"Nein, Frau, weine nicht": All-inclusive Olympic 2012 thread!

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Smulan, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Finally! After all this "the Team GB central defenders" etc stuff, the commentators have finally remembered that there is actually an adjective "British". :confused:

2. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    team GB mo mo bettah!

the gibis [​IMG]

were the adversaries of the shadoks [​IMG]

in a french cartoon series too old for me to have seen when it was on the ORTF but it's so cult here that you don't need to have ever seen it to know all about it!

strangely, in the show (called les shadoks) the bad guys (the gibis) were good: peaceful, sensible, intelligent and the good guys (the shadoks) were incredibly stupid and ornery. among their pearls of wisdom:

if there's no solution, there's no problem*.

why make things simple when they can be complicated.

and my favorite:

to make as few people unhappy as possible ALWAYS BEAT ON THE SAME ONES!

*this one actually stolen from marcel duchamp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Shadoks but if you can read it the french article is much better. why ZoBuGa when you can ZoBuBuGa ?

3. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Several people have pointed out that we're often harsher on our own teams than the teams backed others. In keeping with that, I present to you the civilian Olympic outfits for Team Sweden, as modeled by two of its football players. Who's got the better schoolgirl socks, Sweden or USA?
    (no, not really. well, those really are two footballers, according to a (usually) reputable source...)

4. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Sweden. Though I'm not sure about the sandals at all. They are really naughty girls for wearing knee socks with sandals.

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i don't know whether to rep you or scratch your eyes out for stealing my line.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you'll be hard pressed to find a pic of Abby *anywhere* in a skirt.

7. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    France v USA. Who has the sillier civilian suit? I haven't seen Team France's kit but Team USA's outfit is kinda French. Perhaps they can share.

And who to cheer for, for the game? Someone advised me to cheer 'for football', which is advice I generally scoff at. However, in this case, it makes a lot of sense.

As for Sweden v South Africa, well, it's almost a given that Sweden starts a tournament poorly, but let's hope they manage to pull this one off...

8. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if a select number of female athletes decided to go with the men's outfit instead of the skirt and socks... I think they're kind of cute in a preppy way though... Kind of...?

9. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    And you get that Huge Disappointment afterwards that makes you come back again and again.

11. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Strange that it's so addictive, isn't it?

Do not be fooled, Team Sweden's new goal celebration 'is quite advanced', says Lisa Dahlqvist to the radio people.
    sverigesradio.se/sida/gruppsida.aspx?programid=4354&grupp=17779&artikel=5207445

Even though it just loks like a bunch of people falling down dead.

since when do they have to wait for a goal to look like that??

12. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    BBC on the North Korea flag incident: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18995657

I like it that Hampden Park apologized, but then blames London. Honestly I'm surprised that Glasgow would fully trust anything coming from London in the first place. Actually, on sober reflection, it's a good job that they were able to somehow make the flag switch on the fly, kudos to them. (Half an hour surely counts as 'on the fly' when it comes to cracking and fixing a pre-approved media package.)

So what awaits us Saturday? My prediction: the French players are introduced under the Russian flag and immediately (and justifiably) go on strike.

But mistakes happen don't they? ('loks' instead of 'looks', for instance)

13. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With their non union FFF uniforms on show for the Olympics, it already look like the real French national team went on strike prior to the tournament any way :rolleyes:.

Can't we just call them team Europa, like the England women re-branding themselves Team GB?

14. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    are you finally coming out of your room guignol?

[​IMG]
    DON'T WANNA!

but france is playing north korea in just half an hour...

[​IMG]
    are they gonna win?

well we won't know unless you come out of your room will we?

[​IMG]
    if they don't win i'm gonna hold my breath until i turn BLUE!

but if they do win you'll tell all the nice people here how sorry you are for being so petulant?

[​IMG]
    NO!

now young man, that is no way for a moderator to act! you'll get a civil tongue in your head before halftime or i'll know the reason why!

jocasta repped this.
  15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy is as crazy does.

16. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Stolen from Upstairs...

Wine is expensive in Sweden, so it makes more sense to only flirt with it, rather than to try to acquire it in some meaningful fashion. Some people can't stand this state of affairs, and so they move to France (or Germany, although that hasn't worked out as well for anyone).

17. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Alright, they won, and in a convincing fashion, but you don't want to apologize? Okay, I'll give you two other options. You can 1) explain what on earth led to your loss of faith in the first place, or 2) throw more tantrums throughout the tournament.

(This message proudly sponsored by BS United Drama Queens Local 451)

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I posted this video here. But apparently I didn't. Or I'm blind and can't see my old post. Some players are better at lip syncing than others. But they all seem to be having fun. A b1tch1er person might point out that every player sans one participated in this silliness.

The US swim team has gotten more views for their parody--probably b/c they jumped on the "call me maybe" train.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see they used the

Don't tell us
    Don't show us
    Move us!

mantra they got from the motivational guru they have been working with. I trust he has something that helps them with taking PKs, too.

20. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    It's a shame a certain peroxide addict is having such a good tournament. The BBC commentators don't seem to have picked up the pronunciation cheat sheet, so keep extolling the virtues of "Rappin' O". Yo. Very yo.

21. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Since I'm lazy (and averse to having to watch this kind of stuff), I'm going to just ask who.

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solo.

23. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I can't believe I saw this.... but Star Trek Solo was in the back of the line-up when they were all there dancing on the beach (?).

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you sure? I must have missed her. b/c when I noticed she was the only one w/o a 'close up' moment, I looked pretty closely at the group shot. Guess I missed her. I'll look again after the game.

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caption, anyone?

[​IMG]