that at the end of Ryan Neslsen's QPR contract (or earlier if it can be negotiated) he would become head coach at TFC. I suspect that the reason it was not announced until now is that there would have been concern over how season tickets for year 7 would sell if they were trying to sell that the new coach would have zero experience and would not be here, potentially, until June......a good chunk of the season has gone by then. It was much easier to sell season tickets with the message that the coach (Paul Mariner) and his staff were on a "make the playoffs or else" mission.

21. Smiling Politely

Aug 4, 2012
    Business as usual for TFC. At least Mariner is gone.

You have to admit it's never boring following this team.

22. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Our manager is still under contract as a player who plays in another continent and won't be available for months.
    Any other information about Nelsen is worthless at this point. We've hired a manager who still plays on the other side of the ocean. Only TFC would do that. This looks like quite possibly the most shocking move we've ever made, which is saying a lot.

23. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  24. Smiling Politely

Aug 4, 2012
    Could you imagine if they hired someone like Jesse Marsch? We would have nothing to talk about for months, this is much more interesting.

25. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well there were rumours earlier of him being a player/coach. And that's what he is. Just not for the same team.:eek: