[NDR] World Football Thread 2014

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Heft, Jan 2, 2014.

1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Team KKK Rangers got relegated to the depths of the SFA pyramid, it is Celtic's to lose no doubt.
    However, Hearts has shown here in there to give a good account of themselves but at the end of a long SPL season Celtic's talent gap proves too much and will win the points haul for the foreseeable future.

ChrizG13 repped this.
  2. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never said they haven't. BUT...

...the difference between most Evertonians and the supporters of "other clubs" is that we'll call our players out for doing it. Baines, Barkley, even Arteta when he was with us. Moyes hammered Phil Neville after a match when he took a dive. We don't like it when other players do it. We don't like it when OUR players do it.

Other supporters believe it's part of the game and something to be accepted.

We don't.

bford repped this.
  3. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...oh and fair play to Crystal Palace yesterday.

They came in and played well and beat a very in-form Everton side AT Goodison Park. Pulis has them playing very well and very smart.

Too bad that we now are relying on Arsenal to drop points but when you look at the last four matches they have, I just don't see it happening. I think they win all four.

4. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freaking Everton! Can you imagine them playing Champions League football with such an ambitious young manager?? How did you guys ruin it and give that chance to the undeserving Arse'nal?
    @TXBill

5. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't agree that Evertonian supporters are special in that regard. You'll find supporters of every stripe in almost every club. I know plenty of Liverpool supporters that do not like diving, and many that see it as part of the game.

My opinion is that if a defender kicks a player, causing him to stumble, take a long touch, or lose the ball, I expect that player to punish the defender by going down on the foul, and not give freebies to the other team. The Arsenal v West Ham match showed a perfect example of a player being fouled in the 18, losing the ball after being kicked by Sagna, and staying up, only to not be rewarded the PK by the referee that the Hammers deserved. It was a freebie to Arsenal, and a commentator was gushing about how great it was that the fouled player did not go down. I say that it's naive to allow yourself to be kicked, fouled, and denied scoring opportunities by allowing the opposing team to brutally cheat. If your fouled, then show it.

6. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...because we bottle it in big games.

Now, to be fair, on Grand Old Team, I said we'd beat City and United but find a way to lose to either Hull or Southampton. I wasn't too far off the mark in saying we'd lose to one of the "lesser" teams, and we still haven't done the business against City and United yet.

7. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only go by what I hear and see and if you go on to a match thread on Grand Old Team and an Everton player throws himself on the floor, they'll get it both barrels. It just isn't tolerated.

Now, would they react the same way if we "won" a penalty in the last match of the season that won the game for us and got us 4th over Arsenal??? I suspect not as many would care if a dive got us into the CL and probably very few would.

For the most part, I'm sick that we even have conversations like this. This is something that can EASILY be dealt with by the FA and FIFA but they choose not to for whatever their motives are. Diving can be stamped out if the football authorities really want to deal with it. So far, they've shown (except in MLS) that they don't.

bford and Heft repped this.
  8. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    politely disagree. the responsibility to punish diving is assigned and should remain assigned to the game ref. whish they would grow a pair and take out the yellow.

Heft repped this.
  9. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It surprising how as EPL viewers we thought the Manchester teams were going to have the 1st and 2nd spot accounted for - Surprising and delightful to see Everton competing and to see Liverpool back in contention for 1st. This is why the Premier League IS the best league in the world even though I prefer LA Liga.

TX Bill repped this.
  10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it happened on a semi-regular basis, I'd be inclined to agree. 20 years of standings don't really show that, though.

11. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Moyes may be on the way out, with Giggs possibly the interim manager.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/21/david-moyes-sack-manchester-united

TX Bill repped this.
  12. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #112 TX Bill, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    I might agree with that IF there were additional referees assigned or having two referees (one on each side of the pitch) so that more eyes could cover more angles.

I think it's awfully hard for a referee to get the dive/penalty right every time and the linesmen aren't in the best position either. The game is played at a speed now that quite a bit different than 20 years ago.

Perhaps a referee behind the goal with the sole purpose of assisting the center referee or calling the dive/penalty himself?

I don't know what the solution is on the pitch but I can guarantee you this. You start punishing diving retroactively and it WILL stop. Of that there can be no dispute.

bford repped this.
  13. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reviewing the EPL table ran into something interesting which i'm sure has been talked about somewhere. Sunderland 4 games left - 3 at home - The 1 away game is at Old Trafford (possibly 1-1 tie? lol).

They would only need about 2 wins to stay in with some help and 2 of those games are against direct relegation opponents so 6 point games.

Exciting stuff- Would be nice to see Altidore end the season on a good note and possibly bagging some goals.

14. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunderland most defintely have a chance to stay up, which is amazing after Spurs smashed 'em 5-1 and you figured they were dead and buried.

Right now, I'd have to say the three going down are Norwich, Fulham, and Cardiff.

15. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep... replays of obvious dives that don't get cards should earn a one game suspension... this would put a stop to the majority of flopping/flailing/faking/dives

16. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I suspect Louis van Gaal, who heads the list for replacements, will be the next boss of the Mancs.

17. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Van Gaal without a doubt is a great coach - but keep in mind that Man U is looking for a long term replacement for their team not a 62 year old - This would definitely work however if the plan is to use Giggs as an assistant to groom him to take over in 1 to 3-max years.

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A MUST WATCH ON "THEATRICS" and what ruins the game for many newbies to our sport.
    Includes our old Wondo. His reaction is classic John Wayne Americana! A big "What da fuk you fakin' sumbitch! Get up!"

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13982828000269&key=40ca283ade7e55388a1bbb1a6f57b0e0&libId=95819fdd-bd75-4a3a-896a-c6dcdc984e91&loc=https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/sign-finding-of-mls-in-life-everyday-part-3.1163032/page-82&v=1&out=http://9gag.com/gag/anYWEyL&ref=https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/forums/mls-general.8/&title=Sign Finding of MLS in Life, Everyday, Part 3 | Page 82 | BigSoccer Forum&txt=http://9gag.com/gag/anYWEyL

19. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Liga MX clausura is down to the final weekend. A couple of clubs battling for the last playoff spots.

Also, Atlante will be relegated to the 2nd Division. It was 5 years ago that they were the best club in CONCACAF.

Heft repped this.
  20. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
  21. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, Uncle Bob will probably want to get in on that.

22. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    NRG Stadium will be a perfect place to hold any Mexico matches if they are invited to the tournament.

23. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Estudiantes Tecos and Leones Negros are playing for promotion in Liga MX. They are in extra time right now. It's on the Azteca America channel. A great atmosphere for this match.

24. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    [​IMG]

Not sure if the goalkeeper was just photobombing