Netherlands Brilliant Oranje - Euro Cup 2012 Thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by CanadaHolland, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Who would you play on left back now from the 4 options?

2. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Anita is probably going to be our LB, But I would play Willems! Just for the lulz.
    A long as it's not Schaars or Bouma I'm fine!

3. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Quality wise Jetro Willems. I'm only afraid the amount of matches in such a short time-span might be a problem for Willems and I'm worried that will affect his performances. He couldn't even finish one entire match a few months ago.

But he's a fine back with great attacking qualities and who cán defend. His only problem he's prone to make mistakes. Bouma can barely walk and Schaars isn't a back. This leaves Anita and Willems. I would give them both a shot during the friendlies and see who does best.

As a PSV fan, I prefer Jetro Willems above Erik Pieters and Bouma in the PSV line-up as leftback.

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I liked Jetro in his last matches, but he is going to make mistakes. We have seen how Germany is able to punish those. I think it's a huge gamble to play him with the knowledge what they did to Braafheid who never recovered from that game to this day IMO. He still has to make his debut and will have to perform on the highest level as an 18 year old. It's pretty crazy if you think about it, especially for a defender.

I do agree that the way he played his last few matches I like him better than Pieters at PSV. Much more football in the boy. However experience is a big factor. Gio was horrible in Eredivisie 2009-2010, but great at the WC. I'm afraid for a vice versa scenario.

5. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Everybody who saw both games against Valencia know that Willems is far from ready and Anita at LB is far from ideal. We've seen that at Ajax, he's a much better DM.

Pag, Urby this season has had more impressive displays than the likes of Siem, Strootman and even Maher and he did it at a much higher level/platform.

6. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    .... Willems didn't even play against Valencia in the Philips Stadion, Pieters did ....

He was indeed horrible against Valencia away and he was horrible against Feyenoord. But I can tell you that Pieters has been horrible as often if not more. Since he got some rest and after he replaced Pieters ágain he became much stronger. I even dare to claim he was the best and most consistent PSV in his last few weeks.

Emanuelson is a runner, we have with Afellay a similair player who's much better. Emanuelson might be a better player than Willems and he is a decent midfielder, but he's a horrible back. Just as Wesley Sneijder is a horrible back. Siem de Jong and Maher are different type of players. And don't worry, Siem won't make the final cut either and I doubt Maher will. And you can't compare Emanuelson with Strootman.

We have no good leftbacks, we must accept it and play with the best we have. I believe it's Willems. He's very strong in the attack and he can defend. A poster above says his mistakes will be punished, but same goes for Emanuelson and Schaars.

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well basically we can be dead sure Huntelaar and RVP will not play together in the Dutch NT with a fit Sneijder. RVP on left wing does not track back enough to cover for left back. Afellay and Kuyt are a certainty for the left wing IMO.

8. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Bert has caused quite a storm in Dutch social media with this decision. The vast majority of people are outraged. :laugh:

Pag, Urby and Willems are both prone to make mistakes because they're both better going forward than defending they are quite alike, but at something as importants as the EC you should always go for the more experienced player. I think Bert is going overboard with this in mind and will opt for Bouma instead.

You seriously consider Willems a better option than Urby against Germany, Portugal and Denmark? Urby is almost 10 years younger than Bouma and has about the same amount of games in Europe, he can cope with the pressure a lot better than I-just-played-my-1st-season-in-Eredivisie Willems.

And why can't you compare him to Strootman? Urby is so versatile he will have no problem partnering NDJ or MVB in midfield if he has to. With the season that Strootman just had I would prefer Schaars ahead in the picking order.

Urby had one hell of a season, he deserved to be in the squad. Watch Bert say something crazy about his fitness levels in the press tomorrow and ignore all follow up questions about Afellay and Mathijsen. :p

I'm sorry, I'm just really really >>> :mad:

9. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I still think Nick Viergever was the nice middle here. Couple of years older than Willems, is a defender unlike Emanuelson, has a left foot unlike Anita and is fast unlike Schaars.

He also has a good tackle and is good on ball. He was also the best Dutch defender in Eredivisie.

I am very upset van Marwijk missed this option for left back and just didn't test him.

10. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Both opinions are defendable, we must just hope v. Marwijk made the right choice.

Selecting Bouma is a bigger disgrace than not selecting Emanuelson, I think he hopes for a Ooijer scenario but I can't see that happen.

11. Bran

Bran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nijmegen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Emanuelson was flop of the match in the coppa italia match against Juventus, after that he lost his place. He rarely played the full 90 minutes or was warming the bench again.

No, I'm very happy that Bert made that decision. Emanuelson is a horrible player he couldn't defend to save his life in the match against Hungary and in the match against England he brought nothing new in the midfield. There are plenty of other midfield prospects out there who are way better.

12. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Whats the most likely starting 11 for you guys?

--------------------------Stekelenburg-----------------------------
    ----------Bouhla---------------------------Heitinga------------------
    VDW----------------------------------------------------------Bouma
    ------------Van Bommel--------------De Jong-----------------------
    Robben------------------Sneijder---------------------------Kuyt
    ----------------------------Van Persie--------------------------------

Damn...hunteelar, Afellay and VDV still on the bench...

13. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There are zero good left back options except that Anita knows how to defend.

14. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No Mathijsen?

15. runnerup

runnerup Member

May 15, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Bert still has some of his darlings in the selection, players whom he'll likes in the team but with Persie and Huntelaar, and Affelay, and Roben&Sneijder, he has to create space.
    So watch out for either Kuyt, Nigel de Jong or perhaps even Strootman at leftback.

16. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

The left back is wide open and it would be premature to say something final about it. I think Willems and Anita hold the best cards, but who knows what Bert is thinking. Last friendly he put Schaars left back. Did he left an impression on him? Well he said in VI he did not do bad. I must have seen another game.

Bert has just said in VI he things Afellay belongs to the group of biggest players in the Dutch NT (big 6). He will win the spot over Dirk Kuyt in the coming weeks I think. Van Persie is in danger of losing his spot to Hunter who deals better with Sneijder behind him and the isolated position a striker in the Dutch NT is. Nigel will be chosen over Strootman I think as Strootman has had a unlucky second half of the season and problems with his knee.

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's also interesting to discuss who people think will be the final 4 drop outs.

18. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What about Kuijt as LB!? It would be hilarious..:)

19. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    • Lens
    • Maher
    • Siem de Jong
    • Bouma?

20. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The 4 drop outs:
    Bouma
    De Jong
    Maher
    Lens (It should be Lens.. But Bert likes Lens so I'm not sure)

21. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I actually would like to see that in a friendly. Kuijt on left back.

However my point remains. Bert has not put enough energy in the left back position. If it kills us a the Euro, I am not going to give him a free pass. I also would have liked to test Afellay and Nigel de Jong there. On top of that Viergever. We play stupid friendly's all year and he was not able to see how that spot was going to bite us in the bottom.

22. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agree. This is my 4 as well.

23. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Schaars HAS to be the most likely left back now right? He did ''ok/fine'' last friendly, and that is more to be said than of Willems at PSV last season. And Anita would be a complete gamble..(Not saying Willems doesnt show great potential, he does. But cant expect a 17/now18 year old to hold his own as a defender to worldclass wingers, infact he has shown no reason this season that he even could against the better eredivisie wingers, [again, no shame in that from a 17/18 year old])

That said, whoever will be chosen as LB will mean it will be our weakest link.
    A perhaps more interesting question, if BvM indeed doesnt play both Huntelaar and vPersie, will he be able to keep his job if he achieves anything less than semi-finals?

24. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I was half joking when I mentioned Kuijt. I can see how this can work, but the chance that it will work is like 1 / 10.
    Kuijt is good at two things: running up and down in slow motion like a donkey and losing the ball all the time.. So I don't think that's going to work. And Afellay is going to start in the wing, if not he will be the first MF sub (above VDV) I'm sure of that.

I hope Bert drops Lens, but I have a bad feeling that he is going to drop Narsingh..

25. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    You're probably referring to the goal.com article. Did you see that 312 people disagreed on that decison and have you read the comments? It was a 2 legged affair anyways, goal.com decided Mexes was the flop of the match in home game.

Urby was injured btw, so he wasn't even on the bench. :rolleyes: