New and improved Season Ticket Holder Count

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by profiled, May 17, 2012.

1. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So unique that it has no similarity to the Rapids One Club initiative they introduced in February by announcing that their season ticket holders names will be on their 2013/14 home jerseys. :rolleyes:

I've got no problem with the Red Bulls doing something similar, but don't rip off the idea and slogan and then try to claim it as unique.

4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    CONFIRMED:
    Seattle Sounders FC --------- 32,000 (2010)
    Toronto FC ------------------- 16,000 (2012)
    Portland Timbers FC --------- 14,750 (2012)
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC ---- 13,000 (2012)
    Philadelphia Union - 12,000-13,000 (2011)
    Houston Dynamo ------------ 12,000 (2012)
    Sporting Kansas City --------- 11,000 (2011)
    Montreal Impact -------------- 8,000 (2012)
    Los Angeles Galaxy ----------- 7,500 (2012)
    Real Salt Lake --------- 7,000-8,000 (2011)
    Red Bull New York ----------- ~7,000 (2012)
    Chicago Fire ------------------- 6,000 (2012)
    Columbus Crew --------------- 5,000 (2012)
    San Jose Earthquakes --------- 4,000 (2012)
    Colorado Rapids -------------- 3,500 (2012)
    UNCONFIRMED:

MISSING:
    Chivas USA, DC United, FC Dallas, NE Revolution,​

Updated the Red Bull's number to "confirmed" of "about 7,000" as per the article quoted.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...-to-include-fans-names-in-jersey-numbers.html

5. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    i'm surprised we don't have a more recent number for seattle.

6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

If anyone sees a link with an article we can update it asap.

7. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    no new numbers for this?

8. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Just curious if anybody knows what clubs have sold out of season tickets and have a waitlist. It is well known that the Timbers are sold out and have a waitlist of 7,500. I recall that at times in the past Toronto and Seattle were sold out and had waitlists -- is that still the case? Any other team at STH capacity (Philadelphia? Vancouver? Houston?)

9. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Pity us not, our ranks will be smaller next season in all likelihood.

10. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have certain sections of the stadium that have a waitlist. Our suites are sold out, our Shield Club is sold out, and I believe the Member's Club has an STH waitlist as well.

11. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any way we could put a second column of the teams average attendance (use announced ?)
    It would be interesting to see the gap between ST and announced attendance. Probably not accurate, but would that then be you walk up crowd or group sales?
    LAG going back to the days of the Rose Bowl always had decent walk up and still must for us to "average " the 20k to 27k we have over the years with only 7,500 ST's.
    Also , this ST number- full and partial being included ? For example, i bought a Pick 6 for this year and my ticket actually says partial season ticket

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Minimum attendance might be better than average.

As teams announce tickets sold/distributed, the minimum should never drop below the number of full season ticket holders (though potentially lower than the "full season equivalents").

13. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for cases where STHs can trade in tickets from one game to another, like in KC. Not that I expect this would actually be a significant number, but it is possible.

14. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Montreal released a new seating map and ST prices for 2013:

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/2013-season-tickets-renewal/stadium-plan-prices

Don't know if this is the best thread for this, but y'all will be interested to know that the supporters section(General Admission, bench seating) has been doubled, family section goes from 2 to 3 sections and ticket prices remain flat or less all round, though that last remains conjecture until single game tickets prices are released early next year.

Can anyone share how the Impact prices compare with others around the league?

15. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    it has been reported (and is now widely accpeted) that Toronto's waitlist has now shrunk to 0. Any non-renewed tickets this year will likely see a drop in the total STHs in Toronto. How low it goes, no one knows.....but there is a sense that there will be a lower than the historic renewal rate.

16. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the way the Union have played, I'd be shocked if there is a single person on the wait list. On a thread in the Union forum last night someone suggested the U are expecting a 30% not to renew for 2013. I guess ridding your team of well liked players who perform isn't such a good idea.

17. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Every team in the league has, or can expect to have, bad seasons. A 30 percent decrease based on a bad season is not a great sign for the long term success at the gate for any team.

18. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree to an extent but this something every one of the original MLS teams went through. I also think its more a reaction the lack of vision from the FO than anything. A bad season is one thing, blowing up a team that looked on the rise and turning into blubbering mess with no clear direction is going to turn people off.

19. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    not a new number specifically, but relevant (from the news thread):

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2012/09/11/crew-owner-hunt-optimistic-about.html

20. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    30% drop, or rather a 70% renewal rate is bad for a given year, but not as bad as you may think. I think American Sports teams only average about 80-85% renewal rate each year anyway, so you will have to replace some that dropped each year. Say they only get 70% instead of 85%, you are talking about 1800 seats or so (over the average). Not ideal but some of even that will be made up with new accounts.

Closest I can come to a reference. Even the big ol' NFL is issuing press releases and excited about 90% renewal. So the normal number is something in the 80s for all sports.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8278246/nfl-season-ticket-renewals-league-says

23. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure why seattle has the 2010 tag as we have had 32000 season ticket holders for two years now.

24. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Probably one of two things......1) that was the last date it was "officially confirmed"....or....2) no one updated the date here!

The impessive thing about Seattle (to me) is not that there are over 30k season tickets (although that is cool) but that they can regularly still sell tickets beyond those numbers. Not sure there are any other markets in the league that can do that.

25. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    need a linkable reliable source to update the date.