"Nein, Frau, weine nicht": All-inclusive Olympic 2012 thread!

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Smulan, Apr 24, 2012.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    tweeting sensitive information to the hoi polloi?double plus ungood!

2. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    These are the ugly Team GB jerseys they will use:
    [​IMG]

The British women will wear them as well. Anyone found a picture of them?

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that's a mock-up right? don't tell me adidas could be resposible for... hmmmm... for anything so... hideous...

never mind.

4. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    actually we've been pretty lucky with the drei streifen, but especially considering it from a women's standpoint. the marinière that the EdF had last season was a bit fey for the men but very fetching on the ladies (the blue, and the general old-fashioned cut looked better on them too); if OL's european shirt shocked at first it's really a very nice color, but again, looks much better on les fenottes.

5. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Interesting, that looks like he's wearing the women's version. Finally equality - both teams get to play in absurdly skintight clothing!

6. Flea2009

Flea2009 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Kirkcaldy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    That's Stella McCartney finest.

7. Jenson

Jenson Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Didn't know where else this would go.

Apparently Abby W has 'changed her hair again'. Shaved on the sides. Any pics/links to this frightening development. I await Smulie's BS Hair Correspondent's verdict...

Oh and others may be unaware of the random stuff leaking out of NI, claiming that three of their team have been told they were definites for the Oly squad. From the (not so horsey) mouth of one of the players mentioned: "It's a big lie. I haven't received anything about being in final squad.. Wish it was true but unfortunately not."

There was proper panic in Camp England on hearing the apparently misinformed news.
    The Team GB mystery continues...

8. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Looks good to me!

[​IMG]

9. Jenson

Jenson Member

Mar 2, 2005
    I'd also heard she'd trimmed down since the beer fest following the WWC.
    Your evidence suggests not. :geek:

10. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Well, there aren't really good close-up pictures of her hair, but here you can find an interview with Abby Wambach (in Swedish), in which she's wearing some kind of stripy sailor shirt. Toward the end, the interviewer asks if Wambach can guess what Swedish defenders say about her; she guesses that they say she dives. The interviewer denies that but then goes on to describe what Charlotte Rohlin said, which is basically that Wambach either decides to fall or not, and then does what she decides. "So she says I dive," says Wambach.

There's also an interview with Pia Sundhage (in Swedish), in which (as usual) she reveals her plans to lose the tournament, preferably to Sweden.

11. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    That's what people used to say about Birgit Prinz. Poor Birgit, so strong that nobody would make her fall, even on a foul, so she'd have to decide to fall sometimes to signal that she'd been fouled. I guess it's the same with Abby.

12. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    New Zealand-Colombia preparatory friendly at the "Matchworld Women's Cup" mini-tournament in Switzerland, here today at 3pm CEST:
    http://www.sportlemon.tv/v-4/2/58/v-425949.html

If you see a stream for Canada-Brazil from the same place later today, please post...

13. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Random shots from around The Internets...

Team USA's civvies are criticized severely by the NBC crowd ("Because nothing screams America like ascots and berets, right?"); click the link and see Heather Mitts looking like "a college student trying to fit in while studying abroad. She’s more likely to be chasing unshowered mustachioed men than gold medals..." Ouch!
    [the first slide on that page doesn't look so bad, but to get the full effect of the outfits, click through the slide show to the 5th one]

Team Japan relegated to economy class, although their male counterparts got bumped up to business, which is unjust even just going by age (let alone dignity), as Homare Sawa points out...

Also, Brazil defeats Canada in a warm-up, and the Brazilian defense is pointed out as improved. But that's not the disturbing thing— the disturbing thing is United's ad at the top of NBC's report of the match, which features a player (Italy, going by the kit, though they claim to be flying Team USA) whose upper half has been twisted a full 180 from her lower half.

14. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Ah, so they did score two more goals after I'd fallen asleep over the stream. :oops:

15. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    By a whole lot of politicians and random members of the public too: nothing says "USA! USA!" like a "Made in China" label.

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knew I should have looked around a bit b/f posting a link to that Japan flight story 'upstairs.'

The USA opening ceremony costume has been criticized by a lot of folks. Can you blame them? She's being forced to wear those socks with her skirt. Ralph Lauren has some 'splaining to do.
    [​IMG]

at least this go around the label doesn't say "made in Burma"

17. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The fun thing is going to be seeing Wambach with those socks.

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it were just the socks, I'm sure Abby could rock 'em ;)

It will be more amusing for me to see Syliva Fowles, Diana Turasi*, Abby Wambach in those skirts & berets.

*though the member of the USA women's bball team I think most likely to look at the outfit and go "what is this $h!t? I'm not wearing that" is McCoughtry--she's got the biggest diva rep of that group.

19. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abby in the whole kit really makes me nervous. Maybe it won't be too bad.

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just realized that the USWNT has a game (in Scotland) the day after the Opening Ceremonies. I'd think they wouldn't be able to attend it. So Abby will be saved (as will we all) ;)

21. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    It takes not much more than an hour or an hour and a half to fly to Glasgow. Plus, since the players would be dressed for the occasion, they could hop in and earn a few extra pounds by wheeling some trolleys around onboard. But I digress... Yes, the sensible thing to do would be to skip the ceremony which is a pity, since one of the highpoints of the tournament would probably be seeing if Wambach submitted to a silk skirt and ankle socks.

22. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. :)

But..but, wait....*whimper*...that also means HAO and KO won't attend, either. :'( They'd actually look cute, IMHO. :'(

23. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
  24. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The whole kit might not be so good, but I'm sure if she takes kool-aide's partial kit suggestion ('just the socks')... well, that would indeed rock.

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her espn body issue pics are much better than a certain other uswnt player who was in that issue last year...