[NDR] World Cup 2010 Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Art Vandaley, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The better team won, Germany deserved to lose for the way they played that game. Incredible to play an entire tournament in an Anti German fashion only to revert to it in a Semi. I told my friend at the half, if Germany comes out and plays the same way after the break then Spain will score in the 78th minute and Germany will finally try to play but it will be to little to late. (so i was off by a couple of minutes)

At least I am still sitting pretty with my pre tournament picks in our pool.

Winner: Spain
    2nd: Brazil (oh well)
    3rd: Germany

And to think some of the people that Pre Tournament thought there was no way this young German team would come in 3rd are now disappointed...;)

2. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    World Cup confession:

Puyol gives me nightmares.

Honestly, I haven't been able to sleep since I realized that he reminds me of one of my sister's old boyfriend (about 90 years ago). The jerk used to wrestle me to the ground and bully me all the time.:(

Good thing she didn't marry the hijo de...

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good tournament by Germany. That young team should be a force for another cycle.

Spain played a tremendous game Wednesday. No shame losing there 1-0. (Except perhaps for the orange cone impersonation on the goal.)

4. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agree with you, I found this to be one of the most enjoyable games.

Despite having scary Puyol in their roster, HOPE THE ESPAÑOLES WIN LA COPA!

5. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I loved him in The Life of Brian.
    [​IMG]

6. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be awesome, but I don't think Houston is included. Why not? I think it's in Edwards theaters, I've seen them say "in 3D and Imax" in California. That would be amazing to see the games in 3D Imax....

8. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juego thoughts going into The Grand Final Sunday:

Spain is wonderful. A bunch of guys who look like they should be doing your taxes passing circles around the big fast athletes of other teams. With two animals, Pique and Puyol, in the back securing the fort.

Having said that – watch for the Dutch to knock the X-men on their butts a few times. Germany was not physical enough. The Dutch will have no qualms about testing the patience of the referee. Watch for the Ref to struggle with the difficult task of balancing his objectives of letting them play and not being a big influence against protecting the skillful Spaniards. How he decides to handle things could have a big impact.

Howard Webb, the ex-policeman from England will have the center. He could go either way, as his policeman sense of justice could lead him to punishing the Dutch. However, English Football is MUCH rougher than Spanish futbol. He has certainly demonstrated in his career a willingness to make big decisions. His instincts should give the Dutch plenty of leeway to disturb the Spanish who are used to the kitt-glove treatment of Spanish referees.

The Dutch will try to take the game to La Furia, make Spain defend and create a game of equal opportunity. Espana will attempt to press the Dutch back into their box then pick their way carefully through them – just like they did with the timid Germans.

If the Spanish can successfully push the Dutch deep and consistently win the ball high up the field – vulnerabilities in the middle of the Dutch backline are right where the Spanish like to exploit. Watch for how well the Dutch central defense are able to stay connected and deny any space at the top of the box. They have struggled with this.

The threat for Spain is Arjen Robben streaking forward and Wesley Schneider’s ability to get him the ball in dangerous situations. I don’t rate Spanish outside backs as being defensively sound. The Dutch are perfectly setup to exploit them.

These are two of the three best teams in the World meeting on the grandest stage with players pursuing their once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to realize their greatest dreams. There is simply nothing like it in human sporting endeavor. Perhaps not in human endeavor – due to the magnitude of their people’s attention on the event.

Two men: Von Brockhorst & Puyol. Captains of their sides. One will lift the Jules Rimet Trophy this Sunday in a moment that will become the defining image of their society for generations. The only image in our culture that is comparable is the image of Neil Armstrong stepping from the Apollo Lunar Module.

Two men. Both at the end of their careers. Former teammates at Barcelona. One will make history and become an icon for their entire country.

Epic.

9. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2010 FIFA World Cup Final
    07/11/2010 Experience the 2010 FIFA World Cup Final Game Live and in 3D on July 11th, 2010 at 2:30pm ET / 1:30pm CT / 12:30pm MT / 11:30am PT in select movie theaters.

Participating theaters:
    Regal - Long Beach 26 with IMAX - Long Beach, CA
    Cinemark - Bel Mar 16 - Lakewood, CO
    Cinemark - Cinemark Paradise 24 - Fort Lauderdale, FL
    AMC - Sunset Place 24 with IMAX - Miami, FL
    AMC - River East 21 - Chicago, IL
    Cinemark - Century 16 Deer Park - Deer Park, IL
    Regal - Lincolnshire 20 plus IMAX - Lincolnshire, IL
    AMC - Olathe Studio 30 with IMAX - Olathe, KS
    AMC - Garden State 16 with IMAX - Paramus, NJ
    Cinemark - Cinemark 24 (The Legacy) - Plano, TX
    AMC - Huebner Oaks 24 - San Antonio, TX
    Cinemark - Cinemark 18 Webster - Webster, TX
    Cinemark - Century Theatres Federal Way 16 - Federal Way, WA
    AMC - Southcenter 16 with IMAX - Seattle, WA
    Regal - Thornton Place with IMAX - Seattle, WA

Link

10. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if and when the closing concert will be broadcast here? I was reading that it's supposed to be better than the opening one, and Shakira will sing again.

11. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It'll be on Univision per their twitter.

12. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I didn't see it on my program guide.

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's pretty clear that the Dutch know Howard Webb won't pull out a red in the final unless someone is dismembered during the run of play and are taking full advantage of it.

Quite honestly, this has been a pretty disappointing first 30 minutes.

14. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCmz2ymM1qU&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Spain Vs netherlands-Man tries to touch the Fifa World Cup Trophy ( exclusive)- new Jimmy Jump[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtXZ_14FfQw"]YouTube- De Jong Kick To The Chest On Alonso Yellow Card Spain Vs Netherlands World Cup Final[/ame]

15. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Of course, he's not the dirtiest, but he is dirty AND stupid (he's on my list, up there with Pescadito). I liked the title of this article anyway:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sp...de-jong-the-dirtiest-player-in-the-world.html

Is Nigel de Jong the dirtiest player in the world?
    Nigel de Jong has a bad reputation. After his flying karate kick on Xabi Alonso today, everyone who didn’t already know learned the reason. De Jong is reckless, and more often than not, dirty. On several occasions in the 2010 World Cup, de Jong came within inches of severely injuring someone. Perhaps even more amazing than de Jong’s recklessness is the lack of punishment for his actions. Nowhere was that more evident than today.
    De Jong only received a yellow card for his ninja kick. That’s it. Some may argue that head referee cut de Jong some slack because it was the World Cup Final. If that is true that’s unfortunate. While it is understandable to not want to ruin a team’s chances in such an important game, de Jong knew full well the potential consequences of his actions. I expect better out of such a well-respected referee. Still, de Jong has been getting away with his dirty play all tournament. He received just two yellow cards prior to the final, the second (against Brazil) causing him to miss the semifinal. Still, de Jong’s dirty history extends beyond the past month.
    How is de Jong not sent off there?? Reckless challenge.. Again.. @stuholden22
    Stu couldn’t have said it better. Holden nearly lost his entire season at Bolton because of de Jong’s reckless play in a meaningless friendly on March 3rd. Sliding in with both feet, studs up, de Jong completely missed the ball and struck Holden’s ankle, fracturing his right fibula. Luckily for Holden, the break was minor and he only missed six weeks. Again, de Jong only received a yellow card. How de Jong gets away with his dirty play is beyond the comprehension of most people.

17. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Howard Webb was terrible. players beforehand know a ref's tendencies. something tells me that de Jong and van Bommel were licking their chops when he was assigned to this match. there's not a doubt in mind that the karate kick was a red. regardless of the time elapsed and the importance of the game, it is the ref's responsibility to administer justice or if not watch the game lapse into anarchy. unfortunately, by letting them play Webb turned the WC final into an unwatchabe Premiership game.

WWAD? - What would of Archundia done?

18. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This is awesome. Great way to end some great coverage from ESPN/ABC

U2-ABC 2010 World Cup Final Montage

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH9aCqfXwW4"]YouTube- U2-ABC 2010 World Cup Final Montage[/ame]

19. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Univsion final montage was also killer.

20. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will the Spanish victory unite Spain? I thought this was interesting.... probably a lot of people, other than Iguzki, might be surprised that many in Spain were rooting for the Dutch.

Viewpoint: Does football unite Spain?
    Pride in Spain's victory in the World Cup does not translate into a new spirit of national unity, Catalan journalist Walter Oppenheimer says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10610414.stm

21. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ja, ja, doubt one thing has to do with the other, amigo Brahma. Those who want more independence will fight for it regardless of the success of their unified futbol team.

