[NDR} US Open Cup Final 2009

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by BayVol, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone see any good crowd shots of the Seattle Fans that showed more than about 40 people? Not to slam the folks that went or Seattle Fans in general, more curiosity as Keller said "several hundred" in his postgame interview. Now maybe his math skills are as bad as mine but any of the shots shown during and after the game did not appear to be 100 much less several hundred.

2. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I was thinking last night, they said "hundreds" but they kept showing the same shot of about 40, with the same people, especially the fat bastard without the shirt on.

3. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto !!
    Didn't think I'd ever use that word.:( But yeah, maybe 40 supporters in DC. Notice how they stand in the section. It gives the illusion of being more than there are.

4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This looks like a lot more than 40 people. The W.Post writer that I link above was up there and estimated 150-200.

[​IMG]

You can't usually tell how a group looks or sounds by watching on TV. The images are limited to the camera angles and US broadcasters usually do a poor job of showing the supporters. They catch the DCU SGs only because they really have no choice. You also can't judge how a group sounds by TV. That all depends on where they place the mics around the stadium. It's like some guy on the FCD boards who said that he thought that the traveling Houston SGs weren't singing at the last game in Frisco because he couldn't hear them on TV. That's silly. There were no mics in the area. At least the TA contingent, while small that night, was singing and chanting the whole game. You just can't count on the TV broadcast to judge how traveling support looks or sounds.

5. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    ....You give us life, you give us fight
    We give them back to you

6. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While that may look like more than 40 it certainly also looks less than 150-200, so let's settle on 100 and it is really irrelevant anyway. ;)

Props to those that made the trip in Midweek for a Trophy that the majority of US Fans say they don't care about.

7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few dozen more people on either side of that shot behind some of those other banners that you can barely see in the pic. They did a great job getting over 100 people out there mid-week. Never count on the TV broadcasts for how traveling groups look or sound - hell, much of the time they don't even do a good job of showing the home supporters.

8. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those bastards. Told you we should have done my banner idea.

9. ra azua

ra azua Member

May 10, 2009
    houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

what next, "you'll never walk alone"...

seattle feels like liverpoo (giving em too much credit.) at anytime now sigi is gonna start talking shite like rafa...

10. mabeuf

mabeuf Member

Jul 22, 2006
    West
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game and there was no hidden contingent. That was the entirety of the traveling fan base, certainly far from hundreds.

11. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, clearly not "hundreds", but certainly over 100. Keller may have said something about hundreds, but we was probably still using the metric system. Bretos may have said that too, but he's marginally retarded.

Here's another pic that shows more people on the sides than the one above:

[​IMG]

12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you have a clear view of it? Montero acted like he stomped on his hand? Did Wickes clearly not do that?

(I'm wanting confirmation that my suspicions were correct.)

13. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't they throw the games into the season ticket package like every other CCL-bound MLS team? That will mean reported sellouts. Or will they look on it at a bonus revenue opportunity? My read of the Seattle fan base is that they will have full-houses for their CCL games.

14. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Cup Winner they only have one guaranteed home Match in the Qualifying Round so they would look pretty silly putting all their eggs in one basket before they are laid. That being said they may be the first to try a "Flex" Ticket approach here, you can use the Bonus tickets for the Group Phase (should they qualify) or use them for an exhibition game or what have you. That way they are in a STH Package which given the numbers they are projecting should still ensure a decent turnout even if their Fanbase thinks like a lot of other MLS Fans. But what do I know, I am not in marketing like all the MLS Marketing Geniuses are.

15. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to add anything more than what you already saw on tv, but if he had really stomped Montero's hand that hard with cleats, surely he would have been seriously injured, at least bleeding, right? But it did look like he intentionally was stomping something, so I don't have any trouble with the red. I just think he might have missed, which makes it odd how Montero could have been writhing so much...

16. mabeuf

mabeuf Member

Jul 22, 2006
    West
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw the replay on repeat in the beer line. It looked to me that he grabbed the left side of his chest. It makes sense that he was cradling his hand though. I also wrote the above post after getting home from the bar, so my interpretation was cloudy.

17. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, there is no clear way to tell what Wickes did nor his intent. He is either:
    1. Trying to stomp Montero and gets a little of him; or
    2. Trying to go back into goal and hops a little to avoid stomping him.

Mabeuf says it is #2 and he was there and saw it. I wonder where he was and how well he saw it. The camera angles are completely inconclusive, though it is clear that from the bench sideline it looks like #1. The 4O has to call for a red with what he saw.

Let me just say -- that Wickes did not act like he had just committed one of the cardinal sins of all goalkeeping. He was standing relaxed right near Montero after the incident. If he actually stomped Montero, which I admit is what it looks like from the camera angle, then he is a weird cat.

... and so is Montero. If you actually stomp on me, or most folks, they get up and challenge. Montero just acted like he was faking getting stomped ....

Again, it is all circumstantial and we don't know what really happened. I sure wish there was good video from the other side.

18. mabeuf

mabeuf Member

Jul 22, 2006
    West
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was housed when I wrote this. Not sure that my reporting is that good.

19. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    large groups that can't be accomodated in lower bowl and groups where there's animosity with Barra generally get put up there.

20. footyfool

footyfool Member+

May 8, 2008
    Houston

In other words, the folks in DC are already reserving the upper deck for next season when the Philadelphia Union supporters arrive? If we all tend to think the Seattle fans are annoying, I'm guessing we ain't seen nothin' yet!!!

If I recall correctly the Sons of Ben went to a match in DC last season and started taunting New York, or New England fans (I can't remember which one) before they were even given a team in Philadelphia!!

I'm looking forward to some great video footage of exchanges between the SOB's and Barra in 2010.

21. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Are you talking about MLS Cup 2007? I didn't even notice them there until the YouTube videos came out.

22. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember them, it seems like they were down to our right and in front of us somewhere, and they were obnoxious but i wasn't sure who they were until later on.

23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    wrong group but we'll forgive you this time :p

24. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not really relying on your testimony ... :)

It would be cool to hear from someone who actually saw contact. I read Wickes interview on it -- his statements are as inconclusive as the video evidence. He could have made those statements if he tried to kill Montero or if he tried to avoid Montero.

25. BayVol

BayVol Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Clearwater, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DonJuego...we all hear you. It would be great to have a perfect angle of the play but we don't it. He said, she said. Inferences many be made on both sides, regardless it resulted in a red card. Just because we didn't see the stomp and the right angle...I have heard many say Montero was faking...perhaps..but unfortunately embellishment is part of the game. I, for one, do not like it, but it is what it is.