[NDR] World Cup 2010 Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Art Vandaley, Nov 30, 2009.

1. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Uruguay has been solid this whole tournament esp the 'D'. in group play they held France, Mexico and South Africa scoreless. gave up a goal on a free kick to S. Korea on a miscomunication between GK and defender and a freaky knuckle-ball goal to Ghana, so in 5 games/480 minutes they haven't given up a 'real' (if you will) in the run of play.

if they can keep the Dutch scoreless they can do this. although the Germany vs. Holland final is likely, it wouldn't surprise me if we had a Uruguay vs. Spain final.

i pick Uruguay to be the first finalist.

2. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet Uruguay 125-1 to win the World Cup a month ago, LETS DO THIS!!

3. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Kiss your money goodbye. I'm as romantic as the next guy in thinking Uruguay represents the Americas and what have you. but they are playing on borrow'd time. nobody kissed Maradona ass for using his hands to put one in and nobody should be happy Suarez used his hands to prevent one from going in !!

Karma is a biatch !!

4-3 The Dutch

Furia vs. Clock Work Orange Final

4. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany is playing well, but I would like to see Holland v Spain in the final, a replay of the 80 Year's War of the 1500s. Spain will be out for revenge....

5. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Holland up 1-0.

Until Forlan scored 1-1

------
    2nd half Holland scores 2-1 and again 3-1
    and now Uruguay score 2-3... what heart.

6. el nordissimo

el nordissimo Member

Jul 31, 2008
    "018"
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awante Hapsburg!!!

7. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    we didn't get a good replay, but the 2nd Holland goal looked offsides. in reality, i'm being selfish because i really wanted 30 minutes of this game. whata f'n game!

speaking of replays, did ESPN show one of the last Uruguayan flurries in the 93rd minute where it looked like a handball? Univision never showed a replay but the ball looked like it bounced off someone funny-like.

8. dadcoachref

dadcoachref BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
    Crosby
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good game...lots of heart by Uruguay...2nd goal was offside in my opinion...Van Bommel got away with murder again...did not see a replay of the last flurry yet...that Uruguayan was fortunate to not see a RC when he bicycle kicked a Netherlands defender in the face...

in a side note, the octopus chose Spain...:p

9. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'll check on the replay when I get home rey, I was watching a british feed at work.

10. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    Either your boss is really cool or he don't know this :p

11. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. I can't help but point out the historical irony that the Dutch are heading to the World Cup final in South Africa -- given the fact that the (long dead and gone) Dutch are most responsible for the apartheid system established in their former colony.

That Germany -- their partner in South African emperialism could join them in the final is just too much.

12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Van Bronckhorst goal. Oh my lord.

Goal of the tournament. I had kinda hoped that it would stand up as the winner. Just to spotlight it.

13. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    http://tweetphoto.com/31203717

14. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second dutch goal was a reply of the USA vs Italy goal from 2006 that was called offsides.

15. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  16. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yah . . . I thought he was onside and they are "supposed" to error on the side of the attacking player. Goal was good to me.

17. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
    [​IMG]

18. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Puyol w/ the game winning header.
    -------------
    Damn that Octopus to hell!

20. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least I got my wish of having a new champion...hope to god it isn't Spain though.

21. dadcoachref

dadcoachref BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
    Crosby
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain should win...I mean they started 6 players from Barcelona and 3 players from Real Madrid...they had freakin' Cesc Fabregas and Fernando Torres available as subs today...in my mind it would be a mild upset for Netherlands to win...

the big question is will Van Bommel get carded?

22. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm ... the only team in the world to have won every meaningful game they have played in the last 24 months in the underdog.

L'0ranje have it right where they want it.

Barcelona was better than Inter. Inter won.

The Dutch will be much more physical with Spain than Germany was. The Dutch are also a bigger threat on the counter than a Mueller less Germany.

Interestingly -- the Dutch have looked vulnerable up the middle which is right where the Spanish Armada looks to sail.

I'll be supporting the Netherlands because Johann Cruyff was my childhood hero. The Dutch finally get a final where they are not facing the homeland.

Pretty amazing.

BTW -- I guess some people found today's Semi-final with Germany boring. Not I. Compelling fantastic futbol. Two opposing and different strategies.

For me, I'm left with one question: Why the hell would you ever use zonal marking on corner kicks??

23. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN right now is showing a fantastic special called "I scored a goal in the World Cup Final."

If they show it again I highly recommend it. It is tremendous film making. It will make you salivate for Sunday.

It goes thru what I think is every goal ever scored in the world cup final presented like one big game -- by the minute of the goal -- turning every world cup final into one big final. The goal scorers voices are heard -- and the incomporable joy of living your greatest childhood fantasy/dream is conveyed.

I can't tell you how many world cup final goals I scored in my parents backyard. Hundreds -- maybe over a thousand. Did you guys score some as well?

As a boy -- I had to score them for the Netherlands. (Though I have no real connection to that team other than they were my favorite team.) Now -- young American boys can dream of scoring for the USA in the World Cup final.

24. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    no i was born in Mexico, between my grandma's citrus trees i role played missing deciding pk's. :D

25. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They had that on the internet in short little segments a couple of months ago. It really is cool.