[NDR]Thoughts on the tackle from ex-Dynamo Mullan

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by truthandlife, Apr 23, 2011.

1. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Eh... I'd hit it

2. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a)Internet, that brought free access to hundreds of papers, which created these problems:

Less people buy actual newspapers, which means newspapers have to charge less for ads on the actual newspapers.

Even tough newspapers have more viewers than befor thansk to internet, companies are not willing to pay what they used to pay for an ad on paper for an ad on the internet.

b) Twitter, even tough I don´t like it, more and more people get their news from twitter because they like a faster pace, people put a premiun on knowing something first, this is also killing newspapers by making people only go to specifif articles (most news on Twitter link to the particular news story)

c) Having channels devoted to news.

But lets go with your reason, God knows the truth, the facts or reason has never stop you from believing something for wvwe and ever. ;)

3. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    print = dinosaur
    internet = asteroid

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Cable eats antenna TV's lunch not because it makes itself more easily available at a lower cost, but actually the opposite. It makes you pay and then delivers a superior product from the revenues. They actually show quality dramas and sitcoms network execs would suggest are dead. Network TV then tries to pinch pennies and keep up with costcutter reality TV like it's a newspaper. GIGO.

A huge percentage of web news blogging and reporting is derivative of the work of the handful of paid journos out there. Aggregation, etc. We sit here and spend a lot of time talking about what Ortiz, Ives, Goff, etc. say. Those are all paper people. I will believe the concept of hired journalism (slight spin from newspaper, but you do have to adjust for technology) is a dinosaur when aggregators do their own professional-quality reporting. Not just commenting, but reporting.

The Economist is significantly behind a pay wall and places like NYT and FT limit free access. The wave of the future is unfortunately providers getting their quarter first again. I think it'll eventually be like cable with pay packages for sets of content.

5. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

6. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how long should New England's player get for this?

There was a foul and yellow card awarded.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Life ban from USOC? Jk, I know the English FA mixes and matches punishment but I'm not aware of us issuing MLS punishment for US Soccer-sanctioned games.

Seriously, if he got a yellow I don't think he should be punished at all. Mullan got a red which places the associated suspension in league hands. I don't agree with ten games but suspension flows from the crime. If all the guy gets is a yellow he should get nothing more than a standard fine. Right or wrong we shouldn't be second guessing field decisions.

8. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    MLS will not re officiate the game unless there was mitigating circumstances (referee obscured from seeing the foul). I suppose USSF could levy a suspension which would apply to MLS but I have never heard of them doing that.

9. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, MLS has no involvement in this since it was USOC. I will also add that I have not seen the tackle just read the description that it was "from behind" which may be why the Yellow was awarded.

I don't really see that happening.

Actually the main gist of this example was that with all the outcry over Mullan v Zakuani in the Court of Public Adjudicators this little incident has gotten almost ZERO play. Maybe it's because there was little coverage for an Open Cup Qualifier or that it did not happened to someone from Seattle, just curious that no one mentions this as another case where a team loses a Player (his qualit is a non-factor) for several months due to a bad challenge. Whether it was intentional or not I cannot say because I have not seen it, however the guy scored two quick goals to get his team back in the game and is then taken out. Make of that what you will.

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I don't like them re-assessing or trying to do very much calibrating of the punishment to the supposed crime because I think that invites the very sort of subjective, un-even punishment some are complaining about.

I mean, for instance, how much of Mullan's suspension is intended to mirror his former teammate Clark's? How much of his punishment is a leg-break penalty when the real concern should be the action and not its result? After all, I don't want refs making calls or issuing cards based on the number of pained rolls a player can muster, I want them evaluating the legitimacy of the challenge. Players get hurt by fair challenges all the time, and I don't think it should matter if the player is liked or hated, domestic or foreign, unharmed or injured, because the deal is supposed to be that it's either a bad tackle or a handball, period, not a bad tackle in light of the situation, the esteem in which Zakuani is held, his chances at the NT, his popularity, the effect on Seattle.

Plus, there seems to be no rhyme or reason between 6 games for Sala punching someone versus 9 games for Clark kicking someone prone versus 10 games for a merely aggressive slide tackle. Wasn't 2-3 games the standard punishment when Tyrone Marshall did much the same thing to Kenny Cooper a few years back?

So you say that MLS is putting its foot down now, times are different. Of all things, does anyone believe you can legislate away hard slide tackles? Punching? Maybe. Kicking a prone player? Maybe. But slide tackles? Next thing I know we're playing HWSA coed rules.

11. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Rapids' Mullan haunted after causing injury to Seattle's Zakuani