Incidentally, speaking of Spain, those who are dying to buy a nice Spain's David Villa Jersey should order this one:

[​IMG]

Don't blame me, that's what's advertised here:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/adidas-David-Villa-Soccer-Jersey/dp/B002I6X2BS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1279070495&sr=8-6"]Amazon.com: adidas #7 David Villa Spain Home 09/11 Soccer Jersey (US Size: XL):Â…[/ame]

(hopefully they won't delete the link before you click on it)

22. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly you are wrong, most people are not the "independence at all cost, I hate you if you are not from my region, I will not speak Spanish to you" type, those extremists in the Basque region and in Catalunya are a minority even in the independence circles.

Most people struggle to define who and what they are, see the practicality of staying part of SPain and see at the same time the romanticism of becoming an independent country, they hate and love Spain up to some degree.

Nothing unites more than a war, a common enemy, or winning the world championship of the most popular sport in your country.

Seeing huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge celebrations in Barcelona, Bilbao, Coruña, of people celebrating with that flag, made it all clear that many of the people that were still struggling to define themselves just found the reason to embrace their hispanity.

Talking to many friends and family members in Vitoria, Bilbao, Donostia and Portugalete made it clear that even during one of the worst economic crisis in the country, 11 guys kicking a ball probably tipped the scale to the side of the unionists, that is the power of soccer Hydro.

23. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm curious why you started your post with the word "sadly", Eguzki.

I wish I was wrong Eguzki, but I doubt people change because of a world cup. Some people really have their ideals strongly tatooed on their hearts and brains.

Last year, over 90% of the voters in small villages in Catalonia selected the "F*** U Castillean Spain" option. Of course, only 27% voted. That tells us that there are hard core people who want independence, but they may not represent the majority of the people!

This past week, I quitly watched the news from Barcelona. I was surprised at the more than 60,000 people who protested against Spains Constitutional Court. Catalanes appeared particularly pissed at the Constitutional Court's decision that "the Spanish Constitution does not recognize a nation other than the Spanish nation". And many other of the Court's decisions (that only took 4 years to debate!)

While Spaniards were celebrating the "national" team's success in Africa, Catalanes were on the street in Europe:
    http://www.elpais.com/fotogaleria/e...nder/Estatut/elpgal/20100710elpepunac_1/Zes/1
    (hope the link works, particularly the ADEU ESPANYA link: http://www.elpais.com/fotogaleria/C...nder/Estatut/elpgal/20100710elpepunac_1/Zes/6 )

I wouldn't mind being wrong, though. I believe Spain would benefit from having an efficient centralized government. Of course, detractors point out that a unified government has not stopped Spain from almost-going into a huge economic crisis:
    • Spain has the worst unemployment in those countries that use the Euro, 20%. In Europe, only Latvia (a non Euro country) has higher unemployment.
    • Spain has a debt of about 10ish% of GDP. Of course, Greece and Ireland's debts are worse, but Spains debt is quite scary!
    But in the end, as Zapatero abandons some of the government's left-side endeavors, Spain may overcome its economic issues (he's now, as I understand it, limiting spending and reducing pensions and walfare, is that true?).

Let's give it a bunch more years and see what happens? Separatists may have political or economic reasons ("we are tired of financially supporting them other lazy regions"). I really take no side on this issue, and respect Vascos and Catalanes for choosing whatever option they want. I am just saying, I don't think a game changes a person's heart.

And if you want more down-to-earth references, I have a "a buddy of mine told me" story too:
    In college, I met a guy who claimed he had been an army ranger in a central american country. Whenever we got drunk, he used to brag about how they had been trained to kill people with their bare hands. :rolleyes: One sick story he told us is how during a soccer game, the soldiers and their prisoners all got together to watch TV, and when their country won, they all joined together in joyful celebration. The next day, they were back to torturing prisoners one by one. Our "friend" loved to tell details of how they made "them communist pigs" talk. He was a good goalkeeper, so back then we didn't mind his stupid sick stories. He was also good to have on our side every time a fight broke out...

Games make people forget for a little while, but then they wake up and go back to their own normal lives.

Incidentally, I wouldn't have believed this guy, but years later reading the NSA's documents (http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/), I learned that political conflicts had indeed created crazy war criminals out of normal guys (like the as#$%^ I had met in school).
    My best wishes to the Spanish lands and their people!

24. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I don't believe or want a unified Spain, but I know that practicality, being part of the European Union and the problems that companies would have if new countries appeared, make a unified Spain the practical choice.

Yes, lots of people march, object and want independence, those are the vocal minority, the majority as I said, have a problem deciding what they really want, for many, the Spanish National Team just made their choice easier.

25. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo