[NDR]World Cup Qualifying for 2010 Begins [Multiple Rs]

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by El Naranja, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    costa rica, what the hell happened! you played 89 minutes 58 seconds qualifying you to South Africa.

congrats to Honduras, God knows they need good news right now. first WC since Spain 1982.

2. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a finish - and I bet I saw the team holding Dutkas purloined hotel sheet too

[​IMG]

3. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landycakes jacked it...lol

4. KotWF

KotWF Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's kind of funny about the way this turned out was that their manager got ejected for (according to the announcers anyway) time wasting - which explains in part why the ref added 5 minutes of stoppage time - and then the equalizer comes late in the 5th minute of stoppage.

Though I'm not an eastern mystic... the phrase "karma" comes to mind.

5. KotWF

KotWF Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh by the way since I'm thinking of it - though the partisan in me thought Altidore's yellow card in the first half was a little soft - overall the ref in the USA-CR match tonight seemed to do a pretty good job. I don't remember who he was or what country he was from, but if he doesn't have a better job somewhere else perhaps MLS should consider hiring him...

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benito Archundia of Mexico. *rey* will be running in here to tell you how good his favorite ref is. I agree that Archundia is good, in the U.S. matches that he does I've never sensed the slanted or cheating element that is in CONCACAF.

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there was a little justice in there for Honduras somehow. Glad to see that they qualified; nothing against Costa Rica but Honduras has what I think is a stronger squad with a chance to make some noise in South Africa. Kind of neat that Pavon got the goal.

In one of these threads (maybe this one), I noted that you never want to go to the final day of qualifying needing a result if at all possible as in each cycle there always seems to be a last second goal in stoppage time that knocks a team out of the the World Cup somewhere in the world - this cycle it turned out to be Costa Rica or Uruguay who will be the victim.

I actually turned on mun2 again and saw the Mexico match a bit. The US & Mexico matches both had a weird feel with the teams playing a bit cautiously and no one wanting to risk a red with the goober CONCACAF refs. Don't take much out of it but the US tie down a man in stoppage time was cool.

Only negative was Onewyu's injury - that could be bad.

8. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lots of familiar TA and American Outlaws Houston Chapter folks on TV. I saw both Sam's (of the Whiskey and Vandaley variety), Mabeuf and a few others as well as some familiar faces from previous travels. Good for you guys and gals, have fun and safe travel back here.

9. CLakeCracker

CLakeCracker Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Downtown
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed whiskey sam, but I did see Sam (art), max (mabeuf), Dutka, Brandons (both varieties), Hexsel, the Masons (the complete pair)

10. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Results for Wed., 10/14...

CONCACAF
    USA 2-2 Costa Rica
    T&T 2-2 Mexico
    El Salvador 0-1 Honduras

Honduras qualifies for WC, Costa Rica to playoff v. Uruguay

Final table

UEFA
    Group 1
    Portugal 4-0 Malta
    Denmark 0-1 Hungary
    Sweden 4-1 Albania

Portugal advances to playoff

Group 2
    Switzerland 0-0 Israel
    Latvia 3-2 Moldova
    Greece 2-1 Luxembourg

Switzerland qualifies for WC, Greece advances to playoff

Group 3
    San Marino 0-3 Slovenia
    Czech Rep. 0-0 N. Ireland
    Poland 0-1 Slovakia

Slovakia qualifies for WC, Slovenia advances to playoff

Group 4
    Germany 1-1 Finland
    Liechtenstein 0-2 Wales
    Azerbaijan 1-1 Russia

Russia advances to playoff

Group 5
    Bosnia-Herzegovina 2-5 Spain
    Turkey 2-0 Armenia
    Estonia 2-0 Belgium

Bosnia-Herzegovina advances to playoff

Group 6
    Andorra 0-6 Ukraine
    England 3-0 Belarus
    Kazakhstan 1-2 Croatia

Ukraine advances to playoff

Group 7
    Romania 3-1 Faroe Islands
    Lithuania 2-1 Serbia
    France 3-1 Austria

France advances to playoff

Group 8
    Ireland 0-0 Montenegro
    Italy 3-2 Cyprus
    Bulgaria 6-2 Georgia

Ireland advances to playoff

Final tables

CONMEBOL
    Peru 1-0 Bolivia
    Brazil 0-0 Venezuela
    Chile 1-0 Ecuador
    Paraguay 0-2 Colombia
    Uruguay 0-1 Argentina

Argentina qualifies for WC, Uruguay advance to playoff v. Costa Rica

Final table

Final round of matches in Africa will be 11/14 - winners of Groups A, B and C still to be decided.

11. 60-90 Days

60-90 Days New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    It seems very rare that this happens, but I was very glad to see their "passion" rewarded with a goal scored and no guaranteed spot in Africa. I am glad to see "passion" biting them in the a$$.

12. GAleno2001

GAleno2001 New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    West Hou
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our guys lost their concentration on the game on those two goals. But they made up for it in the second half. I could see their determination in their game. And at the end, the second goal was a goal of attrition.
    Some from the CR side used theatrics for time wasting, yes, but at least we did not play Panama. Those guys would chop your legs off the game. Players and coaches will do everything to psych opponents out of the game, by fair or unfair means. Our guys kept their composure and place themselves in the opportunities to score. Good game for the US of A.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just another night of beer, friends and WCQ drama.

I will tell y'all this stuff is getting old.
    I need some excitment in my life.

14. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milan wants to get paid for Gooch's Injury:

I always liked Inter better anyway......;)

15. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Benito Archundia of Mexico. i was about to run in here and tell you how good my favorite ref is. :p

if there's not a CONCACAF team in the WC final. Archundia is getting the call. i'm calling it now.

OK now that you've seen something you think is rare, but is not as rare as you think can you pipe up about it. a competent ref adds all the time that is illegally wasted. no need to change the rules, no need to get panties all in a knot. on top of it, it was a FMF ref that properly administered the rules. so can you kill the act. thanks.

STFU!!! you buy quality players that play for theire respective Natl Teams and you run the risk of them getting injured when they're away. that's the way it works. in that case buy some MLS bench warmers who don't get called up and you won't run that risk. jerk-off.

16. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Well you've been paying his salary for the last two months and he hasn't been playing. What's the difference?

17. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious if AC Milan remembered that Onyewu was still on their roster before the US/Costa Rica match.

18. CLakeCracker

CLakeCracker Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Downtown
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In hindsight, it probably was time wasting by the CR coach. But at the time I was trying to figure out what he was trying to do. It appeared he had already announced (named) a sub to come off to the 4th official. Then before the sub was officially made, he had a player go down injured and he wanted to change the sub named for the injured player to come off. Someone with knowledge tell me, can you change the sub coming off once you already announced who you wanted to come off originally?

19. zolafan

zolafan Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, I don't think he was sent off for timewasting, but for either berating the 4th official during the dispute over the sub or for being out of the technical area too long...

20. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vandaley in glorious HD!

21. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I spit my food out when it began ;-)

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else think that Ching's spot on the WC roster might be in jeopardy or at least in question? Davies being hurt probably helps but I've yet to really see why he did not dress for the last two games and that concerns me (since he doesn't show up as injured for the Dynamo).

23. ra azua

ra azua Member

May 10, 2009
    houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    if ching got injured while away at usmnt duty.. then i want compensation. we cannot play a player who cannot play.

24. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's probably a bad form issue. Ching hasn't really been all that good for club or country for a couple months now. The good news is he has plenty of time to straighten that out, but if the WC started tomorrow, I think he'd probably be on the outside looking in.