New 2012-13 Fire jersey - Quaker Sponsor

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by penwyn1, Dec 4, 2011.

1. burningfire

burningfire Member+

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: 2012 Jersey- Chicago Quakers

:D
    ... collar is very English ,,me no like

2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000

Is it really? Is there much you can do with a jersey that doesn't seem English since the EPL dominates the sport?

3. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

Sorry, that's way too close.

And bunge is right about thew "home" kit being designed by Dallas.

I'm fine with Quaker as our shirt sponsor but these designs are just bad. If they'd at least made the strip on the front of the "home" jersey white with the Quaker logo in dark blue, I could live with the collar that hasn't been seen since Paul Lynde left the Hollywood Squares.

1 person likes this.
  4. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I LOVE the second jersey. ******** New England, they don't get to stake ownership over one of our primary colors. Have you ever seen our badge? Navy is ours. Besides, if our current away supposedly looks like New England (it doesn't) then our previous away looked like Los Angeles.

If the new home jersey was for some other team, I'd think it was great. But for us, I dislike that the stripe is blue. But even that is starting to grow on me (a little).

5. chicagoism2

chicagoism2 New Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

At a certain point I just think complaining about the blue jersey is for complaint's sake.

Other than the fact that its navy blue, it looks nothing like that shirt. The Revs have had some of the most notoriously plain jerseys in MLS history...

Ours actually incorporates the flag with the light blue pinstripes and stars and you know is a design... I can see complaining about the red shirt but the blue is actually very cool and looks like they put some thought into it's design.

Lastly, teams change jersey designs all the time. I'm not over the moon losing the white bar on the red strip but its not like it will never come back. If you don't like it, you don't need to buy it...

6. cweimers

cweimers Member+

Mar 5, 2010
    DC
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The away jersey is such a step up from last year's plain white shirt.

7. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This will the first year that our away jersey isn't going to be white. Unless our 3rd jersey is going to be white, that is if we have a 3rd jersey this year. If we do get a 3rd jersey I hope that it wouldn't be a white jersey.

8. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jersey shore

At a certain point I just think complaining about anything sports related is for complaint's sake (unless you make your living via the sport and therefore have some skin in the game). There are much more important things to complain about these days than anything regarding MLS.

That said, this is a Fire forum and people have different opinions on things Fire-related, jerseys included. If other people like these jerseys, well there's no accounting for taste, I guess. After all, Jersey Shore, the Twilight series and the Black Eyed Peas are all quite popular and I don't like them either. Go figure.

The red home/white away jersey combo has been with us since the beginning and is very much part of our identity. Now we have Andrew blathering away about "brand architecture" while changing a very visible symbol of that identity. If that kind of MBA-addled businessbabble doesn't speak directly to some of what's going wrong with the team since he took over, I don't know what does.

Of course, the color and resemblance to other teams' jerseys are not the only things I don't like about these designs. I'm not a big fan of the "ladder" on our away shirt either. And since we're going retro-NASL with that wide collar, why not bring back the fringe too?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just imagine those fabulousities in red, blue and white! Hubba hubba!

In the past, posters here have come up with better shirt designs so there's not much excuse for the supposed professionals for getting it wrong, IMO. To me these jerseys smack of change for the sheer sake of change with no thought of keeping what was good about our traditional jerseys let alone improving them in any way which I think is a shame because what we've traditionally had was perfectly OK.

If we want to look on the bright side, we can give credit to Peter Wilt and the original Fire staff for coming up with a basic look that is still difficult to mess up too badly. Heaven knows adidas has tried their best and even this year's designs aren't as bad as some teams. Of course, some people would say that "not being as bad as some teams" seems to have become acceptable under Andrew but there you are...

9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

New England's 2012 home jersey.

Front: [​IMG]

http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/news/2012/01/revs-address-left-back-vacancy-addition-polak

Chicago's 2012 away jersey.

[​IMG]

Sorry, not so close.

10. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The solid blue that NE has usually worn makes it close especially since the only time we've ever worn a dark blue jersey was one game on July 7, 2002. Other than that, we're been red or white aside from yellow Sting memorial jerseys that celebrate Chicago's soccer heritage and the sky blue "third" jersey in 2005 that at least was based on the Chicago flag. I give you as B+ for effort but a D for execution.

That said, if you like the new jersey designs, fine. People like "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" too and that's far less defensible. Vive la difference and all that. I don't like the designs on aesthetic grounds and because I think they nudge us further away from our identity and away the "tradition" featured so prominently in the FO's marketing slogan.

11. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just because there both blue doesn't make them close, that only means that we won't be able to wear them against New England. I just wonder if our home jersey is too close in color to New England's home jersey to use also.

Gives us an excuse to have a 3rd jersey, just in case our home and away jersey's are too close in color to New England's.

12. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Get rid of the old dude on the jersey, go back to white for the "secondary" kit, and make the Quaker font a little less dull and I'll buy it!

13. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Re: Jersey shore

This, I don't mind it for a year. But the white bar needs to come back in the next jersey. This team won't be owned by Andrew forever....I mean, it's Tradition Honor Passion.
    It's not "Tradition (Except for the one I don't like) Honor (Missing playoffs/no trophies/Nery Castillo) Passion (When I get around to showing up to a game twice a year).

14. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
  15. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At least someone sees it. Our away jersey resembles New England's old (last year?) jersey far too much for my liking.

I believe the one that firefan2001 posted is their new one?

16. Boul'Mich

Boul'Mich Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Chicago

I have no problem with the away, we were due for a navy shirt.

But there is no explanation for the curvy navy stripe on the home shirt when we've always had a white one. Everything else looks just fine to me.

17. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nobody is more "blue collar" than us...

But our third jersey should be a mash up of the home and away...

Gogol, if you will:

"Start wearing purple, wearing purple...

start wearing purple for me now

all your sanity, and wits, they will all vanish, I promise

it's just a matter of time"

:rolleyes:

18. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

Didn't know we had so many fashionistas in here. :D

Both shirts are fine. Strap em on and let's go already. I needs me some Fire soon!

19. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thought the Crew were "America's hardest working team"? ;)

20. PhantomTollbooth

PhantomTollbooth New Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Appleton, WI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I know this wasn't serious... but... I can't think of too many teams with purple shirts... that would actually be pretty cool. Then they could come out onto the field to Smoke on the Water or Highway Star.

21. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The good ol' SV Austria Salzburg. Well before Red Bull bought them and then banned the supporters / fans from wearing purple. :(

22. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

Tradition: Home jersey = red with white stripe

23. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

Of course we pissed on all three (Tradition, Honor, Passion) by not incorporating CJ Brown as part of this club after his retirement.

1 person likes this.
  24. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If they want to change it, fine. I just ask that they then be honest and put "Branding architecture. Money. Marketing." on the shirt instead.

Don't you watch Gambare! on FSC? Kyoto Purple Sanga, baybee!

[​IMG]

25. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I imagine when the Fire go to Foxboro they will be wearing their red kits anyway. Wasn't a point made this year from the top that these are primary and secondary jerseys and not Home/away anyway?